Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host
    edited September 2019
    Piglet, my grandmother had that same surgery. It worked very well for her and she had many healthy years afterwards. Hoping for the best for you.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    edited September 2019
    For Tessa's B, ThunderBunk's mum, Sarasa's brother and Piglet's D.

• Prayers ascending
  • May courage, blessings, and favorable outcomes attend all.
  • Ay - men!
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Candles for all
  • Definitely prayers and thanks 🕯
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    What a shock, Piglet! Holding you and D and all on this thread in prayer.
  • Ach, Piglet... Such emotional cartwheels, but good to know that everything went well for D. I know several people who have had that diagnosis and treatment (including beloved mother-in-law). It seems that the surgeons really have got the technique down tight, and a strong recovery is a reasonable expectation, with few after effects.

After effects... Exactly six years as of yesterday since the chemical warfare had to be stopped for fear of permanent brain damage. At least they know not to offer that to me ever again. (And to answer the obvious question, damned if I know if there is permanent damage or not, though some of my friends have their suspicions).
  • Oh Piglet, you and D are in my prayers. May it continue to go well.

May God's gracious presence be known to all who post or pray here.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Thanks, everyone. Still so far, so good; his haemoglobin was a bit down again today, but that's apparently to be expected.

We're still reeling a bit, but prayers are ascending from over here for all of you.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    {{{Piglet}}} I'm so grateful that the surgery went well, Prayers for you and D, and for all mentioned here.
  • Yay, me!
    Climbed out of The Hole!
    (As I call the days at the end of my treatment cycle).
    Was feeling great yesterday. A Parcel arrived from Britain and so I read Margaret Atwood's The Testaments till well after midnight! There's nothing like an excellent book to celebrate one's return to the Land of the Living!
    In between I did laundry, made dinner and sent encouraging texts to Dear Daughter in Aotearoa-New Zealand whose baby has "Ears: recurrent infections of" and is running out of sick days from work.

Prayers for all here - it's a plague!
    Good news on climbing out of that Hole, Galilit, I look forward to hearing what you thought of The Testaments. Love your resilience, lady!

#teamRossweisse

Piglet, you and D are in my thoughts and prayers.

Last week, my friend Nancy, very health-conscious and energetic, called to say she was having a radical mastectomy for breast cancer and I felt as if the floor had gone under my feet. She is in good spirits and the prognosis is cautious but good -- all the same, the shock waves are still reverberating.
  • Oh Piglet! Thank goodness they found it and got it out, but poor D, and poor you.
  • (((D and Piglet)))
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Galilit - I totally argee on the healing powers of a good book,

Also thinking of your grandchild - in solidarity re ear infections. They too seem like a plague here, spreading misery wherever they strike.
  • idjidj Shipmate Posts: 28
    Prayers for Piglet and D, and everyone affected. And, of course, all here suffering from any sort of cancer related illness or affected by it.
    Thanks, everyone. Today was a rather less good one: we'd been warned that the third day after surgery is the worst, as you're coming down from the anaesthetic, and the epidural had been taken away. He was hopeful of a better night's sleep tonight though, as his erstwhile room-mate, who was having hallucinations last night, is away home (although apparently coming back tomorrow) so he's got the room to himself.

Small steps ...
  • A friend of mine both on facebook and in real life, has been undergoing chemotherapy for stomach cancer. Today she posted on facebook about her condition. The chemo has stopped working, and there aren't any more treatments with a better than 10% chance of doing any good, and they all have side effects, so she's pretty much decided to stop treatment, which will give her probably 3-6 months to live. So I'd ask for a hearty "Fuck cancer" for Rae.

edited September 2019
    Prayers ascending...
    For Rae: FUCK CANCER!
    For Piglet and D : May things improve rapidly
    For Galilit: Yay for climbing out of the hole!
    For all afflicted and affected by this monstrous disease

I'm still having serious fatigue issues with the study drug, but since it's my last shot, I'm dealing with it. And as my liver swells (and my abdomen with it), may I say, 'Thank God for elastic waistbands.'

This is very small scale compared to other posters here, but I'm tired. I'm back at work, having been given the all clear, and I want to catch up with all the stuff I've missed in the past months. But I do a little bit, and I need a rest. It's frustrating, and makes me feel guilty.
  • Stercus TauriStercus Tauri Shipmate
    edited September 2019
    This is very small scale compared to other posters here, but I'm tired. I'm back at work, having been given the all clear, and I want to catch up with all the stuff I've missed in the past months. But I do a little bit, and I need a rest. It's frustrating, and makes me feel guilty.

It's not small scale, Robert; it changes your life while it lasts. It's a phase of the cancer, one way or another, and there's absolutely no need to feel guilty about it. Physical exercise is always good for the body if you are able take it, but doesn't seem to affect the fatigue much (for me). You don't want to hear me rant on about it!
  • @Robert Armin , please DO NOT FEEL GUILTY about being tired!

I live with constant fatigue (O! Cheer me up, why don't you? I hear you say) since my brain surgery, but that goes with the territory.

Hopefully, by the Grace of God, you will feel less fatigued by whatever-it-is-you're-doing, as time goes by.

If you feel you need a rest after each task, take it - and make sure others know that you need to rest from time to time. Peeps don't always cotton on to these things, thinking that you're fully fit again, when you're actually running on 3 cylinders, rather than 4, IYSWIM...
    Everyone else is being very good, and telling me to go slowly. In fact they are saying what I would be saying to anyone in my position. Sadly I find it easier to give advice than take it.
  • Well, if others are being good, just take heed of them! It is, truly, easier to give advice, I agree...
    :wink:
    D's having a very sleepy day today: although he was awake-ish when I arrived, he fell asleep very shortly afterwards. They've just attached a TPN and got him out of bed into a chair, but he's fallen asleep again.

There's a reason a friend used to call him the Dormouse ...

Hopefully the nutrition from the TPN will give him a bit of get-up-and-go.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    My brother seems in danger of fading away. He's not been able to eat properly for weeks and is so weak he can't really lift his arms or get out of bed. They seem to have got the pancreas problem mostly sorted, but he now has a blocked bowel. How much more awful stuff can be chucked in his direction?
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    They are very keen on having you up and active these days (I was home two days after a radical hysterectomy) - which I'm sure is clinically sound in many ways. But it encourages you to discount the amount of time it takes to recover fully.

There's a lot to be said for restoring convalescence as a concept. In Europe, they believe in hydrotherapy rather more: a Slovenian friend, who had serious breast cancer, was sent to a spa as part of her recuperation.
    Everyone else is being very good, and telling me to go slowly. In fact they are saying what I would be saying to anyone in my position. Sadly I find it easier to give advice than take it.
    I know; I have the same problem. But it's important to rest and refrain from pushing yourself too hard. Give yourself enough time to recover.

• Thinking of you all and wishing you well. Being in remission, cancer is not a daily concern for me, so I think I am quite lucky.
    D. has had a rough couple of days - after the initial relief/drug-induced euphoria, he really wasn't making any progress, and this afternoon he had to have further surgery, as the internal stitches leaked. They seem to have been able to sort it, but he's in Intensive Care and still very weak.

My admiration for all of you who have been through this sort of thing knows no bounds - you're all in my prayers.
  • So sorry, Piglet. Hope you're bearing up.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    That is tough Piglet. Bowel cancer surgery seems to be trickier than patients are first lead to believe, well at least that seems to be the case for D and my brother. Hope D starts getting properly well pronto. News form my brother is that things are slightly better as feeding tube etc seem to be doing their jobs. Prayers for you both and for all that post on this thread.
    Praying for Piglet and D, and for Sarasa and her brother.
  • Ouch! {{Piglet, D., Sarasa & Brother}}
    Turbo prayers ascending, Piglet.
  • D 🕯
  • @Piglet the whole process sounds horrible. Prayers for you both for strength, endurance and peace.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Thinking of Piglet and D.
  • I stayed away from here for about a month after my brother died, just didn't want to think about cancer for a bit, so I just caught up the last four pages at once. Dang! We here are just a little tiny group of people and it's still just so overwhelming.

Anger and prayers for all.
    Thanks again, everyone. D's likely to be in Intensive Care for a few days yet, and heavily sedated, but he briefly opened his eyes while I was there today. I think the sedation is as much to give the weapons-grade antibiotics a chance to do their thing as anything else, although he'll probably suffer a fair bit of pain when he's weaned off the anaesthetic.
  • You're right on the bit about antibiotics getting a chance to do their thing. More evidence that when your grandmother told you Sleep is the best medicine she was on the right track.

Prayers for D, Piglet and the team looking after him.
    It's worth acknowledging on this thread how incredible Ross is being, taking on being a Hell Host when her health is less than stellar. A round of applause to her, and candles for all suffering.
  • What TheOrganist's gran said...

• It's worth acknowledging on this thread how incredible Ross is being, taking on being a Hell Host when her health is less than stellar. A round of applause to her, and candles for all suffering.

O - just noticed this.

Hear, hear.
  • Hear hear! 🕯D and all others here.
    Thank you. We shall see how long I manage! (I’m still working half-time, too.)
    Can I have the "not worthy" emoji back, to indicate my awe at Ross? But please don't do too much.
  • If what I actually do is prayer, so be it; I can't call it that. But I send my hopes, wishes, and energies out into the ether for all of you.