Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Fucking Guns

Comments

• The vaping industry must not have a good lobby
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Ohher, those are my thoughts exactly.
    It's as plain as the nose on my face that lives don't matter at all to Trump. Period. Otherwise, he would be as quick to end gun violence as he appears to want to end vaping deaths and illnesses.

• Golden Key wrote: »
    I did wonder about that. T doesn't drink at all, due to a promise to the brother he lost to alcoholism. I wonder what he feels about smoking, pot, etc.?
    I think trumpy smoking pot should be encouraged. Chill him out maybe. No crack, amphetamines, meth please. People get ridiculously irritable with these things at times.
  • US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/12/19

Statistics for 9/11/2019
    Total US shooting incidents: 88
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 33 (AL, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, MN, MS, MO, NV, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV, DC)
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 0
    Total deaths: 24
    Total injuries: 50
    Children under 12 killed: 0
    Info courtesy of GunViolence Archive.org.
    Any errors mine.
    I did wonder about that. T doesn't drink at all, due to a promise to the brother he lost to alcoholism. I wonder what he feels about smoking, pot, etc.?
    I think trumpy smoking pot should be encouraged. Chill him out maybe. No crack, amphetamines, meth please. People get ridiculously irritable with these things at times.

bastard is on something.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    NP--

Some people have a psychotic reaction to pot. As messed up as T already is, do you really want to take that chance???
    NP--

Some people have a psychotic reaction to pot. As messed up as T already is, do you really want to take that chance???

Valium? Heroin? Dart him like a wayword elephant?
    Peacefully take him off to a nice place in the country, with those high walls he likes. He could get lots of help, and heal, and have fun. And so could the rest of us.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Ohher wrote: »
    If I were you, I wouldn't waste effort into inquiring into 45's "feelings." I'd pay attention to the fact that a small number of deaths related to vaping has stirred the administration into frenzied demands for immediate action, while dozens of deaths and injuries every. single. day. from gun violence aren't even mentioned.
    I had the same thought, although I'm not sorry to see the vaping industry finally made answerable.

• Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited September 2019
    My mate gave up the fags using vaping. The idea was to then go tobacco free, but he's stuck on the vape. I feel kinda guilty because he reckons I got him on the fags in the first place, and yet I got off them 10 years ago.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Peacefully take him off to a nice place in the country, with those high walls he likes. He could get lots of help, and heal, and have fun. And so could the rest of us.

You are kind @Golden Key

I needed to see a bit of kindness. I’ve been in a political argument on Facebook today - silly me.

I’ve left the argument. I know she’s a kind person at heart so I told her that. Of course she then said I was being patronising. So I left without comment. Her and her friends - on the other political ‘side’ to me continue to call me names. I’m reading but not commenting, and will stay off it - I wonder how long they will rip into me before they realise it isn’t working.

I said to her “It is good to speak to people on the other side of the argument or we end up in our own echo chambers.”

She said “Frankly I find you self opinionated, undemocratic, rude, arrogant, ignorant, condescending and self centred!”

Ho hum - I did try. I let her get to me because she is so kind in other areas - she buys our tea light holders for people in her Labrador group who have lost beloved Labs, all out of her own pocket. I think I may have now lost a customer! 🤔

• Sorry to hear about your customer, Boogie. Meanwhile, back on the shooting range:

US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/13/19

Statistics for 9/12/2019
    Total US shooting incidents: 94
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 32 (AL, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MI, MS, MO, NV, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, SC, TN, TX, WI, DC)
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 2, both in Albuquerque, NM: First = 1 dead, 3 injured; second = 4 dead.
    Total deaths: 28
    Total injuries: 55
    Children under 12 killed: 1, age 3
    Info courtesy of Gun Violence Archive.org.
    Any errors mine.

edited September 2019
    oh God a three year old. Bugger it.

Boogie I hate those situations. I can argue with someone without rancor about politics, but I think I'm rare. I hate arguments getting in the way of friendship.
    The three-year-old found his father's pistol in a drawer and, not knowing what he was doing, shot himself in the head.

He was followed, a few hours later, by a 13-year-old who had just had a successful acting audition. DAMMIT.

• US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/14/19

Statistics for 9/13/2019
    Total US shooting incidents: 93
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 37 (AL, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NJ, NY, NC, ND, OH, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, DC)
    Total deaths: 36
    Total injuries: 57
    Any errors mine.
  • US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/15/19

Statistics for 9/14/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 28 (AL, CA, CO, CT, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, NJ, NY, NV, NC, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI, DC)
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 3 (CA=1 dead, 4 injured; GA=4 injured; MO=2 dead, 2 injured)
    Total deaths: 34
    Total injuries: 71
    Any errors mine.
  • US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/16/19

Statistics for 9/15/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 29 (AL, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KY, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NE, NJ, NY, NV, NC, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI, DC)
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 3 (CA=1 dead, 4 injured; GA=4 injured; MO=2 dead, 2 injured)
    Total deaths: 37 Total injuries: 70
    Children under 12 killed: 1, age 4; shot by another child under 12 (age not known)
    Any errors mine.
    Ohher, the list of states with no incidents would be shorter, in some cases, much shorter, than the list of states where shootings occur. That is making my heart hurt. :bawling:
  • jedijudy wrote: »
    Ohher, the list of states with no incidents would be shorter, in some cases, much shorter, than the list of states where shootings occur. That is making my heart hurt. :bawling:

I wish it made our Congress's hearts hurt. I wish it made the NRA's hearts hurt. Our citizenry is more concerned about losing their guns than losing their votes.

• US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/17/19

Statistics for 9/16/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 32 (AL, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MA, MI, MN, MT, NV, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI, WY, DC)
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 1, WY (2 dead, 2 injured)
    Total deaths: 38 Total injuries: 61
    Any errors mine.
    Well, if it's any comfort, San Francisco's declared the NRA a terrorist organization. Needless to say, the NRA isn't happy.
  • Looking for good news? Here's some: out of yesterday's total of 112 shooting incidents, 28 produced no human casualties at all.
    edited September 2019
    needle in a haystack. It's shocking going back and counting up the number of Americans directly affected by gun violence even in the last week, let alone friends and family for whom the experience would also be traumatic. Ripples of hurt, emanating from points all over the map.

I'm generally an incrementalist, but I reckon Beto is right here.
  • All Beto suggests (if I understand him correctly) is reinstatement of the 10-year-long assault weapons ban which expired in 2004. This is not a particularly radical approach.
    According to the Font of All Knowledge, that ban may have lessened the number of mass shootings but had little impact otherwise. I can't vouch for the article's accuracy; this is a domain where everyone on all sides can whip out apparently valid stats in support of of every possible position because (in part) of the many layers of local, state, and federal legislation, replete with definitions, involved, plus the grammatical and syntactic ambiguity of the wording of the Constitutional Amendment (plus, of course, the US Supreme Court's taking its appallingly partisan and utterly wrong-headed 2008 decision in DC v. Heller, which uncoupled gun ownership from militia duty).
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Well, if it's any comfort, San Francisco's declared the NRA a terrorist organization. Needless to say, the NRA isn't happy.

In the unlikely event I ever get to the USA, San Francisco may well be the only place I visit.
  • I have always found that Americans are kind and generous, even to a fault. I'm a polite person by upbringing, but I don't think that I draw out the politeness and kindness, I think it's basically a national trait: more true than false. Decent people. But perhaps as an optimistic person by nature, I see goodness before I see badness.

The gun thing does come up periodically during conversations in our travels. Almost universally again, people refer to the tragedy of it. When this is not the focus of what they say, they talk of proper training, storage and care. It doesn't seem insane.

I've been to American gun stores. I'm reminded of golf stores. Lots of specialized equipment and accessories, and places to try out your swing shooting. Most of it seems to be marketting. The people within seem different than those I talk to. Maybe it's my projection? I've felt there is a minority that has hijacked this, and with reflection, that a minority has hijacked your country perhaps at least since Nixon.

Is there is a deeper philosophical, perhaps spiritual question involved? That it's not "love your neighbour as yourself" and trying to take the perspective of the other person, but something old testament, of conquest, empire, Joshua and David, a recasting of Christian ethos through glorious violence. God of the car chase, helicopter gunship, invasion, profit. I'm also struck with the literature of it all, American movies. The redemption after violence meme, and the humour and profession of support that cushions it. The mass shooting and politicians comforting the survivors and everyone prays, and when possible, they watch the shooter get executed later.
  • US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/18/19

Statistics for 9/17/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 31 (AL, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, MS, MO, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI, DC)
    Total deaths: 25 Total injuries: 40
    Any errors mine.
  • A back to school message. [Content warning: video has sound and is technically speaking safe for work but is infuriating in the most literal sense of the word.]
  • Back to school fashion. You can buy a hooded sweatshirt with bullet holes already in it, with a school name on the front where there was a massacre. Quite fashion forward. https://abcnews.go.com/US/school-shooting-hoodies-complete-bullet-holes-land-fashion/story?id=65685560
  • A thoughtful post above NP. Thanks. It seems to me that there is a disconnect between manners and the prevailing 'I've got mine, you get your own' ethos in many conservative Americans. It is certainly there in some that I know personally. Its bizarre. They are so personally generous, welcoming and loving and yet so opposed to Government programmes designed to help disadvantaged people.

I have never liked or understood manners, I think, but we did a whole thread on that and I behaved badly.
  • US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/19/19

Statistics for 9/18/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 32 (AL, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, MS, MO, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI, DC)
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 2: CA, 2 dead, 2 injured; IL 4 injured
    Total deaths: 35 Total injuries: 49 Total incidents: 108
    Any errors mine.
  • Crœsos wrote: »
    A back to school message. [Content warning: video has sound and is technically speaking safe for work but is infuriating in the most literal sense of the word.]

That is quite chilling, Croesus - as is the video that followed it...
    These should not be necessary, and I find it baffling that they are....
  • What I find baffling are the 2A advocates who can be counted upon to post comments after opinion pieces on these issues, "But school shootings are so rare, statistically speaking. The victims are barely blips in the stats. Should we be giving up our Constitutional rights over something that hardly ever happens?" This makes me want to scream. I want to ask them, "Is that what you're going to say when it's your kid who's been shot into hamburger bits by some social isolate armed with AR-15?"
  • Ohher wrote: »
    What I find baffling are the 2A advocates who can be counted upon to post comments after opinion pieces on these issues, "But school shootings are so rare, statistically speaking. The victims are barely blips in the stats. Should we be giving up our Constitutional rights over something that hardly ever happens?" This makes me want to scream. I want to ask them, "Is that what you're going to say when it's your kid who's been shot into hamburger bits by some social isolate armed with AR-15?"
    But that's just it. There is a proportion of the population who don't give a flying fuck about anybody else's kids, and can't imagine it could possibly happen to theirs. Ditto for toddlers shooting each other or themselves, or suicides. We're a good family. That can't happen to us. Then all of a sudden when it DOES happen to them, a switch flips and they come across all community minded.
  • Ohher wrote: »
    What I find baffling are the 2A advocates who can be counted upon to post comments after opinion pieces on these issues, "But school shootings are so rare, statistically speaking. The victims are barely blips in the stats. Should we be giving up our Constitutional rights over something that hardly ever happens?" This makes me want to scream. I want to ask them, "Is that what you're going to say when it's your kid who's been shot into hamburger bits by some social isolate armed with AR-15?"
    School shootings are blips in the stats. Which is a statement that points to the enormity of the problem, not the dismissal of it.
  • mousethief wrote: »
    But that's just it. There is a proportion of the population who don't give a flying fuck about anybody else's kids, and can't imagine it could possibly happen to theirs. Ditto for toddlers shooting each other or themselves, or suicides. We're a good family. That can't happen to us. Then all of a sudden when it DOES happen to them, a switch flips and they come across all community minded.
    And what's with all the hopes and prayers? Meaningless if not containing something about changing the minds of hard-hearted legislators. Useless.
  • And what's with all the hopes and prayers? Meaningless if not containing something about changing the minds of hard-hearted legislators. Useless.
    Absolutely so.
  • US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/20/19

Statistics for 9/19/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 29 (AL, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, IA, KY, MD, MI, MS, MO, NE, NH, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, WV, WI, DC)
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 1: DC, 1 dead, 5 injured
    Total deaths: 26 Total injuries: 53 Total incidents: (Not totalled)
    Any errors mine.
  • US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/21/19

Statistics for 9/20/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 21 (AL, AR, CA, FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, LA, MA, MI, NE, NH, NJ, NC, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI)
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 1: LA, 1 dead, 5 injured
    Total deaths: 22 Total injuries: 55 Total incidents: (Not totalled)
    Any errors mine.
  • US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/22/19

Statistics for 9/21/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 28 (AL, AR, CO, CT, FL, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WV, DC)
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 3: LA, 4 injured; IN, 6 injured; SC, 2 dead, 8 injured
    Total deaths: 34 Total injuries: 73 Total incidents: (Not totalled)
    Any errors mine.
  • US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/23/19

Statistics for 9/22/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 36 (AL, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA. IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, DC)
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 1: MO, 5 injured
    Total deaths: 39 Total injuries: 106 Total incidents: (Not totalled)
    Children under 12 killed: 2: 1 age 1; 1 age 9; Joliet IL
    Any errors mine.
  • US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/24/19

Statistics for 9/23/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 28 (AL, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, IL, IN, LA, ME, MD, MA, MS, MO, NE, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, TN, TX, VA, WI, DC)
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 1: IN, 2 injured, 2 injured
    Total deaths: 31 Total injuries: 42 Total incidents: (79)
    Any errors mine.
  • quiet day :cry:
  • US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/25/19

Statistics for 9/24/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 27 (AL, AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, IN, LA, MD, MA, MS, MO, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV, DC)
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 1: IL, 1 dead, 3 injured
    Total deaths: 26 Total injuries: 54 Total incidents: (99)
    Children under 12 killed: 1, age 2; MO
    Any errors mine.
  • Honest question: Is this daily posting worth doing here?
    I find your reports to be sobering and valuable information, Ohher.
    We should be aware of people being killed and injured every day, but I hope the folks in charge of laws in this country are aware of them, also. These are our fellow humans, and we all need to care and be outraged. IMHO
  • I read it and pray, Ohher.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Honest question: Is this daily posting worth doing here?

I think they disrupt discussion.
    Honest question: Is this daily posting worth doing here?
    I think it is - but I recognize that it must be a lot of work to post these on a daily basis. I appreciate it, but it's your call.

Ohher--

For me, they feel like information overload--and I've got lots of that, about all kinds of negative things. I wind up treading water about the state of the world; so I try to keep my balance, so that I can sometimes float for a while and not be on the edge of drowning.

With this topic, I've discussed it a lot here, over the years, and sometimes still do. I sign petitions, and I vote on related items. My Congress critters are for gun control. But that's about all I can do. I can't cope with living in a state of constant fear, outrage, disgust, and sorrow--about guns/shootings, and anything else. *EVERYTHING* else.

So I usually don't really read the stats posted here. I'm not saying "don't post!". But you asked, and this is where I'm at.

IIRC, you're also posting stats on social media? ISTM that might do a world of good.
    :)