Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Birthdays and other anniversaries and significant dates

Comments

• RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Thank you, @jedijudy! She was a great lady, but wise and with a grand sense of humor.
  • TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    edited April 2020
    Today Queen Elizabeth the Second celebrates her 94th birthday. Some nice home cine-film clips can be seen here.

Happy Birthday Ma'am!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Happy birthday, Your Maj!
    Happy birthday, Your Majesty!
  • Prince Louis of Cambridge is 2 today. Lovely pictures (taken by his mother) on the KP website here
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    Georgeous! No idea how she managed three consecutive photos showing Louis with painty hands and a clean shirt!
  • Happy birthday, Mr. Shakespeare! You have brought me many, many hours of pleasure.

And also, a Happy St. George's Day to English Shipmates!

(Prince Louis picked an awesome day to be born.)
  • Georgeous! No idea how she managed three consecutive photos showing Louis with painty hands and a clean shirt!

I wonder if she painted his hands (the colors are too perfect for a two-year-old), let them dry, and then put a clean shirt on him. Maybe he was wearing a smock while his hands were painted (or she did it very carefully). At any rate, he's adorable.
  • If you call the fire brigade in a small town just up the Hudson river from New York City and tell them you have a birthday, they will collect a few requests together and send out every vehicle they own in an unbelievably noisy parade. We have a very happy 3-year old in our family! I have no idea how our daughter will deal with it next year if/when this is over.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    They don't do that here :cry: . But my birthday was totally brilliant anyway.
  • I realized this morning that it was forty years ago today that I moved to Arizona (from New York). There have certainly been a lot of changes in my life over those forty years, but that seems very Biblical. (With Moses the plagues came before the forty years in the wilderness, with me they seem to be coming at the conclusion!)
    I hope you have scenic beauty to console you, @Pigwidgeon!
  • Yesterday was the first anniversary of the death of my friend Mike. I was thinking intently about something else, when the perfect image for a poem about him came to mind. Thanks, Mike. For that and everything else.
    {{{PG}}}
    Today should have been our 32nd wedding anniversary. :heartbreak:

In happier news, it would also be Thomas Cranmer's 531st birthday - I hope D's buying him a pint in Heaven.
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    (((Piglet)))
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    (((Piglet))) :heartbreak:
    {{{Piglet}}}

Also, (((Cranmer)))
    edited July 2020
    :smiley:

David was very tickled when he discovered that the date we'd set happened to be Cranmer's birthday - as we were married according to the Prayer Book, we hoped he would approve!
    Oh, absolutely, @Piglet!
  • Today was Mr S's 70th birthday, which we celebrated with

1) a walk down at the docks (classy, huh?) because it was the cleaner's day to do Chateau S
    2) tea at Miss S and SiL's, with two Intrepid Grandsons, cherry bakewell cake, scones with jam and cream and
    3) Korean tacos, everyone's favourite dinner!

It should also have been his mother's birthday; she would have been 93!

Many happy returns, Mr S xx

• Happy Birthday, Mr. S!

I have to ask -- What is a Korean taco?
    I was wondering that too - happy birthday, Mr. S! :)
  • Well, you take a flatbread and line the top half with cooked rice. Then you add kimchi, chicken or beef cooked in bulgogi sauce (sticky and spicy), sour cream, avocado, and the crowning glory - chipotle sriracha, which is a tomato sauce flavoured with that wonderful smoky chilli. Fold into a suitable shape and wolf down. Apparently they were devised by Korean immigrants to LA as street food - if you see the episode of the Simpsons where Carl and Lenny have a van to go tornado hunting in, its original purpose was to sell Korean tacos!

We buy kits from the Spicery though I'm sure other purveyors of delicious spices are available.

It's been a week for notable days as we FINALLY completed on the sale of the Dowager's house yesterday. It had been in the family for 52 years, ever since it was built, so I hope the purchasers enjoy it as much as they expect to!

Mrs. S, as rejoicing as a newt
    Well done, Mrs. S - and keep rejoicing! Would you like some virtual Solpadeine for your forthcoming hangover? :naughty:
  • 9/11. Nineteen years later...
    I would be interested in reading your memories, @NicoleMR. (Some of mine are in the Church of Fools Messages thread. Some of them aren’t.)
  • Ross, I'll PM you, tonight or tomorrow.
    Thank you, Nicole.
  • Yesterday (16 September) was @Clarence and my 30th Anniversary. I'm afraid that we're not so young-looking now. Well, Clarence is.
    Congratulations, Clarence and FD! :)
  • Congrats to you both (and those sleeves in the dress)
    I got married two years earlier than Clarence and FD, and my dress wasn't dissimilar - maybe not quite so puffy, but definitely on the same lines!
    I had a wreath much like that atop my head!
  • Praying today for @Piglet on the anniversary of David's death ♡
  • 🙏 ❤️ Indeed
    Praying today for @Piglet on the anniversary of David's death ♡

• 🙏
    edited September 2020
    Praying today for @Piglet on the anniversary of David's death ♡

Thanks so much, @TheOrganist, @Foaming Draught and @Cathscats - I was just coming here to post my own "in memoriam".

:heartbreak:
  • 🕯
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    (((Piglet))) :heartbreak:
  • So sorry Piglet.
    Thanks, everyone! :heart:
    Bless you, dear @Piglet. You remain in my prayers.
    Aah - thank you, Ross - as you do in mine. :heart:
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    ((Piglet))
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Today would have been my Dad's birthday. His death was a few years ago now, and usually his birthday passes and I'm completely unaware of it, but for some reason this year has been different. I miss him.
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited October 2020
    Huia wrote: »
    Today would have been my Dad's birthday. His death was a few years ago now, and usually his birthday passes and I'm completely unaware of it, but for some reason this year has been different. I miss him.
    ((Huia)) look after yourself
  • World Mental Health Day today. Be kind to yourselves and to others. x
    Happy birthday in Heaven to my mum, who would have been 93 today.