Fucking Guns

Comments

• Conservative radio show canceled after host wishes for 'nice school shooting' as impeachment distraction
    Chuck Bonniwell, a conservative radio host, made the remarks during 710 KNUS's "Chuck & Julie" afternoon program. After noting the "never-ending impeachment" of Trump, Bonniwell joked that "you wish for a nice school shooting to interrupt."

To think such a thing, let alone express it. But I guess this is normal-ish for "conservative" people.
  • Thirteen shot in Chicago.
    This article makes me want to give up on life. The shooting was at a memorial party for a 22 year-old man who died from gunfire while using a gun to commit a crime. The mayor calls the shooting "an act of cowardice," which I'm sure it was, but it seems like the act of murder was the worst part. From the by-line it looks like the newspaper's entire staff worked on the article, but it's still a terribly confusing piece of writing, and, final sadness, at first sight of the photo I thought the red police tape was Christmas decorations.
  • Twilight wrote: »
    Thirteen shot in Chicago.
    This article makes me want to give up on life. The shooting was at a memorial party for a 22 year-old man who died from gunfire while using a gun to commit a crime. The mayor calls the shooting "an act of cowardice," which I'm sure it was, but it seems like the act of murder was the worst part. From the by-line it looks like the newspaper's entire staff worked on the article, but it's still a terribly confusing piece of writing, and, final sadness, at first sight of the photo I thought the red police tape was Christmas decorations.

They'll shoot you when you're walking on the street
    They'll shoot you when your walking to the door
    But I would not feel so all alone
    They'll shoot you when your walking on the floor
    Everybody must get shot
    They'll shoot you when you are young and able

With bang bang you're dead apologies to Bob Dylan
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 12/22/19

Statistics for 12/21/2019
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 1, in Mississippi. 1 dead, 6 injured.
    Total deaths: 36
    Total injuries: 72
    Children under 12 killed: One Texas 7-y.o. boy shoots self in head after finding parents’ gun in their bedroom. Both parents licensed gun owners.
    Info courtesy of Gun Violence Archive.org.
    Any errors mine.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Conservative radio show canceled after host wishes for 'nice school shooting' as impeachment distraction
    Chuck Bonniwell, a conservative radio host, made the remarks during 710 KNUS's "Chuck & Julie" afternoon program. After noting the "never-ending impeachment" of Trump, Bonniwell joked that "you wish for a nice school shooting to interrupt."

To think such a thing, let alone express it. But I guess this is normal-ish for "conservative" people.

I wish these people would stop calling themselves "conservatives." They're not conserving anything. They just stir shit.
  • Conservative radio show canceled after host wishes for 'nice school shooting' as impeachment distraction

I have a sense of humor which tends towards the transgressive and the tasteless, as well as the absurd. Fortunately, I am not a broadcaster.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    NP--
    Conservative radio show canceled after host wishes for 'nice school shooting' as impeachment distraction
    (snip)

There's conservative, then conservative, then fringe, then obsessed and/or dangerously delusional. I suspect this is more about being a "shock-jock" talk radio host. Most people wouldn't say such a thing.
    Just in case anyone doesn't know: that link is from The Onion, a satire site.
  • I don't care who it it. He should be shot.

Umm...

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 12/23/19

Statistics for 12/22/2019
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): Three: 7 injured in Maryland; 1 dead, 7 injured in Minnesota; 13 injured in Chicago.
    Total deaths: 32
    Total injuries: 100
    Children under 12 killed: 0
    Any errors mine.

• MarkDMarkD Shipmate
    edited December 2019
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Just in case anyone doesn't know: that link is from The Onion, a satire site.

Like this one? Interesting to consider a world in which man stands his ground in the garden. ;)
    MarkD--

Yes...which NP posted and to which I referred. ;)

In the later Star Trek series, it's told that the Klingon equivalent of Adam and Eve killed their Creator. A "we don't need no stinkin' Creator!" sort of thing.
  • MarkDMarkD Shipmate
    Golden Key wrote: »
    MarkD--

Yes...which NP posted and to which I referred. ;)

In the later Star Trek series, it's told that the Klingon equivalent of Adam and Eve killed their Creator. A "we don't need no stinkin' Creator!" sort of thing.

Oh really? Sorry. I couldn't get the link to open but I assumed it was about the radio shock jock who was hoping for a shooting event to distract from something involving Trump.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Merry Christmas to those celebrating
    Blessed post-solstice to those celebrating.
    Happy mid-Hanukkah to those celebrating.

US SHOOTINGS REPORT 12/24/19

Statistics for 12/23/2019
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 0
    Total deaths: 33
    Total injuries: 74
    Any errors mine.

• DooneDoone Shipmate
    Merry Christmas @Ohher and thank you!
  • cheers Ohher. I am working overnight this year, but managed lunch with the fam.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 12/25/19

Statistics for 12/24/2019
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 2: 6 people injured in North Carolina; 4 people injured in Louisiana
    Total deaths: 31
    Total injuries: 73
    Any errors mine.

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 12/26/19

Statistics for 12/25/2019
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 2: 1 dead, 3 injured in Virginia; 4 injured in California
    Total deaths: 30
    Total injuries: 59
    Any errors mine.

• We wish you a merry Christmas...
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 12/27/19

Statistics for 12/26/2019
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 1: 5 injured in Florida
    Total deaths: 14
    Total injuries: 59
    Any errors mine.

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 12/28/19

Statistics for 12/27/2019
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 2. 4 people injured in Georgia. 2 killed, 7 injured in Texas.
    Total deaths: 27
    Total injuries: 66
    Any errors mine.

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 12/29/19

Statistics for 12/28/2019
    Total deaths: 25
    Total injuries: 50
    Any errors mine.

• After today's killings at church in Texas, I read someone quoted in the Washington Post,
    “Places of worship are meant to be sacred, and I am grateful for the church members who acted quickly to take down the shooter and help prevent further loss of life.”
    I am lost for words. "Take down" in this case, as it usually does, meant "kill".
    I get what you're saying, ST. I don't like people having guns in church, and I don't know the details. I'd much prefer that no one be killed. But honest question: what else should they have done?
  • After today's killings at church in Texas, I read someone quoted in the Washington Post,
    “Places of worship are meant to be sacred, and I am grateful for the church members who acted quickly to take down the shooter and help prevent further loss of life.”
    I am lost for words. "Take down" in this case, as it usually does, meant "kill".

The beginning-stage church was watered with the blood of martyrs. The end-stage church will go down shooting. But if that's how it chooses to go down, it will go down.
  • There is a God who likes guns and the stories of loss, pain, revenge, redemption. A God of a hostile and difficult world full off predators. A violence loving, executing god of war, sacrifice and atonement. We kill the other god everyday. And then we pray empty words that make no tangible difference.
  • I am absolutely stunned that people actually go to church with guns in their pockets. Are they expecting that they will need to shoot people there?
  • yes they are.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Based on reading /hearing far too many survivors' comments in far too many news stories about these events, I disagree. I don't think it's true that the gun-carriers really do carry their weapons around "expecting" to shoot others.

The reaction I see most often after shooting incidents is shock and disbelief--some version of "I never thought such a thing would ever happen here."

I think the vast majority of the US population is in denial about the extent of the gun violence problem. (This denial is supported by restrictions enacted by Congress on collecting / publishing / releasing data about the problem.)

Those not in active denial--the semi-woke--get as far as "I better carry a gun to defend myself" in their so-called thought process, without necessarily acknowledging to themselves the next logical step in the progression: "And to defend myself, I might have to shoot someone." (This may not apply to those who have served in the military in armed combat, or to those in paramilitary organizations like the police, who presumably have grasped and embraced this unpleasant reality).

I think, for a substantial portion of the non-military gun-carrying public, that gun represents something different. It's not about shooting people at all. It's about the creeping sense that their "rights" (however understood or misunderstood) are under threat. Religious wing-nuts see their right-of-conscience under threat when teh gayz can get married and the wimminfolk can go on the pill or terminate a pregnancy. Racist wing-nuts see their assumed superiority under threat when a man of color can get elected President. They see their speech freedoms (widely misunderstood, BTW) under threat when they get shouted down for uttering ate speech. Many citizens (correctly) feel their voting rights are under threat when, instead of decreasing the barriers to voting, at least one political party is actively making it harder for citizens to cast ballots.

Meanwhile, both Congress and the NRA have been making it easier and easier (provided you've got the scratch) to purchase and carry firearms around with you, in case you need to arm yourself against a gummint which don't listen to you no-how, throwin' yer hard-earned tax dollars away teachin' yer sons and daughters how to roll condoms on bananas and that our grandaddies was all apes, and which keeps sending these hankie-squishin' bleedin' heart wimmin and these know-nothing gummint-teat-sucking blacks and furriners and who-knows-what-all, dammit, to Congress where they don't do nuthin' but yack around all day on my dime while my only hospital within a 300-mile radius closes and my gas and taxes keep goin' up and I can't see my way clear to next month's mortgage payment.

For many of the gun-carriers, this is about rights. It's about clinging with ferocious determination to a right that's easily understood and to the exercise of which the threshold is fairly low.
  • I think a lot of the men who carry guns to church are, at least subconsciously, hoping to be the "good guy with a gun" who stops just the sort of thing that happened in Texas.

Now gun lovers will feel even more convinced that we need more "good" people carrying guns to solve the gun problem. After all, because some good guys were armed, lives were probably saved, right? The trouble is that viewpoint overlooks the fact that two lives were lost because guns are so easy to get in the U. S.
    I think a lot of the men who carry guns to church are, at least subconsciously, hoping to be the "good guy with a gun" who stops just the sort of thing that happened in Texas.

Now gun lovers will feel even more convinced that we need more "good" people carrying guns to solve the gun problem. After all, because some good guys were armed, lives were probably saved, right? The trouble is that viewpoint overlooks the fact that two lives were lost because guns are so easy to get in the U. S.

Yes. I forget the numbers but for every life "saved" with a readily-available gun, a great number of people commit suicide who probably wouldn't have, absent readily-available guns.
  • Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
    mousethief wrote: »
    Twilight wrote: »
    I think a lot of the men who carry guns to church are, at least subconsciously, hoping to be the "good guy with a gun" who stops just the sort of thing that happened in Texas.

Yes. I forget the numbers but for every life "saved" with a readily-available gun, a great number of people commit suicide who probably wouldn't have, absent readily-available guns.
    Plus, children who get hold of their dad's gun* which hasn't been securely stored and manage to shoot themselves or someone else. Or, the gun owner who hears someone moving about the house at night and shoots a family member using the toilet or coming home late. People pulled over by the police for a minor infraction, and the police are armed and expecting people to be armed and mistake an innocent movement to get out ID as reaching for a gun. There are just too many ways for the scales to massively outweigh the rare possible example of "a good guy with a gun" reducing potential death toll.

* for some reason, it seems it's almost always a man who owns such a gun; mothers don't seem as predisposed to leave guns lying around.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 12/30/19

Statistics for 12/29/2019
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): Three: 5 injured in Illinois; 1 dead, 3 injured in New York; 5 injured in California.
    Total deaths: 46
    Total injuries: 76
    Any errors mine.

• TonyKTonyK Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Yikes, Tony K! I think the prayer requests mixed in with the comments are what disturb me most. Nothing wrong with the prayers that I saw, just the juxtaposition.

I wondered about the links there on how to hide your gun going into church. (Didn't look.) Hollowed-out Bible would be a fairly simple solution. I wasn't sure about looking up something like that, 'cause tracking. So I just plugged in "hollowed-out Bible", and the search engine added "for a gun" as one of the options. I chose it. And it's evidently a thing. One vendor's site at least acknowledges that their product is "Not intended as everyday storage in homes with children". Duhhh...but at least they acknowledge that much.

Even Amazon sells such things.

I know about storing things in hollowed-out or fake books, but don't think I've heard of using a Bible. *Hiding* a Bible, yes. But, evidently, it's a thing in the movies, too.

And I got all this from just the first page of hits. :(

Indeed so. The White Settlement situation probably represents the Platonic Ideal of the "Good Guy with a Gun" narrative and still resulted in the death of two congregation members and the critical wounding of a third (plus the death of the gunman). That this is considered a success says that Americans have come to accept mass shootings as some kind of unstoppable natural force, like a tornado or earthquake, rather than something that's a product of human action.
  • jay_emmjay_emm Kerygmania Host
    I know at least one of the shot people was another armed security guard. Was it a 2 shot, shotgun?
  • jay_emmjay_emm Kerygmania Host
    OFFS Not only is Fort Worth Shooting not specific enough, neither is Fort Worth Church Shooting.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    * for some reason, it seems it's almost always a man who owns such a gun; mothers don't seem as predisposed to leave guns lying around.

More commonly it's fathers' guns, but some mothers carry guns in their purses, and their kids find them there. Punch the words "mother," "purse," and "gun" into the search engine of your choice, and you will quickly find things like this:

5-year-old shoots himself with mother's gun.

4-year-old shoots himself with mother's gun.

2-year-old shoots himself with mother's gun.

2-year-old kills himself with mother's gun.

2-year-old kills his mother with her gun.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    You know, these tot-gun-mother incidents just baffle me. When I was mothering a little kid, my purse was basically a species of landfill.

Besides the checkbook, credit-cards, ID, cash and a comb, the thing was crammed with old receipts, bills I needed to pay, notices from school about bake sales, a couple of individually-wrapped snacks for those days when kid or mom had to go straight from work or school to a practice, meeting, or rehearsal, batteries for something, a swatch of fabric that had to be matched, several half-used packets of Kleenex, a small bottle of aspirin, overdue notices from the library, a couple of heavily-linted breath mints, a small tube of handcream (ALWAYS empty but mysteriously never discarded), sunscreen just-in-case, and several pens in need of resurrection and a small toy or game to amuse HerTwo in an unexpected delay.

Maybe the average mom-purse is in far better state than mine ever was, I dunno. But carrying a gun in a purse for alleged self-protection . . . ? It would have taken me 20 minutes to dredge my weapon (if I had one) out of this chaos.

What are these women thinking ? Do they plan on handing the purse over to the mugger and demanding that he hold it open while they rummage for the gun to scare him off?

As for leaving an enticing object like a purse within reach of a tot--especially with a loaded weapon inside--I. Have. No. Words.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 12/31/19

Statistics for 12/30/2019
    Total injuries: 69
    Any errors mine.

• RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Kyrie eleison.
  • Reading those "shot with mother's gun" stories, over and over it's "tragic accident," "no charges filed." I think charges should always be filed when a child gets hold of the gun owner's gun and shoots himself or another.

There should be some sort of law that covers failure to keep control of the deadly weapon you choose to own. If a child gets it, then obviously you messed up and didn't take proper safety measures. In several of these cases she had a loaded weapon in her purse. How stupid is that?

When your gun falls into the hands of children or your Pit bull gets loose and kills someone you should spend time in jail, then maybe you'll think twice about buying those dangerous things to protect your own precious self.
  • The ammosexuals' standard response is that a) of course you carry it loaded, because bad guys won't give you time to load, and b) parents responsible for the death of their child have already suffered enough. And so the carnage continues.

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 1/1/20

Statistics for 12/31/2019
    Total injuries: 88
    Any errors mine.

• The ammosexuals' standard response is that a) of course you carry it loaded, because bad guys won't give you time to load, and b) parents responsible for the death of their child have already suffered enough. And so the carnage continues.

a) is at least rational. Most people here recognize that, on average, carrying a gun is less safe than not carrying a gun ("my toddler shot me" type incidents outweigh "I saved myself with my gun" incidents). But there's no point at all in carrying the thing around unloaded. If you think you're not safer with a gun, leave the bloody thing locked up at home (or locked in a gun case if you're going shooting). If you think you are safer with a gun, then of course it's loaded, because an unloaded gun doesn't actually do anything.

Carrying a loaded gun is rational logic with a defective premise. Carrying an unloaded gun is just bad logic.

With respect to (b), of course parents whose kids accidentally shoot each other suffer. That's not the point - accident investigations, safety recalls, and all the rest of it are not done to make people suffer - they're done to try to prevent future suffering. Having an investigation call out the fact that the parents left their toddler unsupervised near an unfenced swimming pool isn't done to make them feel worse about their dead kid - it's done to make other people with swimming pools think about installing a fence.

But of course guns are magically different from any other thing that people buy.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Pointing a unloaded gun at someone might deter him/her from action (provided, of course, that they don're unaware the gun is unloaded).
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 1/2/20

Statistics for 1/1/2020
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): Three: 4 injured in Ohio; 7 inured in West Virginia; 3 dead and 1 injured in Missouri.
    Total deaths: 49
    Total injuries: 129
    Children under 12 killed: One: father and 9-y.o. daughter killed in hunting accident in South Carolina.
    Any errors mine.

My God, those are staggering totals, even for a holiday.