Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

AS: Interesting Times-the 2020 USA thread

12345679»

Comments

• Our Daughter-in-law's family has a football game every Thanksgiving afternoon and does it to raise money for a favorite family charity. Lots of fun and part of the family Thanksgiving ritual for them. Sadly not happening this year. Our family had a Thanksgiving gathering on the Sunday before Thanksgiving for the whole extended family and friends, then each had their own individual at-home meals on the day. I miss that once I married and moved out of the area. Last year our son started doing that and hope they continue to do so once we can gather again.
  • I am having my two brothers over for Thanksgiving, and hopefully a video call from my daughter. We are ordering most of the food from Boston Market, which is tasty and convenient.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Your tales of football matches on Thanksgiving Day remind me of the tradition in Kirkwall, where I grew up, of a sort of 500-a-side rugby match called the Ba'. It's played through the streets on Christmas Day and again on New Year's Day, and if you're from a Ba'-playing family, you won't expect to have a big family lunch or dinner those days (having started at 1 p.m., some matches can last well into the late evening).

The exception is if Christmas and New Year fall on Sundays: Scotland is still sufficiently sabbatarian that the game will be deferred to the next day.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    When my brother mover to the US he wrote that Thanksgiving was the best holiday ever.
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    Happy Thanksgiving wishes from Europe to our dear American friends and Shippies, however your celebrations may look like this rather curious year!

We wish you well and give thanks for youse. :)
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Thank you, @Wesley J!

This year it's just me and the boyfriend. I'm making apple pie and mashed potatoes, and he's making pork loin chops with a rather magical honey and garlic sauce.
  • edited November 2020
    Try pork chops in the crock pot with a can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup and a packet of dry Ranch dressing mix.

Would love to have your friend's honey and garlic recipe.
  • Thank you, Wesley, and Ruth your dinner sounds yummy. At the Image house, the pie is in the oven, although a lot for the two of us, and the turkey breast is in the crockpot. Best wishes to all.
    What @Wesley J said - hope you all have as good a celebration as you can!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Daughter-Unit and dear Son-in-Law brought the dinner from Cracker Barrel. Not as good as home made, but it was tasty and we have left-overs! No carcass for a soup, though.

We did have a pie mix up. I thought she said that pie wasn't included in the dinner. (I'm still positive she told me that!) So I bought Pumpkin, cherry and apple pie and let Mrs. Publix make them. We ended up with five pies and one cheesecake! :lol:
  • jedijudy wrote: »
    We did have a pie mix up. I thought she said that pie wasn't included in the dinner. (I'm still positive she told me that!) So I bought Pumpkin, cherry and apple pie and let Mrs. Publix make them. We ended up with five pies and one cheesecake! :lol:
    That sounds like a most excellent and fortuitous mix up.

The turkey has been eaten here. I did it this year, and my wife, bless her, said it was some of the best she’d ever eaten. (I’m actually not a turkey fan, but I thought it wasn’t too bad :smiley: ).

We had us and our two college students, my mother-in-law who lives around the corner, brother-in-law who lives a mile away and his daughter and son-in-law who are also local. It was a nice day.

• Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Thanks, Wesley.

Having a quiet day, alone. Watched much of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on TV. They adapted it to fit with Covid rules; and I think they did a pretty good job, other than some performing groups who stood too closely together without masks. But there were no spectators; most participants were masked and at distance; and those big balloons were hauled by vehicles, rather than being wrangled through the high-rise "canyons" by people.

You can watch it here, on Verizon's YouTube site. There's also a link to their "parade portal" with 360 deg. views, but you have to have a smartphone or tablet to use the portal.

I glanced at the YouTube version. It doesn't seem to have the fun "cold open" that Jimmy Fallon (host of the "Tonight" show) did at the very beginning. It may well be in other online copies. Most likely, there will be clips of just his segment.

A good, safe, and comfortable Thanksgiving to everyone, regardless of circumstances--especially those who are in food, rent, or financial crisis. May you get all you need, and soon.
    jedijudy wrote: »
    ... We did have a pie mix up. ... We ended up with five pies and one cheesecake! :lol:
    This is where you need KenWritez and his Leftover Pie Quotient. :)
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Piglet, I was thinking that very thing!!! :lol:
    It's time to dig up that thread again!
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    My "family" -three roomies and I- ate al fresco at a Thanksgiving brunch at an El Torito (Mexican food chain). Since we woke up to Santa Ana winds we were wary about how this would turn out. All was well. :smiley: The big dining patio was well sheltered and they had patio heaters. There were two main meal stations, traditional Thanksgiving and Mexican, a desert station, and a salad station that I somehow missed, and endless champagne mimosas. I tried a little of everything, but my biggest surprise was how incredible the turkey was! Yum! After I had stuffed the corners with good desserts, I wished that I had gone back for more turkey instead. :neutral:

So much good food, so little room.
  • The day after turkey soup is on the agenda, but it will be different as I have no bones for the broth. It will have to be made with chicken stock. I had not thought when I cooked just the breast this year it would be no bones. I am sure the soup will be good just different.
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    Lyda wrote: »
    [...] a desert station

All washed down with a dry Martini?
  • This year I cooked the Turkey outside in a smoker. I used cherry wood. Turned out very good. My daughter fixed most everything else. We bought an apple pie and a pumpkin pie from a local bakery and received another pumpkin pie from my boss.

We had a very good dinner. There were five of us at the table. We made a zoom call with all the other kids and their families prior to the meal.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    This year I cooked the Turkey outside in a smoker. I used cherry wood. Turned out very good. My daughter fixed most everything else. We bought an apple pie and a pumpkin pie from a local bakery and received another pumpkin pie from my boss.

We had a very good dinner. There were five of us at the table. We made a zoom call with all the other kids and their families prior to the meal.

That all sounds really lovely and very special, Gramps!
  • I had a good morning. My windshield wiper blade wore out and the one I ordered online did not fit. While out on another errand I happen to see an auto supply store. Having no idea which one on the display was the one I was after, I asked a clerk for help. Not only did she find the right wiper, but came out to the car and put it on for me. It made an otherwise annoying day bright again.
    Cool, GI--and accomplished with girl power!!!
    :)
  • My windshield wiper blade wore out and the one I ordered online did not fit. . . . Not only did [the auto supply store clerk] find the right wiper, but came out to the car and put it on for me.

I never realized how much variety there was in wiper blades until I needed a new set. The Amandamobile actually takes two different sizes: one for the driver's side, one for the passenger's side. But my experience was also that the auto supply store clerk was very knowledgeable about the subject and also installed the blades for me, no extra charge.
    I remember David discovering that the Pigletmobile needed two different sorts of wiper blades, and how odd it seemed.
  • Well, this was interesting. In order to transfer some earnest money to an escrow account at the title company to buy our new mobile home, I needed to use the zip code of the house we are buying as a security check. No problem I looked up the zip code at the USPostal service website. The title company put a block up saying this was not the correct zip code. They called me and gave me the "Correct Zip code." So I went with it, but somehow I am thinking that the postal service and not the title company has the right one. I will use whatever works for now but once moved will check again with post office. The woman at the title company was very instant that she was right. Okay.
  • Can you check with the current owner? Seems odd to me, before transferring money.
  • If the woman at the title company weighed in on the matter, and if you're sure it was her and not an imposter, then you're probably OK.

One thing I was told when I sold my condo is that fraud is rampant in the process of depositing escrow funds. I was told to be absolutely sure that the wire transfer instructions received from the title company were actually from the title company, and were genuine, and were not from a hacker, before wiring the funds. I had my bank check with the title company and verify that the instructions were genuine before they wired the funds.

I would have been immediately suspicious if I were asked to furnish the ZIP code of the new property as a "security check" and even more suspicious if I were subsequently told that the ZIP code I furnished, although accurate to my satisfaction, was in fact not.
  • Thanks, but I am sure it was the Title company as I contacted them, rather than they contacted me to start the process. My realtor gave me their contact information. Then they E-mailed me the forms to start the process, while I was still on the phone. That is when the problem started. The owner is out of the state.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    @Amanda B Reckondwyth
    Would love to have your friend's honey and garlic recipe.

Finally remembered to ask, and here it is:
    https://cafedelites.com/easy-honey-garlic-pork-chops/
  • Thanks. I can hardly wait to try them.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Hope you like them! (I always feel weirdly responsible about food recommendations.)
  • In the past 3 days, I have received one e-mail and two text messages telling me I need to register my handgun. Guess they thought I must have received one as a Christmas gift. In my 82 years, I have never felt the need to be armed, other than my shotgun in my early years when I went hunting with my dad for rabbits and quail.
    GI--

Can you verify who/where the e-mail and texts are from? It sounds odd. Unless maybe you're on a mailing list for notices from law enforcement?
  • No Golden Key, I am sure it is some kind of a scam so I did not reply.
  • BelisariusBelisarius Admin Emeritus
    Spam or worse--I got one of those texts too. More disturbing was a recent YouTube ad--A chipper woman extolls a side-holster, then some schlub in a car recommends it before flinging a door open and pointing his gun at the camera. Definitely not law-enforcement related; slight chance it was a parody.
    edited December 2020
    GI--

Ok. I read your post as you taking it seriously, and trying to figure out why it was sent.

ETA: I wasn't recommending that you reply, just verify the raw text header of the address, etc.
  • @ Golden Key, Thank you that was my first reaction as well but then I thought this does not make any sense, especially when I kept getting them. They can make things look so official these days it is maddening.
    As Miss Amanda has kindly started a new American thread for 2021, I'll put this one away in its box.

Thread closed.

Piglet, AS host