Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited January 2022
    I thought, and I got this from a guinea pig owner rather than a vet so it may be bollocks, that grass snakes were a danger to guinea pigs- but whether that’s a chemical or physical thing I don’t know. And might depend on their relative sizes. Grass snakes mainly eat amphibians but will take small mammals and they are quite large, over a metre full grown. In any case one would presumably not leave them out over night anyway because foxes.

I'd not thought about the size of a Grass Snake relative to a Guinea Pig, so yes, I guess a Snake could easily make a meal of a junior Pig.

As to Foxes, another obvious danger, but in the days when Mum's neighbours had Guinea Pigs (20 years ago) there weren't as many urban Foxes in the town as there are now. I daresay that a Fox or two might have come and investigated the Guinea Pig hutches, which were all near the house, but I never heard of any depredations.

Mr & Mrs Neighbour had several children living in the house, so the Guinea Pigs were well looked after!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    My nephew had a guinea pig and rabbit that were good friends. One day the guinea pig was inside the house and got trapped somewhere. It took quite a lot of effort to free him and he was quite distressed so they put him in the rabbit's cage to be comforted. The rabbit apparently made an extra effort to protect the guinea pig from the nasty people after that.
  • :lol:

I suppose the two animals are similar in some ways, even if not that closely related. AIUI, it's best for the Guinea Pig to have two of them, IYSWIM, as they're social animals - and are active for 20 hours out of the 24!
  • Apparently it's illegal to own a single guinea pig in Switzerland, as they need company. I don't know what the implications are if you own a pair and one dies - are you legally bound to buy another one? And then if one of that pair dies, another one? Once you have your first guinea pig are you locked into permanent guinea pig ownership?

I'm discombobulated by something that happened today. A neighbour has a new man in her life, and that man has a young dog - it looks as though there is collie somewhere in the mix. Today the dog escaped from their garden and chased Violet, another neighbour's cat, across the road and into our garden. We went dashing out and got hold of the dog, although he was very bouncy and nearly knocked me over. It took twenty minutes for the owner to appear and reclaim his dog, and when he did he seemed to find the idea of his dog chasing cats funny.

Violet is young, fast, and can climb trees, so the main danger to her was that the dog chased her across the road. They ran onto the road at such speed that if a car had been coming either Violet and / or the dog would have been done for.

Our Elizabeth is 13 or 14 with arthritis in one back leg and definitely couldn't outrun this dog.

What would a friendly, bouncy collie cross do if it caught a cat? Are they only interested in the thrill of the chase, or would they attack a cat? Elizabeth is almost entirely an indoor cat, but she does go out into our garden.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Never trust any predator whose hunting instinct has been awakened.

Speaking of hunting instincts, Stupid Cat brought a live sparrow in on Friday. Finally managed to corral it into the bathroom where a suitably large window could be opened to let it out. Seemingly unharmed.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
  • Yesterday I had the most fun (?) I've had on a walk recently. I was coming to the end of the walk when I met an errant hunting dog. In France, these are fairly big beasts, dont know the breed. They lope around the forest and sometimes wander off on their own business. Some hunters are responsible and have radio antenna on the dog so they can be tracked, others are left to find their own way home.

This dog was very friendly, and started following me. Then he got even more friendly and started giving my bottom a good old sniff ( getting his nose right in there!!) He was big and heavy and I couldn't stop him. I moved ...he moved round, like his nose was stuck to my bum.

Then he started humping my leg. Very vigorously and enthusiastically. Remember, he's a big boy, and he nearly had me on the floor!! Happily two other walkers arrived and they phoned the owner ( number on the collar) who said he was out hunting and would come and find him in an hour or so. Still the dog followed us, sniffing everyone, but always returning to his first love...and humping my leg again. Finally we persuaded him into a little courtyard in front of an empty house, and shut him in. I hope the owner came for him.
  • I had to take Toffee to the vet on Thursday. Wednesday morning he didn't want to come out for his morning veggies - which is unprecedented. There was obviously something wrong because he seemed very lethargic, but it wasn't until the afternoon I noticed one of his eyes was almost shut and looked terribly sore.

The vet was really good - gave him an injection for pain and sent us home with antibiotics and eye drops. Then the fun began. Ever tried getting a syringe full of antibiotic into a reluctant guinea pig's mouth? He absolutely hated it, was struggling and biting, poor little boy. But it seems to be working and Toffee is back to his normal lively self. The eye still doesn't look quite right but it's massively better than it was. I'm so relieved! This is the first time one of them has been unwell since I had them so I was feeling really panicky.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    @Dormouse that sounds horrible! We had a little Papillon dog who would bring in his basket rug (known as his Willowina Blanketina) and make furious passionate love to it whenever guests arrived. He spared the legs of guests, but it was hard to distract him and get him out because he would be in such a noisy mating frenzy.

Glad to hear Toffee the guinea pig is better, @Nuthatch.
  • Poor Molly is going nuts today. We received a notice that today K9 forensic dogs will be around our mobile homes. This is to inspect for the mobile home park to make new improvement projects, for which they need land-specific information. I am guessing maybe checking for Native American burial sites? At least I hope it is not to look for recent bodies buried in our rear yards. We are instructed to keep our pets inside, and to not interact with the working dogs. So of course, Molly cannot go into her backyard, and now some strange dogs are running up and down HER street, and into Her yard.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    How dare they invade her territory?

• The moderator of our presbytery has a dog in his happy home, and it attended a Zoom meeting with him last night. As was reported to me by another:

The best part of the evening was Bill’s opening prayer. It went like this: "Loving Father, I am going to kill my dog…” The dog started barking just as he started the prayer which lead to this interesting opening and then he just went on with the prayer as if nothing happened.

• 😂😂😂
  • We had a family evening prayer of that sort a couple of months ago. My husband is prone to start praying suddenly without warning, and I walked into the room intending to harass him, so it went like this:
    him: "Dear Father,"
    me: "Have you kissed the dog today?"

He will not stop giving me shit about it.
  • Something tells me God is laughing.
  • We had to bid our beloved Bibi farewell on Monday.
    The multiple health issues from which he suffered over the past 3 years finally won, but his mind and spirit were still strong. While we were waiting in the "death room" at the vet, he still struggled onto the windowsill to look through the window for one final time...
    He slipped away very gently and peacefully, and his ashes are now back with us and alongside those of previous feline family members....but golly, this loss is painful. More so that the losses of our previous cats.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    So sorry to hear that, St. E.

RIP Bibi. :cry:
  • I’m so sorry, @St Everild.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Such sad news @St Everild 🕯
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    sorry to hear that @St Everild
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    @St Everild I'm so sorry. I hope your pain will eventually be replaced by loving and fun memories of Bibi. :heartbreak:
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    So sorry to hear.
  • Sitting with my gorgeous Domino cuddles up against me and so sorry to hear about Babi. There is no love quite like the love of and for a cat.
    Here is a video of lovely Spencer’s TV debut. I raised him from seven weeks to sixteen months old for Guide Dogs. 🐾💕https://tinyurl.com/2p8rw7b6
    Clever Spencer - what a gorgeous dog! :heart:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Boogie, Spencer was wonderful and that man was lit up like a Christmas tree over the difference Spencer had made to his life. I think that's one of the most positive things I've watched in a long time. Thanks so much for posting it.
    Boogie! I love this video! You have made it possible for Spencer to completely change that man's life! I am in awe of you and the dogs and their humans!
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    St Everild - much as you know you did the right thing, it's still terribly hard and sad. Our sympathies to you.

A very sad story from the floods at the north of our State. A woman was being rescued by boat from her flooding house, but there was not enough room for her dog as well. She says that the dog just looked at the boat as it went away, and she'll never forget that look. Prayers that the dog survived and will be there to welcome her back.
  • I'm so sorry!
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    That's so sad @Gee D . I hope the woman and her dog are reunited soon.

@Boogie , that video is heartwarming - I love it! Some of the things the man said - "When Spencer came into my life it was like the lights had literally come back on... I'm living and loving the best life ever and you wouldn't have thought a dog could do that... He's like my best friend..." - were so moving and, as others have said, the way his face lit up when he spoke about Spencer was wonderful. :heart: I too am in awe of everyone - humans and canines.
  • St Everild - look out for ghosts! It's just over a year since Griffon the Cat died, and I still sometimes look round, quite sure I've seen something large, grey and furry from the corner of my eye. It was upsetting at first, but has become comforting to feel, or just imagine, that he may be haunting me.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    On the night of the day I buried my beloved Georgie-Porgy fat'n'fluffy I was lying on my bed half asleep when I thought I heard a cat. I reached a hand down and I felt cat fur. I thought she had somehow come back to me - but it was Spooky, the cat from up the road, hoping she had found a new home. I told her she hadn't and let her out the front door.

Poor Spooky was the beloved companion of the elderly woman who lives at the corner, then the woman developed dementia and her daughter came, with her dog to look after her. Then her son came with his rescued kitten. Spooky no longer held her position of sole beloved pet, although I know she is fed and looked after.
  • We picked out Molly from the pound on St. Patrick's day, thus the name the unsinkable Molly Brown. I decided that would be her birthday although we do not know just how old she is. It sort of gives us an idea of her age as the vet was guessing she was about 2 when we got her. She just destroyed her toy duck, so I bought a new toy for her birthday. Somehow she seems to know what is in the box that was delivered. I put it out of her reach until Thursday. Mr. Image is saying I am being silly and she should have it now. Molly seems to agree with him, but I am holding out until the day. She will also be getting a special can of wet food and a small piece of cheese. Does anyone else celebrate their dog's birthday?
  • No dog here but cat’s birthday definitely celebrated. The late Albertus Magnus’ birthday was celebrated on the feast of St Albert the Great ( 15 Nov) and the current 2 ( Stan the Man & Lily the Pink who are siblings) have their birthday ( approximate) celebrated on 03 Nov ( St Martin de Porres patron saint of veterinarians and internet users)
    edited March 2022
    Sojourner wrote: »
    ...The late Albertus Magnus’ birthday was celebrated on the feast of St Albert the Great ( 15 Nov) ...
    Not the feast of St. Magnus the Martyr, patron saint of Orkney (16th April)? :grin:
  • Oh, how I'm suffering, missing my beloved Jack Russell (mostly) dog companion. I live alone, and have no job (it was done-away-with) since no singing allowed, no choir - no music, etc. Priest-in-charge-lady likes to sing a solo during her sermon. So....after 7 years of adoring Chickie, his med problems got too painful and he had to get relief, permanently.
    It is deadly quiet here; no one to talk to, or any back-talk from Chick. My sons say NOT ANOTHER DOG for Mom- she can barely take care of herself! So please pray for me and let me be comfort for another terrier. Much sympathy and love for those whose wonderful pets are gone away. (TEARS- here they come....)
  • @Pearl B4 Swine, I’m so, so sorry! Praying for you as you grieve.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Sojourner wrote: »
    ...The late Albertus Magnus’ birthday was celebrated on the feast of St Albert the Great ( 15 Nov) ...
    Not the feast of St. Magnus the Martyr, patron saint of Orkney (16th April)? :grin:
    Nope not a C of S cat.

Albertus would have suited him better if he’d been black and white ( the Dominican habit)😂
  • Oh, how I'm suffering, missing my beloved Jack Russell (mostly) dog companion. I live alone, and have no job (it was done-away-with) since no singing allowed, no choir - no music, etc. Priest-in-charge-lady likes to sing a solo during her sermon. So....after 7 years of adoring Chickie, his med problems got too painful and he had to get relief, permanently.
    It is deadly quiet here; no one to talk to, or any back-talk from Chick. My sons say NOT ANOTHER DOG for Mom- she can barely take care of herself! So please pray for me and let me be comfort for another terrier. Much sympathy and love for those whose wonderful pets are gone away. (TEARS- here they come....)

So sorry Pearl and ignore your well-meaning sons

• How hard Pearl, I am sorry, but please do what your heart says about another pet.
    So sorry to hear this Pearl.
    How hard Pearl, I am sorry, but please do what your heart says about another pet.

Agreed

• North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    I am so sorry, Pearl.
  • Kannas an AweylKannas an Aweyl Shipmate Posts: 40
    The only thing I know about guinea pigs, is that they are vulnerable to grass snakes and your outdoor hutch and run arrangements need to be sufficient to protect them.

In many areas buzzards are a far greater risk than land based predators.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    I'm so sorry, Pearl. Do what is best for you, not what your well-meaning sons say.
    (((Pearl))) I hope you can follow your heart. :heart:
    So sorry about your wee dog, Pearlie - as the others have said, you must follow your heart. :heart:
  • You might see if you could foster a dog? Just in case there is an actual constraint on you simply owning one.
  • Other one here who is wondering if OtherPeople, especially folk who only want what is best for us, sometimes don’t understand the importance of a beloved companion / pet about the place .

Praying that some serendipitous way will be found around your current situation.
    Here is a link to fostering for Dog’s Trust - https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/fostering/
  • SnowgooseSnowgoose Shipmate Posts: 23
    I agree with the others, Pearl. You are the one who should decide whether or not to get a new pet.

We said goodbye to our cat Pandora a couple of weeks ago. Her ashes just came back from the vet and I am a bit weepy today, but I know it was the right decision. We couldn't do anything to make her feel better (kidney failure, among other things) so after 17 years it was time to let her rest. I keep thinking I see her out of the corner of my eye. The two kittens are a bit confused that she is not there anymore, but they are young and resilient so will adjust.

We moved here to Buffalo four years ago and brought four cats with us. We have lost a cat a year since then. Three of them were 17 or older (Jenny died young from a blood clot), which is a good long age for a cat, but it still hurts like crazy when one dies.