Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Today I Consign To Hell -the All Saints version

Comments

• Do you not have a ballcock (or equivalent sensor)?
  • Do you not have a ballcock (or equivalent sensor)?

Yes, but it sometimes sticks...as it did today (curses).

Some TLC is required, but it seems that plumbers willing to work on the rather cobbled-together systems prevalent on Arks are as rare as truth from Boris Johnson's lips...and all the skilled Polish plumbers have gone back to Poland...(more curses).
  • HelixHelix Shipmate
    Oh I don't know how to phrase this one but I was shocked to see in a card shop in the UK today - more than 6 months til Christmas - and Christmas cards well advertised at a discount rate - to buy now !!!

Really?
  • Well, at least someone thinks we'll mostly still be alive to celebrate Christmas!
    :grimace:
  • HelixHelix Shipmate
    Good point @Bishops Finger - i like your optimism.
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    Last year's unsold, and no-one was in the shops to pick them up afterwards.
  • Possibly, but (more seriously) I wonder if someone is thinking that there is likely to be yet another lockdown before winter?

If so, buying stuff now does make sense...sort of.
  • PriscillaPriscilla Shipmate
    Helix wrote: »
    Oh I don't know how to phrase this one but I was shocked to see in a card shop in the UK today - more than 6 months til Christmas - and Christmas cards well advertised at a discount rate - to buy now !!!

Really?

My mother used to buy posh Christmas cards in the January sales. The problem then becomes remembering where you’ve put them come December.

• EigonEigon Shipmate
    We used to have a box of un-used Christmas cards that came out every year before we bought fresh ones - I'm pretty sure there was a card from the 1950s in there that was passed over every year!
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    We have a box of cards we add to as required. We have a couple of Private Eye Christmas cards mocking Tony Blair which have been passed over for the last couple of decades.
  • We have a box of cards we add to as required. We have a couple of Private Eye Christmas cards mocking Tony Blair which have been passed over for the last couple of decades.

Those cards may well be worth a few shillings in Mr E Bay's Online Magical Emporium!
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    TICTH the washing machine repair company.

We were supposed to have the second repair visit, with the replacement main board, two weeks ago. It got put back to today due to the part not arriving. Lo and behold, the engineer came this morning, without the part, and without mention of it on the job notes. He identified that a slug had fried the electrics, but I am still waiting for another nebulous date to fix it, four weeks down the line.
  • I'd be inclined to fire off an email asking to whom you should send your request for payment for having to use a laundry service/laundrette.
  • Grrr.

TICTH the broken hinge on my laptop...

I usually close the lid when not using the thing, to keep away dust etc., but if I now try to do that, Horrible Crunching Noises occur. There are YouTube videos on how to fix the hinge, but they seem to require (a) superhuman eyesight, (b) miniature tools, possessed only by complete geeks, and (c) the patience of Job (which in my case I have not got).

In any case, the first Horrible Crunching Noises were accompanied by various tiny bits of black plastic falling onto the table, and I doubt if any DIY job would compensate for their loss...
  • TICTH the dental practice I was registered with.

My last check-up was cancelled because of the first lockdown. I re-booked, only for that to be cancelled because of the second lockdown; re-booked again only to have that cancelled. I thought I'd managed to re-book for next Friday, only to get a letter informing me that "...since its been more than 18 months since your last check-up you have been de-registered. At the moment we are not taking on new NHS patients". WTAF, you cancelled my appointments. 👹
  • IOW, pay us lots of £££, as a non-NHS patient, and we will welcome you with open arms?
    :angry:
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    I'd be inclined to fire off an email asking to whom you should send your request for payment for having to use a laundry service/laundrette.
    I have got a complaint open. It's my time handwashing, or the MIL's goodwill that's been used.
    edited June 2021
    She whose parents came over as asylum seekers from Amin's Uganda (I hear) enacting laws next week to transfer asylum seekers to a detention camp in Ruanda to be processed if they have tried to get here by boat.
    If this is what is meant by British Values, someone has lost our moral compass.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    She really is rather evil, isn’t she?
  • What scares me is the thought that she might one day be Prime Minister, of rumpEngland, at any rate...

:scream:
  • TICTH the BBC, for spending 15 minutes of its 30-minute lunchtime TV news talking about the forthcoming England-Germany football match.

1. Many of us live in the devolved nations; these are not England and got much less mention when playing.
    2. There are more important things in life than football, and not even all sports-lovers follow the game.
    3. It was all prediction and atmosphere, i.e not proper news.

And all the schedules are disrupted, what with football and tennis (which people suddenly seem interested in for 50 weeks of each year).
  • It was reported a few days ago that the Brexit-induced lack of fruit-pickers and/or lorry drivers might mean NO STRAWBERRIES AT WIMBLEDON!!!!!!!

This, of course, would be The End Of Civilisation As We Know It, and proof positive that Armageddon is imminent.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    Absolutely agree with Baptist Trainfan.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Aravis wrote: »

Did you not know? Football gives a Lot Of Pleasure to Lots Of People and is therefore Very Important and any and all news time given over to it is Always Perfectly Acceptable.

Personally, I always hoped that once there were dedicated sports telly and radio channels it would all go over there and the rest of us could carry on our lives untouched by other people's hobbies that we happen not to share. Alas not.
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited June 2021
    KarlLB wrote: »
    Did you not know? Football gives a Lot Of Pleasure to Lots Of People and is therefore Very Important and any and all news time given over to it is Always Perfectly Acceptable.
    But this is English football and I live in Wales. (All right, I concede that one or two ex-pats, trapped on the 'wrong' side of the Severn, might have an interest).

• Oh dear. They won. More Of The Same is in the offing.
  • KarlLB wrote: »
    Aravis wrote: »

Personally, I always hoped that once there were dedicated sports telly and radio channels it would all go over there and the rest of us could carry on our lives untouched by other people's hobbies that we happen not to share. Alas not.

Bread and circuses...
    :disappointed:
  • TICTH the contractors who have spent the last n months digging up the roads of our village, scattering temporary traffic lights and road closures like confetti, trashing roads, pavements and grass verges as they pass.

And who thought that Sunday morning was a brilliant time to close off the vehicle entrance to the church car park, church centre and vicarage :rage:

All of which is exacerbated by the fact that they are doing this to install fast fibre broadband - which is not coming down our lane. No one can tell us why, or make any other helpful suggestions, so the 30-odd houses not being covered are abandoned in a digital wasteland. Unless we can all get together and dig our own trenches, I suppose...

:rage:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I feel for people over the sports broadcasts. Now that NZ has again won the America's Cup, and the PM has offered less than they hoped for (but far more than I would have) I am hoping that it can be hosted elsewhere. It's easier to ignore that way.
  • TICTH Bl#*dy DPD. They emailed at 07:49 to inform me my delivery would be delivered in "the one hour time slot 0756-0815".

First up, someone tell these muppets what constitutes an hour; second, how many people are crouched over their emails before 8am??? 😡
  • Helix wrote: »

My local mostly-Polish grocery store has chocolate Advent calendars in stock. I'm not sure if they're left over from last year, or getting an early start on this year.
  • I'm going to be rather uncharitable, and guess that they're last year's (and presumably not dated!).
  • Well, they might say "December 25th"!
  • Well, they might say "December 25th"!

Which would be Right And Proper, I suppose...
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Freezing weather here, so I bought a new heater. Neither the box it came in or the person who served me told me it had to be assembled with a certain type of screw (8 enclosed when only 2 are required) that needs a special type of screwdriver - which I don't have.

Tomorrow I will have to get on the bus with it and take it back to the shop - it isn't heavy, but it is an awkward shape for a short person to carry. Thank goodness the bus is very unlikely to have many passengers

I expect they will screw on the feet for me because it's a hardware shop and they have tradespeople working there, and they are usually helpful, besides if they don't I shall thcream and thrcream until I'm thick (with apologies to Richmal Crompton - I think it was Violet Elizabeth who was the original thcreamer).

Meanwhile I will wear 5 layers to bed tonight including a hoodie. So much for sexy nightwear.. (sigh)
    Poor Huia! :flushed:
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    Yes, it was indeed the egregious Violet Elizabeth Bott who threatened to thcream etc. etc. etc.
    :scream: :scream: :scream:
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Huia wrote: »
    Meanwhile I will wear 5 layers to bed tonight including a hoodie. So much for sexy nightwear.. (sigh)

Whereas last night I was rifling the drawers for something light enough to wear to bed. Eventually came up with a top I bought in Valletta (all of 5€) which is just two squares of an ultra-thin fabric. Very sticky day culminating just now in a welcome shower.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Firenze - Thanks, you reminded me that I would rather be too cold than too hot. After I had fed Aroha this morning I went back to my bed to grab my tablet for recharging I realised how much body heat was still trapped in the blankets. Only the fact that I had dressed stopped me going back to bed.

Time to go and see if I need to do a Violet Elizabeth impression.
    It's a pity the thweaming and the lisp hide how ready she was to join in crawling through mud and so on, and to minimise any Outlaw involvement to adults.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yes.

I took the heater to the shop and explained I didn't have a magnetic tipped screwdriver, the manual dexterity nor the patience to attach the feet - then it turned out that I didn't gave proof of purchase either, but they did it anyway. Actually the woman on the door said she would have vouched for me - one of the benefits of shopping close to home and being a frequent customer I think.
  • @Huia Brilliant!
  • Ethne AlbaEthne Alba Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    Cheerfully consigning automated telephone services hosted by UK Local Authorities.

No , I cannot seek my information on your website as I need to speak to a real life person, who is not picking up their phone or answering their emails. But apparently still wants me to reply to them.

Sheesh.
    I ‘ll be turning into a moss statue at this rate
    My NOOK. I have downloaded a book I want to read (not Gaudy Night, which is unobtainable) as a pdf, and copied it to my storage system, and then to the NOOK, so I can take it out with me and read it anywhere. I can read the pdf on any of my computers directly from the storage system. I can read it as a pdf on one of my hybrids as a tablet. (I think. I now think I had better check.) But the NOOK deletes, or doesn't copy, the end few pages of each chapter - within the single file which is the pdf.
  • I could find several sources for a pdf version of Gaudy Night: it seems out of copyright in different areas. I found it looking for a version of the book, so just Googled again to see how available it is and found at least four different sources. I could also find it a cost on Kindle.
  • Automated phone services are the pits, @Ethne Alba - sorry you're having those frustrations.
  • I use Nook and found it at Barnes & Noble. Don't know if country makes any difference.
    I could have sent you a paper copy of Gaudy Night when I was clearing our house in Fredericton. Dorothy L. Sayers was one of David's favourite authors*, and while I quite enjoyed the Wimsey books, I had no desire to read them more than once, so they went to the charity shop.

* Now I think about it, he asked me to bring some of her books to him in hospital; Gaudy Night may have been the last book he (re)read before he died.
  • BroJames wrote: »
    Is it Unitarian? Whittier, who wrote ‘The brewing of Soma’ from which the hymn is taken, was a Quaker. It first appeared as a hymn in Garrett Horder’s Congregational Hymns of 1884. I agree it could be sung without offending Unitarian or Christadelphian sensitivities. But my guess would be that it’s not the only hymn in the book which doesn’t assert the divinity of Jesus.

As a wedding hymn a couple might choose on their wedding day not to sing a hymn whose second line is ‘forgive our foolish ways’.

Yes, it's very Quaker, as we don't have Creeds don't expect Credal Statements, either Trinitarian or Unitarian. As much as anything it's a call for people to turn to the simplicity of Quaker worship and eschew the obscure distractions of other forms of worship. In some ways, it's odd that it's used as a hymn by groups whose practices that the full poem critiques. Personallly, I'd love to hear a full congregation and choir sing these verses of the poem to that familiar tune.

Some fever of the blood and brain,
    Some self-exalting spell,
    The scourger’s keen delight of pain,
    The Dervish dance, the Orphic strain,
    The wild-haired Bacchant’s yell,— 45

The desert’s hair-grown hermit sunk
    The saner brute below;
    The naked Santon, hashish-drunk,
    The cloister madness of the monk,
    The fakir’s torture-show! 50

And yet the past comes round again,
    And new doth old fulfil;
    In sensual transports wild as vain
    We brew in many a Christian fane
    The heathen Soma still!

[url="http://"]https://bartleby.com/372/197.html[/url]

• However a small unaccompanied congregation might well sing it without trouble. Please read one of the accounts of Marilynne Robinson Congregational Church to get an idea about what Congregational worship is often like. Hint: Congregational means governed by the congregation rather than by Priests as in Presbyterian.