Birthdays and other anniversaries and significant dates

Your birthday or someone else’s

Comments

• I guess I will be one of the first birthdays on the new boards. March 1.
  • Sharkshooter it is already 1/3 here, so I wish you a happy birthday. Have a great day.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Happy, happy, sharkshooter!
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Happy St David’s Day to all Welsh Shipmates!
  • Gill H wrote: »
    Happy St David’s Day to all Welsh Shipmates!
    Diolch yn fawr = Thank you very much!
  • Dydd gwyl Dewi Hapus to all aboard!

Welsh cakes for tea!
  • Mine is 6th March...hope the snow had gone away by then, because I'm fed up with it.
  • Mr SmiffMr Smiff Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Happy birthday sharkshooter and happy St David’s Day to all Welsh shippies!

My birthday’s only 2 days away - 3 March (yay!). Not quite a Very Significant birthday, but only one year to go...

• LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited March 2018
    Happy birthday for then, Mr Smiff
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Happy birthday Sharkshooter and Mr. Smiff, and happy St David's Day to allour Welsh chums! :smile:
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Are any of the old dates carried over?
  • Balaam, at the time of looking at threads etc I was the only AS host onboard. WW is still having treatment for his eyes, and Piglet was in Orkney for her Dad’s funersal. She also was ill. I did not have the time to go through the thread for individual dates and special occasions. As they come up through the year, eg St David’s Day, they can be added. Sorry, there was plenty to occupy me then and other Hosts and Admins were similarly all very busy with their own boards.
    That's a good point - did we actually have a list after the thread was revamped a year or two ago, or do we just add dates as they occur to us?
  • There was a list. It was a ramshackle collection of extremely useless bits of info, many repeated, many wrong. The new thread was a much simplifed list open to additions from anyone. Shipmates are welcome to contribut. Birthdays welcome, but other dates too.
  • March 8. International Womens Day.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yay, I came on the Ship now to post that Loth, although I celebrate more on 19th os September which is the anniversary of NZ women winning the vote.

Huia
    I think it's worth noting that today is the birthday of our esteemed friend Welease Woderwick - many happy returns to him!

WW, you're missed here more than you know. :cry:
  • Just a reminder that it would be wise to stay away from the Senate today. :wink:

And a happy Birthday to WW. You are indeed missed. :cry:

• St Patricks Day here today.
    Indeed - wishing everyone, especially the Irish Shippies, a jolly day, and hoping your heads don't hurt too much in the morning!
    I remembered this morning that it was on St. Patrick's Day 1991 when I was confirmed in Belfast Cathedral by Bishop Sammy Poyntz* (of blessèd memory).

* He was known affectionately by the lay clerks as "Bishop Bud", because in his red rochet and chimere he looked a bit like a can of Budweiser ... :mrgreen:
  • Ireland celebrates St Patrick’s Day by beating England by a substantial margin at Rugby.
    Well done them (and Scotland, who snuck past the Italians at the last minute)! :smiley:
  • Today in the anniversary of the martyrdom of Thomas Cranmer. A reluctant martyr but one who in the end died for the principle reform, the victim of a vengeful queen.
    May he rest in peace and rise in glory!
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    God bless Archbishop Cranmer and the other Oxford Martyrs! And may his collects never cease to be prayed.

• Bring back the 1549 Masse!
    :wink:

IJ
    Yea and amen!

If we're not careful, this thread'll get shunted off to Eccles ... :mrgreen:
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    My birthday is tomorrow, March 26!
    Many happy returns, Nicole! :smiley:
  • Happy birthday Nicole. It is now tomorrow down here. Have a good day.
    Happy birthday (now slightly belated), Nicole!
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Thank you all!
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    Other significant date--at least for my wife and I--our 40th Anniversary on 1 April 2018. We will be celebrating with three of our children and their families in Birch Bay WA . #4 cannot make it. Something about having to preach on Easter.
    Congratulations, Gramps and Mrs. Gramps! :smiley:
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Our 36th wedding anniversary today - celebrated with champagne after my wife's Welsh class.
  • Happy anniversary to you both.
    Happy anniversaries!
    Congratulations, BT and Mrs. BT!
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    Thanks for congrats. BT and Mrs BT happy anniversary to you too.

• Happy birthday to my wife on a fairly significant birthday.
  • Happy birthday to her from a lovely day down here.
    Happy birthday, Mrs. SS! :)
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    Today is the eleventh anniversary of the Virginia Tech shooting. On the day of the shooting, grieving students collected stones from a nearby building site, one for each victim. When a permanent memorial was planned, it was decided to use this original design. Here is the Virginia Tech memorial It is right in the middle of the campus where most students pass by it every day.

Right after the shooting, the poet Nikki Giovanni wrote a poem which ended with the lines, "We will prevail, we will prevail." Almost immediately these words appeared on signs all over--university buildings, businesses, private homes. I had never before appreciated the value of slogans, but this was tremendously helpful.

I don't think anyone who was here that day will ever forget it.
  • LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited April 2018
    Goodness, so long and more along similar lines. A good slogan, Moo.
    Wishing all the English Shippies a happy St. George's Day. :smile:
  • Anzac Day 2018. Australia New Zealand Army Corps. Lest we forget.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Celebrating 37 years happily married to the wonderful @LRP. (For the cynics, it is also 37 years married.)
    Congratulations, Balaam and LRP! :smiley:
    Mazel tov, Balaam and LRP!