Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• So sorry to hear that @Nick Tamen
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Nick, when I took Georgie-Porgy fat'n'fluffy for her final vet visit the vet nurse said it was the last loving thing I could do for her.

It's still hard, even when you know it's right.
  • That’s sad, @Nick Tamen I’m so sorry to hear Casey has gone to the golden hunting ground. He sounds such a lovely dog.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    So sorry to hear your sad news @Nick Tamen. They are so much one of the family.
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    So sorry, Nick Tamen.
  • Another one here offering deep sympathy @Nick Tamen .
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    My sympathy, Nick Tamen.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    (((Nick Tamen and family)))
    It is so hard to do that last kindness for our furry family members.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    So sorry, Nick. RIP Casey. :cry:
  • I saw all the posts on this thread and wondered whose beloved pet had died. So sorry @Nick Tamen.
  • Many thanks, everyone!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I had my new hearing aids turned up and was amused to find how much Aroha mutters to herself. I have seen a couple of You Tube videos where a couple of cats will have "conversation" where they make noises to each other. bot none of my other cats have ever made this kind of sound. Patchy, a noisy tortie, meowed a lot, but this is more like the sound cats make to birds, crossed with a kind of musical grunt.

I think it happens most when I an not jumping to it to put out food or open a door. I suggested to her she might like to find another slave.
    Didn't you read the small print in the contract when she took you on? ;)
  • Bailey, my Persian, was a great one for muttering in his sleep. And snoring.
  • Our dog Snoopy has learned that excessive barking will earn her a squirt with the water bottle, and whining except in very good cause (pain, need to pee) will do the same. But of course she wants to communicate. So she has developed the weirdest half-groan, half-moan--except the tone of it is more along the line of annoyance/want want WANT, with a liberal splash of "come at me, bro". Which we find hilarious, and always respond to, so she'll keep doing it.

The other night I had had an absolutely horrible day, and we got to evening prayers and it was my turn to speak--and I lost it and said, "Dear Lord, RRRRRRrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRR" to the amusement of Mr. Lamb.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Some things are beyond words Lamb Chopped, I hope today is better.
  • Oh yes! That was ... not quite a week ago.
  • Huia wrote: »
    Some things are beyond words Lamb Chopped . . . .
    I believe St. Paul called them groans too deep for words.

• Today is Molly's official birthday. We have no idea how old she is as she was a rescue, but as we first saw her on St. Patrick's Day we choose that date. To celebrate we put a sign out and a bowl of dog treats out near the sidewalk where everyone walks their dogs. It was fun to watch out the window for both Molly and us. She had a number of takers and by early afternoon the bowl of treats were all gone.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    What a lovely thing to do GI.
  • What a fabulous gesture! And a very happy birthday to Molly too, it sounds like she enjoyed it :blush:
    Happy birthday, Molly! :) 🐾
    I think this is the best place to pop this. :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/Ts1iG5cgl8E
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I need that "killingme" smilie!
  • A new Olive and Mabel! Adore of course. Just what is needed to boost a slow Sunday :love:
  • It has been a very, very long two days. We are having a fence replaced in our back patio. While the old fence is down Molly can no longer use her dog door to go out into HER backyard, And if that is not bad enough there have been strange men coming and going by HER windows for two days. There has been barking, there has been growling, there has been whining and general vocal unrest. There have been pats, dog treats, walks, and more walks. There have been hugs and comfort. One of us is going to be very happy tonight when the job is finished and she can get some relaxing rest. I think Molly will be happy as well.
  • Ha!
    It has been a very, very long two days. We are having a fence replaced in our back patio. While the old fence is down Molly can no longer use her dog door to go out into HER backyard, And if that is not bad enough there have been strange men coming and going by HER windows for two days. There has been barking, there has been growling, there has been whining and general vocal unrest. There have been pats, dog treats, walks, and more walks. There have been hugs and comfort. One of us is going to be very happy tonight when the job is finished and she can get some relaxing rest. I think Molly will be happy as well.

Hurrah! They hate their routines being disturbed, don’t they?

Now that Echo has gone Tatze is expecting far more attention and she can tell the time to a minute! When we have a pup they keep her busy, now that’s our job - and one we do very willingly, of course.

• North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    As if there wasn't enough to worry about, Elizabeth was clipped by a car yesterday. She is a mostly indoor cat, and when she does go out she tends to stay in our back garden, so I haven't worried about the road before.
    She's highly reactive to other cats, so our best guess is that another cat came into our garden, blocked her route back inside, and she ran onto the road.

I'm not at home, but the rest of the NE family saw her run into the house in a tizzy, consistent with having had a confrontation with another cat. Fortunately the driver of the car stopped and came to the door to say what had happened so the NE Man whisked her straight off to the vet. Nothing broken, but she had concussion. She was kept in overnight and is improving. Once they are happy that she is eating / drinking normally, she should get home.

We are so grateful to the driver and passers-by. If they hadn't come to the door we would have assumed she was in a tizzy over another cat and by the time we'd realised it was more than that, the concussion could have proved fatal.
  • Poor puss hope she is home soon
    Oh no!

Get well soon Elisabeth. 🐾💕
    It's so wonderful to hear about a responsible driver who values the life of a kitty! Hoping for Elizabeth to be back to her sweet self soon! (And yes, that's something the NE family did not need added to their lives.)
  • Dog bathing tips. Molly went to a groomer at our old home in the country, it seems now that we are in the city the cost starts at twice the amount we were paying. A bit over our budget. She does not need trimming, just bathing and nails. I have figured out the nails. She did not like it up it was accomplished. Any hints on dog bathing would be most welcome.
  • cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    Run a warm bath. Put dog shampoo within reach. Attach hair-spray to taps. Spare towels on the floor and within reach. (All this out of earshot and view of the dog.) Coax dog with treat to the bathroom. Shut the door behind it. Lift the dog into the bath and immediately spray with nice warm water. Apply dog shampoo, especially around rear end, and rinse off with warm spray.
    Lift dog onto floor towel, and towel briskly with spare towel. Exit swiftly, not allowing the dog to follow you. The dog will rub itself dry on the towels. Let it out after 5 minutes or so. Reward with another treat. Empty and clean the bath at your leisure.
    If the dog is heavy this process may require two of you.
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    cgichard wrote: »
    Run a warm bath. Put dog shampoo within reach. Attach hair-spray to taps. Spare towels on the floor and within reach. (All this out of earshot and view of the dog.) Coax dog with treat to the bathroom. Shut the door behind it. Lift the dog into the bath and immediately spray with nice warm water. Apply dog shampoo, especially around rear end, and rinse off with warm spray.
    Lift dog onto floor towel, and towel briskly with spare towel. Exit swiftly, not allowing the dog to follow you. The dog will rub itself dry on the towels. Let it out after 5 minutes or so. Reward with another treat. Empty and clean the bath at your leisure.
    If the dog is heavy this process may require two of you.
    Reading this, I wondered at first why the hair spray - because I imagined an aerosol cannister of stuff for styling!
    Dog bathing tips. Molly went to a groomer at our old home in the country, it seems now that we are in the city the cost starts at twice the amount we were paying. A bit over our budget. She does not need trimming, just bathing and nails. I have figured out the nails. She did not like it up it was accomplished. Any hints on dog bathing would be most welcome.

Dogs shouldn’t be bathed. No guide dogs or pups are ever bathed unless they roll in something unmentionable. Nor are my pet dogs.

Their natural oils are stripped by bathing and then they get smelly. No baths, no smell.

Groom gently every day and wash their bedding often. No smell, I promise.

If they are smelly check armpits and paws for a mild yeast infection and get stuff for that.

🐾🙂
    Your dogs must live in very celan conditions @Boogie. What I described above was my technique for bathing two miniature schnauzers at a cottage in Sussex surrounded by fields of mud and clay in wet weather and enticing cow manure even in dry weather. Snouts, legs and under-carriage would be clogged with mud and worse after almost every walk. Fortunately the bathroom at that cottage was just inside the back door. . .
    edited May 2021
    cgichard wrote: »
    Your dogs must live in very celan conditions @Boogie. What I described above was my technique for bathing two miniature schnauzers at a cottage in Sussex surrounded by fields of mud and clay in wet weather and enticing cow manure even in dry weather. Snouts, legs and under-carriage would be clogged with mud and worse after almost every walk. Fortunately the bathroom at that cottage was just inside the back door. . .

We hose them down outside when they get muddy.

We used to pop our Cavaliers in the sink and wash them with water - every day, they got very muddy. In fact we even bought a dog washing sink in Norway, they have sinks for every purpose in Norway. (We were on a canoeing holiday in our big truck, so plenty of room for a sink :lol:).

The big dogs are easier as we can swim them in the stream or reservoir just before we get them in the car.

Water is not a problem, it’s the shampoo which strips their natural oils.

🐾🙂
    Ah, so I shouldn't have been using shampoo! Mea culpa, but the dogs survived.
  • @Boogie If they are smelly check armpits and paws for a mild yeast infection and get stuff for that.
    Her paws smell like corn chips, not a bad smell just strange. Is that a sign of a yeast infection?
    She really does not smell, but her coat is not so fluffy and shiny as when we had her washed.
    Okay, I will try the no washing just brushing each day after this one bath and see how it goes. Her bedding is our bedding, well a blanket on the bottom of the bed, but she is known to creep. So it gets washed weekly. Come to think of it my father never washed the farm dogs, or his hunting dogs. You might be on to something true.

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Plaque seen in a local shop today: "One cat short of crazy".😺😸
    That must become one of my frequently used phrases, Huia!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yes. I thought I'd cross stitch it when I finish my current project. The Cats' Protection League could sell them in their shop to raise funds and I could use up some of my stash. It also has the advantage of being shorter than most of the saying about cats that I have come across.

It's a win all around really.😻😸
    "Dogs have owners; cats have staff". :smiley:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    "Home, where the cat hair sticks to everything except the cat".
    I have one of my Grandkitties in my home! D-U and her dear hubby are on a very short vacation. Most of the cats are in the fancy kennel at their vet's. I had volunteered to take care of all four, but one is diabetic and one was showing signs of illness, so my kids feel better having them at the vet. The third cat is the brother of the one with me now, and D-U was afraid the two of them (just two and a half years old) would drive me up the wall! So he's with the other two in the fancy-dancy place.

Loki is a little love, and he's such great company!
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    Enjoy @jedijudy . As the plaque in my hall says, "A house is not a home until it has a cat!"
    How lovely @jedijudy, have fun!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    That's just a bit younger than Aroha, JJ.

Aroha did something really weird this morning. I has sitting doing some stitching and she jumped up and bit my ear. Not a hard bite, but I did feel her teeth, I had just washed my hair in some new shampoo and conditioner and I wondered if that had anything to do with it. I suggested she might go outside to play for a while. 😼
    Sounds like an invitation to play @Huia 🙂