Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    I've long suspected cheesecake was a universal cure.

So happy for Robert and Rossweisse's good news!
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Excellent, Robert and Ross!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I'm so glad to read good news, @Rossweisse and @Robert Armin !!!
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    This has been a good day. I've been eating up the leftovers of all the food I couldn't cope with yesterday, in a way which would have made my mother proud! (She lived through the War and could not abide to see food thrown away.)
  • DiomedesDiomedes Shipmate
    That made me laugh out loud - my mother was like that too. I'm really pleased today was a better day for you.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Well done, RA!

Hmmm ... cheesecake for breakfast ... :smile:
  • PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    Sometimes it’s about adding life to years as well as years to life...
    Or to paraphrase - mmmmm cheesecake.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Delighted to hear that @Rossweisse !

And I'm feeling brighter today. I've even managed to eat yesterday's cheesecake for breakfast.
    Excellent, @Robert Armin! That was a real day-brightener.

No surrender, for either one of us!

Excelsior!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    To the barricades!
    Doone wrote: »
    To the barricades!
    ...running over all obstacles in my motorized wheelchair!

• The Ship's engineers are currently investigating designs for wheelchairs with caterpillar tracks for this very purpose. You won't mind a large diesel engine just behind your shoulders, will you?
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    You could at attach swords to the wheels like Boudicca the Iceni Queen did to her chariot when fighting the Romans (or so I'm led to believe - ancient history not being one of my better subjects), I' sure the Ship's engineers would know how it's done.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    As long as they don't mow down either the Orneries or the FMS ... :flushed:
  • @Stercus Tauri I’m sure the diesel engine needs be closer to the ground for a really efficient all-terrain wheelchair. I hope you are emblazoning it with orneries.
    For power it could be nuclear. Or, to ecological, it could run from the cats on a treadmill.
  • I somehow doubt if the Felines would be happy with that. Their Ministry To The Sick is, I fancy, of a somewhat more sedentary - or even somnolent - kind...
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I would be very interested in the method used to make cats do *anything*.

• RooKRooK Shipmate
    edited April 2020
    Speaking engineering, said track-driven chair would use electric motors - naturally - with a modest battery pack to buffer the RTG (supplied by Alan).
  • The RTG approach is an elegant solution, but alone, it lacks the element of fear that a roaring diesel engenders in the opposition. Perhaps a similar effect might be achieved with a bagpipe synthesiser powered by the RTG? As the launch customer, I think we should let Rossweisse choose before the drawings are finalised.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited April 2020
    Who was it who said that the best way of hearing bagpipes was whilst the sound was fading into the distance?

But yes - let Rossweisse have a free hand in the design...the Roaring Diesel engine is OK as far as it goes, as long as Rossweisse is supplied with effective ear-muffs.

Sadly, PPE is in short supply, globally, at the moment.

(See what I did there?)
    :wink:
    For now, at least, I am content to make do with the electric motor supplied with the chair. My hearing is far too acute for my own good (whilst encased in an MRI machine, at least; I require both earplugs and sound-blocking headphones inside those claustrophobic quarters) or to tolerate a roaring diesel engine or facsimile thereof.

A bagpipe soundtrack - with the speakers mounted in the lower rear quarter and faintly audible to me as I remove myself from the vicinity - would be an acceptable substitute. It still ought to give notice to the FMS and the orneries to MOVE out of the way.

• PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    You know I have always kind imagined you carried aloft on the chair by a flock of trained orneries.
    Engines seem just a little too passe for you, even jet engines.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    A bagpipe soundtrack - with the speakers mounted in the lower rear quarter and faintly audible to me as I remove myself from the vicinity - would be an acceptable substitute. It still ought to give notice to the FMS and the orneries to MOVE out of the way.
    I always rather imagined the orneries sounding a bit like bagpipes, at least where they’re in attack mode.

• The RTG approach is an elegant solution, but alone, it lacks the element of fear that a roaring diesel engenders in the opposition.

We could combine the best of both worlds and go diesel-electric. The museum where I volunteer has two Deltic engines in store. That would be a *wheelchair*... :smiley:
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    I always rather imagined the orneries sounding a bit like bagpipes, at least where they’re in attack mode.

No, that's a Hamish!

If you have 14min 33 secs spare and what to use it to look at something beautiful - here is your opportunity.
  • Bagpipes were invented by Satan to torture the ears of humans.

*runs from the room, in case anyone reading this is a bagpipe player
  • I love bagpipes. But I am reminded of this New Yorker cartoon.

Patdys wrote: »
    You know I have always kind imagined you carried aloft on the chair by a flock of trained orneries.
    Engines seem just a little too passe for you, even jet engines.

Nothing less than a flying horse is good enough for the Ship's Valkyrie!
  • LatchKeyKidLatchKeyKid Purgatory Host
    A choir friend died from cancer on the Saturday before Easter. I held her hand and sang You've Got A Friend to her as she passed away.
    Hard for you @LatchKeyKid, but what a wonderful thing to do. God bless you both.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Yes, bless you both @LatchKeyKid 🕯
  • You come under my definition of an angel, Latchkeykid.
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    I'm sorry for your loss, @LatchKeyKid. What a lovely thing to do for your friend.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Admin Emeritus
    edited April 2020
    Tbf, it depends on quality of @LatchKeyKid 's voice...

(In case it wasn't obvious, yes of course it was a lovely thing to do!)
    Bravo, @LatchKeyKid. That was a kindness.
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    I'm s'pozed to go to the Hospital on Thursday for an additional treatment (Zomera for the cognoscenti)) and thinking it's unnecessary - I'm down to alternate monthly treatments after nearly 2 years and it's ruining my teeth as well as B*ggering me for 2 days afterwards) ... and the last thing I need is corona/covid19 or anything else.
    Seems a waste of a nice spring day that could be spent in the open countryside ... contemplating nature for hours on end
    Prayers for you @Galilit. The treatment would be a pain anyway, without the extra complications around at the moment.
  • {{{{{{ @Galilit }}}}}}

@LatchKeyKid , your loving kindness is beautiful.
  • PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    What a wonderful gift of care- and personally and emotionally costly
    Best wishes to all (Galilit)
    ((((( @Galilit )))))

I was supposed to go to the Germ Farm the other day for a consultation with the radiation oncologist concerning my brain freckle. I had the bright idea of calling to see if we could do it via videoconferencing or plain old telephone; they said yes to the latter, but that they'd have to charge me/my insurance for a regular office visit. (I ended up hearing that routine a total of three times.) I stayed home, and had the added bonuses of not needing to have my aide load the wheelchair into the car or search for a parking space.

Galilit, you do what seems best to you!

• PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    Thinking of you all.
  • AuthorDivaAuthorDiva Shipmate
    Still praying for everyone here.
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    Me, too, every day.
  • cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    @Rossweisse How is the leg pain? Have you been able to procure any medication stronge enough to subdue it?
    Thank you for asking, @cgichard. It's a bit better, but it still strikes without warning. My oncologist, whom I saw today, is prescribing something stronger.

(My Junior Child took me to today's appointment. My oncologist made a point of telling her how, when I was still in hospital in mid-February, he told me that I was unlikely to live into late April, and told me, "It's possible we could have a conversation on May 1, but I'd be surprised." I called him Friday morning, reminded him of that comment, and said, "Happy May Day!" He laughed long and heartily then, and again as he related the tale. I think he liked that I insisted on continuing treatment, that I lived long enough to call him on the day, and that I followed up with it - and he wanted her to know it. Bless him.)

• cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    Stronger medication is good news, and I hope it works without any untoward side-effects. How good it must feel to surprise your oncologist!
    May that teach him to make unwarranted assumptions.

I'm sure I can speak for all on the Ship in joining him in wishing you not only Happy May, but Happy June and all the rest of 2020 and for as long as you choose to grace us with your presence.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    Seconded.
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    Thirded
  • ...and fourthed.

My mother is now emerging into a world after chemotherapy. She faces another operation to remove things that need removing (I haven't quite got to the bottom yet of what needs removing, since nothing cancerous has been found by scans but there we are). This should be in about five weeks.

For the moment, I think she is looking forward to recovering an appetite for something other than porridge and mashed carrot, and to not being poisoned weekly.