Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• @Piglet, words fail me. You are in my thoughts - what more could I say.
  • Piglet, I’m so very sorry. My love to you.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Thank you all (again).

• RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Prayers continuing for Piglet and D, and for tessaB and B.
  • Piglet, you were held in prayer at Christ Church this morning.
  • What people thought about being asked to pray for Piglet I don't know, but who cares...
  • Piglet, so sorry to read this shocking news. You are in my prayers.
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host
    I'm so sorry.

((((Piglet))))
    Thank you all. God will have understood who Piglet is, even if your congregation didn't.
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    If not, He can look it up on Godle.

<votive> for all on this thread
  • Oh Piglet I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Another infrequent poster to say how very sorry I am. It felt as if we all knew D and will so miss hearing about all you did together.
    Thank you!
  • I had a remarkable experience this afternoon which made me think of you all. I was waiting at a very long stoplight when a murmuration of starlings came swooping from north to south across the road and disappeared behind a cluster of trees.

It was the first time I've seen this phenomenon, and while I was enjoying the sight, the words "a flock of orneries" popped into my head. Right then, the flock came swooping back across the sky, and I felt they were surrounding you all with protection.

It seems to me the "flock of Orneries" imagery has made itself a part of the Ship's culture (and it's now coming up in my autofill).
    I like that, @Mamacita!

@Piglet, a friend took me to a Eucharist (and dinner, and study session) at church this evening. When we came to the proper part of the Prayers of the People, I added D's name.
  • Hadn't been looking at this thread. Directed by the Roses are red Circus thread.

Astounded, shocked to read dear Piglet's story of D. Heartfelt and the kindest wishes ever to you.
    Thank you both very much, Ross and NP! :heart:
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    I had a really bad night; throwing up every few hours. This morning I had a mouthful of water and some chocolate, two of the safest things, and they came back too. I hope it's only something stuck in a sensitive spot that is causing this, but not keeping food down was the symptom that I had cancer last time.
  • Robert Armin that sounds horrible. Prayers abounding.

And for all on this torrid journey.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    @Robert Armin prayers there’s nothing sinister going on 🕯
  • Might be stress, too. Talk to your GP and see, but do consider asking for medical help with the stress if you haven't got it already. Please?
    Thanks for all the support. Managed a meal this evening, and drunk a couple of pints of water, so think it was something temporary and minor. Sorry to make a fuss.
  • Make all the fuss you want. You have reason.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    We are here for you to make a fuss!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    edited October 2019
    Robert - I'm not worried about any fuss, just glad it wasn't necessary.

Look after yourself.
  • Indeed Robert, glad you're feeling better.
    Fuss all you like, Robert!

Prayers ascending for all with the evil disease.
    You lot are wonderful! But, am I the only person to think, there are all these people suffering seriously, so my little bit of stuff hardly counts? (And I wouldn't accept that line of reasoning from anyone else, I know....)
  • No. I would guess at least a third of the board do that. However, I have to keep reminding myself that others' suffering does not negate my own. I acknowledge that most people are more interested in their own suffering than others', self-included, but we also want to be the sort of people who are there for others in their suffering.
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Piglet, I’m late to this thread, but so, so sorry to hear about D. The disease is evil indeed... Heartfelt wishes to you over the next days, weeks, and beyond.
  • You lot are wonderful! But, am I the only person to think, there are all these people suffering seriously, so my little bit of stuff hardly counts? (And I wouldn't accept that line of reasoning from anyone else, I know....)

Robert Armin, that last bit..........I've been wanting to tell you that for quite a while. :) It is the gem in the middle of the illness. Somehow you (and me too - not cancer but still miserable) need to figure it out. All that talk of suffering being good somehow must have been written by someone who didn't suffer all that much. It does develop empathy. I'll give you that much. The worry is more than half of it.
  • I wonder if The World does indeed need more empathy, not necessarily more love (though that does seem in short supply sometimes).

Does empathy lead to love? Or is it t'other way round?

IYSWIM.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    This article from the Guardian sort of sums it all up; it is long but heartbreaking and very true. I have been given most of the drugs she mentions. The worst was adriamycin: It worked, but at great cost.

I just read this. Even after getting daily desriptions from my brother last year, it was deeply shocking. Certain descriptions were stunning, "radiology turns a person made of feelings and flesh into a patient made of light and shadows," for example.

I can't fully describe my sympathy for people with this disease, but I can promise that, next election, I will vote for the person with the best medicare for all plan, no matter what else is on their platform.
    Fuss all you like, Robert!
    Prayers ascending for all with the evil disease.
    Thank you, Twilight. I'm glad you found the article worthwhile.

• Robert - I once pointed out (possibly here) that when you are out of work, the unemployment rate is 100% as far as you are concerned. I think the same reasoning applies to cancer, and it has to claim our attention until we've done all we can to deal with it, while sharing the adventure with others. And like the children we once were, sometimes we cry, because we need to.

(From a blustery wet Iona)
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    This article from the Guardian sort of sums it all up; it is long but heartbreaking and very true. I have been given most of the drugs she mentions. The worst was adriamycin: It worked, but at great cost.

I too have just read this, and my reaction is very much like Twilight's. I'm stunned by how beautifully it is written and yet speechless at how heartbreaking it is. Fuck this horrid disease.

(I don't post much, but I read this thread almost daily and continue to hold you all in prayer.)

• Yes, Anne Boyer's article is both poignant, and potent...

A member of our congregation, B, died back in early March, having had bowel cancer on-and-off (IYSWIM) for 5 years. He managed to cope with it fairly well initially, and had a few years' respite (albeit with a colostomy bag), before the cancer came back just before Christmas 2018.

This time round, he refused treatment, though chemotherapy was an option offered, and, having read the article, I now dimly begin to see why. B settled for palliative care instead, and was enabled to live long enough to be reconciled to his estranged son, and the son's family, which was a real gift from God.
    I went in for my weekly checkup with the research oncologist this afternoon. The good news is that I don't have to go back in for a month (although I have an MRI on Friday, and a ScanFest in another three weeks); the bad news is that my liver enzyme numbers are back to being sky-high. I need for them to go lower. Please.

• Prayers continuing for you, Rossweisse, and for Robert Armin, and of course for Piglet.
  • Worrying. #teamRossweisse
    Prayers ascending for all who post or pray here.
  • idjidj Shipmate Posts: 28
    Continued prayers for everyone here, especially Piglet right now. I still lurk here but don't post much. I've nothing to say that anyone wants to hear, I don't think. Cancer is so awful!
  • idj wrote: »
    Continued prayers for everyone here, especially Piglet right now. I still lurk here but don't post much. I've nothing to say that anyone wants to hear, I don't think. Cancer is so awful!

Idj, when my young granddaughter had acute leukaemia and treatment for several years, I was heartened by every message of encouragement and every prayer offered. Worldwide. Thankfully she is now in remission but has constant checkups. Don’t downplay anything you write. It may well be just what someone wants and needs to hear.

Ross. Candles, candles, candles!
  • ((Ross)) Prayers for all.
    I've started having a lot of trouble moving around, but I'm a little better in some regards. This is certainly an adventure! Thank you for all your prayers.

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    Oh, Ross. May the adventure keep getting better in various more regards. En garde, Orneries!
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Prayers for Ross and others here; and others who may be reading and needing prayer but don't feel able to say.
    Can you train your orneries to run errands for you Ross? I've tried and failed with my cats, but it might be worth a go. ;)
  • Prayers for all

I have a simple cold - which is dreary and tedious, she complained after 36 hours! Thank G-D it's Yom Kippur - so I have QUIET (quiet to the power of 10) ... to and from all points of the compass
  • Prayers ascending.