Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• #teamRossweisse
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Sending prayers, orneries and virtual cats your way, Ross!
  • Still praying...
  • Prayers and good vibes to all here.
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Feeling really fed up today. Had lunch at a local garden centre, where I often go as it's cheap and close. Food has been going down better, but something stuck today and I had to rush to the loo to clean up. That was embarrassing enough, but the manager came out and asked me to make sure I always had someone who would clean up after me (as I had today) as the staff couldn't be expected to do it. All very polite and reasonable, but it left me feeling humiliated and unwelcome. Bugger.
  • (((((( @Robert Armin ))))))

Unfortunately, there are insensitive people in this world, and you encountered one of them.
  • Only 2 more pills to go in this cycle!
    I discovered a biscuit at the little local supermarket which made me happy. (McVitie's Digestive with Dark Chocolate) Then I went to a bigger (our usual) supermarket and found it has a cousin which is even better because it has oats in it! (Hobnobs - what a cute name!).
    I have not bought biscuits for decades hence the excitement.
    It's the little things ...
  • Nettles are up now and I am making tea and also drying them for use throughout the year. I love nettles. I think everyone has a herb they LOVE.
    Also the spring wildflowers are starting! (Anenome - mostly bright pot-box red but also a few white, pinky-lilac ones)
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    @Robert Armin I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Somebody should write to that manager or confront him about being insensitive.

Galilit, another nettle lover here, I make soup at the end of each winter filled with nettle mineral goodness and a lemony zing.
    @Galilit, I'm with you on Hobnobs, and the excitement of finishing tablets, but I'm lost on the nettles. What makes them so good?
  • The fact that we have to ask if the ship has ninjas proves that it does...
    Ongoing care, and a sense of disquiet.

You are all in my thoughts.
    May the peace of God, and the love of community surround all affected.
  • Galilit wrote: »
    Only 2 more pills to go in this cycle!
    I discovered a biscuit at the little local supermarket which made me happy. (McVitie's Digestive with Dark Chocolate) Then I went to a bigger (our usual) supermarket and found it has a cousin which is even better because it has oats in it! (Hobnobs - what a cute name!).
    I have not bought biscuits for decades hence the excitement.
    It's the little things ...

One of the first things I was able to eat after a bad (damn near lethal) chemo reaction was my wife's oatmeal biscuits. For some reason they were easy to process and helped to reboot the system. YMMV, but oatmeal must be a Good Thing.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Oats, which as noted by Dr. Johnson are fed to horses in England but in Scotland sustains the people, is actually the food of the gods.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited February 2020
    Especially when accompanied by CHOCOLATE...
    :wink:
    @Galilit, I'm with you on Hobnobs, and the excitement of finishing tablets, but I'm lost on the nettles. What makes them so good?

Plants which we often dismiss as 'weeds' are sometimes quite nutritious. Dandelion leaves, for instance, are AIUI rich in iron, and go very well in a green salad, even though they have a bitter - or, some would say, piquant - taste.

I daresay nettles also qualify - nettle WINE is certainly a Good Thing, and delighteth the soul! So, too, is dandelion WINE - the essence of summer, as per Ray Bradbury's wonderful book...
    :grin:

• DooneDoone Shipmate
    What an awful experience @Robert Armin ! Prayers for you and @Galilit
  • Prayers for everyone but Robert's restaurant manager.
  • Dandelion leaves, for instance, are AIUI rich in iron, and go very well in a green salad, even though they have a bitter - or, some would say, piquant - taste.

They also have a diuretic effect - which is why they're known as piss-the-beds in Scotland and pissenlit in France (why does the French sound so much more refined???)
  • I have found that ginger beer helps me to counteract the nausea associated with chemo, but I don't know if it helps other people.
  • Warning!

IANAD, but it seems that ginger (presumably in its 'pure' form) can have some nasty side effects, including:

•increased bleeding tendency.
    •abdominal discomfort.
    •cardiac arrhythmias (if overdosed)
    •central nervous system depression (if overdosed)
    •dermatitis (with topical use)
    •diarrhoea.
    •heartburn.
    •mouth or throat irritation.

What may work for one, of course, may not work for another...
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited February 2020
    rhubarb wrote: »
    I have found that ginger beer helps me to counteract the nausea associated with chemo, but I don't know if it helps other people.
    Ginger is sometimes used to prevent morning sickness (in my case it just gave me an aversion to ginger as I associate it with nausea!). Glad it helps you, though.
    IANAD etc.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Dandelion leaves, for instance, are AIUI rich in iron, and go very well in a green salad, even though they have a bitter - or, some would say, piquant - taste.

They also have a diuretic effect - which is why they're known as piss-the-beds in Scotland and pissenlit in France (why does the French sound so much more refined???)

Thanks so much for the warning. I have now decided against turning my so called "lawn*" into a salad, as I am already on diruretics.

*No significant rain for weeks, and no watering.
  • Warning!

IANAD, but it seems that ginger (presumably in its 'pure' form) can have some nasty side effects, including:

•increased bleeding tendency.
    •abdominal discomfort.
    •cardiac arrhythmias (if overdosed)
    •central nervous system depression (if overdosed)
    •dermatitis (with topical use)
    •diarrhoea.
    •heartburn.
    •mouth or throat irritation.

What may work for one, of course, may not work for another...

I don't know where your source for your advice is found, but the advice that I have received supports the use of ginger in whatever form is found to be of assistance. I have certainly been helped by sipping ginger beer without any observable side effects.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited February 2020
    I Googled 'ginger beer side effects'. Note that I used the words 'seems', and 'presumably'.

I'm glad you've found ginger beer helpful - my point was simply that others might follow your example, without being aware of potential danger. The same applies to any substance used 'medically', as it were, especially if one is already on (sometimes) powerful drugs...

Sorry if I'm not putting this very clearly.
  • Best if everybody here gets their medical advice from their doctors. I know my OBGYN took me off ginger for just the reasons mentioned above (which really sucked in early pregnancy).
  • My point exactly.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Admin Emeritus
    Yeah, let's not do the medical advice thing, anecdotally or otherwise. Your appointed physician gets to carry the can for any screw-ups on the medication front, not us.

DT
    HH
  • It was my cancer centre that recommended sipping ginger beer for nausea due to chemo -it was certainly not Dr Google.
  • My mum has the first of her weekly infusions of chemotherapy today. Who knows what effect this will have.

My sister has gone with her, which is also unpredictable in its effect.

Prayers would be very welcome.
  • And shall be offered forthwith.
    <votive> for ThunderBunk's mum and sister.
    rhubarb wrote: »
    It was my cancer centre that recommended sipping ginger beer for nausea due to chemo - it was certainly not Dr Google.

Understood, but you have missed my point. As per Hostly post, I say no more.

Prayers for ThunderMother.
  • Prayers for ThunderMother.

The Thundermother is quiet, which is not a good thing. The strange things cancer gets one saying......
  • Prayers for ThunderMother.

The Thundermother is quiet, which is not a good thing. The strange things cancer gets one saying......

She has now uttered, but is not in a good way.
  • Hopefully she's safely ensconced in the Right Place whilst the effects wear off.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Prayers for your mother ThunderBunk, and for your family as they support her.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Ongoing prayers for ThunderMother, and for you, ThunderBunk.

For all who post here.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Prayers for all the Thunders.
    @Robert Armin id be very tempted to write to the head office of the garden centre about what happened. Hope you can find more understanding places for coffee
  • Yes - 'name and shame'.

Doubtless there are places more understanding of those of us who may not be 100% fit, as one can hardly go around with a big notice on one's head saying 'I'm ill - I might chunder at any moment'... :grimace:
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    <votive> @Robert Armin
    <votive> For ThunderMother et al
    <votive> For @idj
    <votive> For all coping with this monstrous disease

I'm having a tough time; it seems that someone has pizened the orneries. I'm weak, although I'm doing much better than I was just a few days ago. I'm making it out of bed more often and for longer periods than was the case when I first got sprung from hospital.

I now have 24-7 care; I'm still doing things (friends over for wine and dinner again tonight!), but I'm weak, and have to take a lot of naps. (Not that the Feline Ministry to the Sick objects to that!)

I feel as though I'm being urged into hospice care too soon. I realize that it's for my own good, and I fully intend to do it when the time is right, but I really think that it's far too early. And I definitely intend to die in my own home, with my cats at hand and my music playing, and not at one of the hospice houses that's being pushed on me, as nice as I'm sure they are.

We still don't know if the problem with my lungs is due to pneumonia (curable), heart (not so curable), or the cancer moving into same (forget it). Your prayers for the right diagnosis and the right decisions would be greatly appreciated.

• Prayers ascending, Rossweisse!
  • Prayers for @Rossweisse
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Prayers ascending, Ross.
  • So sorry you're feeling so low, Ross. Prayers.
  • Prayers for @Rossweisse and @ThunderBunk 's Mum and all who are suffering from this awful disease.
  • Prayers continuing for all.
  • Pneumonia is a right bastard and recovery from it also
    Prayers ascending.
    (God and Our Mother like us to pray as usual just before Lent - not like some people who are so busy organising their Perfect Lent that they neglect their Daily Whatever)
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Prayers for @Rossweisse , glad you can still have friends round for dinner and win.
    Prayers and hugs for @Rossweisse. I wish I could pop round and do something!
  • I was relieved to get up and see a post from Rossweisse as I've been worried, but sad to read how weak she is.

(((Rossweisse)))
  • Same here.

{{Rossweisse}}
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    @Rossweisse 🕯🙏