Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Wordle

PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
Anyone been playing Wordle?

I got into it when my nephew posted a link to it on our family Whats App group, and to be honest, it's just as well they only offer one per day, or I'd be doing nothing else!

I'm not sure quite how it'll fly here: I'm thinking of people posting about their successes and failures.

Just remember: try and avoid spoilers - bearing in mind that we're in several time zones.

For the church music geeks, someone on Farcebark has set up a spin-off called Byrdle.

I'm not usually one to boast, but I got the first Byrdle in one guess. :smirk:

Comments

• It took me three guesses.
  • finelinefineline Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Yes, I've been doing it the last few days. I always want to chat about it on Facebook, but it's hard without giving spoilers. I find it quite a fascinating game, the mix of luck and strategy, and mix of word game and logic code game. I hadn't heard of Byrdle, but just tried it. Not sure why they call it a parody - it's simply the same game, but the letters dance when you get it right.

I've just realised that I've been always doing what is called hard mode - using any revealed hints in subsequent guesses. To me that is the easiest way to play, not hard mode,
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host
    I might have found that easier if I'd read the instructions first :grimace:
  • fineline wrote: »
    Not sure why they call it a parody - it's simply the same game, but the letters dance when you get it right.

And with a very restricted dictionary.
  • Um, there might be legal issues. If it's the same game (and it sounds like it), copyright applies. Calling it a "parody" might be an attempt at fair-use defense. But it doesn't sound like a parody to me.

I have started doing Wordle too, but am a bit frustrated with myself because I've already developed freaking strategies as I did for sudoku and can see the day coming when it'll be over way too fast! I probably need to go back to coding for proper amounts of frustration.
  • Wordle addict here!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Got Wordle in four today.
  • Gracious RebelGracious Rebel Shipmate
    edited January 2022
    Thanks for link to byrdle....I too got today's in one! That's what comes of having a restrictive dictionary I guess
  • Gracious RebelGracious Rebel Shipmate
    edited January 2022
    There was controversy in the uk about yesterday's wordle as it used US spelling and people thought as it was a UK site it would use British spelling.
  • LibsLibs Shipmate
    Enjoying it despite the US spelling. My big dilemma is whether to incorporate it into the morning 'brain gym' (what if it takes too long?) or save it till the evening when I might be so dopey I forget to do it.
  • Four goes to solve Byrdle. I wonder though how long they can keep it going? There can't be that many five-letter musical terms.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Libs wrote: »
    Enjoying it despite the US spelling. My big dilemma is whether to incorporate it into the morning 'brain gym' (what if it takes too long?) or save it till the evening when I might be so dopey I forget to do it.

You can come back to it on the app. It doesn’t time you out. 🙂

• Four goes to solve Byrdle. I wonder though how long they can keep it going? There can't be that many five-letter musical terms.

My son can work out how many words in the database by examining the source I have asked him to investigate.

My son can work out how many words in the database by examining the source I have asked him to investigate.

There are 65 words in the Byrdle database so it can keep going for a couple months!
  • This game was part of a very popular Dutch game show Lingo which ran for 25 years. It was so popular that when they were considering ending it the then Prime Minister, Balkenende, made some comment about it in parliament.

I got today's on the fourth guess.
    I got Byrdle in 2 today. :)
  • Got Wordle in 5 today
  • mousethief wrote: »
    Got Wordle in 5 today

Three :grin:
  • mousethief wrote: »
    Got Wordle in 5 today

Three :grin:

(No, "three" wasn't the wordle...)
  • Just tried Byrdle, got it in 2 😀
  • Just tried Byrdle, got it in 2 😀

Took me 5. Then they insulted me.
  • I got letters 1, 2, and 5 on the second guess, but never got any further!
  • There's one called 'sweardle' with four-letter words. I have not failed a wordle but failed sweardle today (word was 'tart').
    On which planet is "tart" a swear word?

I got Wordle in two this morning! :grin:
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    I tried seardle, I think it’s more swear words + mildly naughty slang.
  • By some fluke (or Divine Inspiration), I solved Byrdle with my first attempt today!!!
    I'm just trying Sweardle - definitely harder with only four words. It's not 'tart' though, as it has an 's' in it!
    Ah, Sweardle is a different one each time. This could be fun.
  • TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    edited January 2022
    Piglet wrote: »
    On which planet is "tart" a swear word?

My ex-mother-in-law's house - pastry like you've never eaten before .. 🤮

• jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Just tried Byrdle, got it in 2 😀

Me, too!
  • jedijudy wrote: »
    Just tried Byrdle, got it in 2 😀

Me, too!
    Three for me.
    Anyone tried Absurdle? It's a bit fiddly to explain, so click on 'more information' and it explains it. I love the concept and the contrariness of it.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    I adore Absurdle.
    Just got today's Byrdle in one! :grin:
    Ruth wrote: »
    I adore Absurdle.

It's definitely my favourite of these. Seems the same as Wordle on the surface, but is kind of like an inside-out version, where nothing is chance. The player influences everything, experimenting, using general knowledge of word and letter frequency. Out of curiosity, have you ever got it in fewer than five words? It seems to always take me five, and I'm curious what the minimum is.

• fineline wrote: »
    I adore Absurdle.

It's definitely my favourite of these. Seems the same as Wordle on the surface, but is kind of like an inside-out version, where nothing is chance. The player influences everything, experimenting, using general knowledge of word and letter frequency. Out of curiosity, have you ever got it in fewer than five words? It seems to always take me five, and I'm curious what the minimum is.

I got Wordle today on the second go, but that was a total fluke.
    Yes, with Wordle it's possible, as it's guesswork, and there is a preset word, but I was curious about the minimum number for Absurdle, as it is very different.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    fineline wrote: »
    I adore Absurdle.

Nope, and I think my average is probably seven right now - I've started playing JUMPY as the first word every time because I got tired of running through all the very similar -to-each-other words ending in Y.
    fineline wrote: »
    I adore Absurdle.

Nope, and I think my average is probably seven right now - I've started playing JUMPY as the first word every time because I got tired of running through all the very similar -to-each-other words ending in Y.

I was starting with words like HASTE or SHARE, to get rid of common letters and still often getting a word ending with Y, which took three tries, but it only took a total of five. One five-try game I played never even included a Y - not sure how that happened. Now I'm experimenting with different words, and it's taking more tries - I think also an average of seven. But occasionally it accepts my word when there were other options left that would have worked, and which are accepted if I play the same game again using them.
  • I got 7 on my first go (started on HEAVY, ended on JUDGE. I don't think my strategy was optimal.)
  • Hah. 6. Douse -> Nanny. I suspect you do better to eliminate the double letters first. Might try starting with slant, for example.
    SLANT - CHOIR - FUDGE - BUMPY - PUPPY

Wonder if 4 is possible. Suspect 3 must be impossible - not sure about 4.
  • I just tried it for the first time. Got it in 6, but after step four only two words were possible, and I guessed in the wrong order...
    It was a different word to yours, @Leorning Cniht , even though you posted only twenty minutes ago, so I guess it's not a one word a day thing?
  • 5 this time. angry -> hovel -> smelt -> tulip -> etude
  • anoesis wrote: »
    It was a different word to yours, @Leorning Cniht , even though you posted only twenty minutes ago, so I guess it's not a one word a day thing?

Absurdle adapts to whatever you do. It doesn't have "a word" - it's continually adjusting possibilities to keep as many words as possible in play.

• Ah. And there you have explained in one sentence what I couldn't quite sort out in the in-game explanation. Do you write technical manuals, perchance?? :wink:
  • I'm wondering if some kind of game might be made of people's start/end words with absurdle. I have just gone from 'prick' to 'queen', from 'wench' to 'mummy', from 'drink' to 'hobby'...
  • Did Byrdle in 3 today.
    4/6 on Wordle today - I'd actually put the right answer in at 3, but changed it to something else!

Where's the brick wall emoji when I need it?
  • LibsLibs Shipmate
    Do people who enjoy World also like codeword puzzles? If not, why not, I wonder.