Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Fucking Guns

Comments

• DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    As a result of your posts @Ohher I found the gun archive twitter feed and subscribe to it on twitter.
  • Ruth wrote: »
    Ohher wrote: »
    Honest question: Is this daily posting worth doing here?

I think they disrupt discussion.

Scroll.
  • mousethief wrote: »
    Ruth wrote: »

Scroll.
    Question was asked and Ruth's is a direct answer, what is the problem?
  • Ruth's response is what I was concerned about; the number of posts to this thread seems to have dwindled down to almost none except these stats. Result? Plenty to scroll past, but nothing to scroll to.
  • lilbuddha wrote: »
    mousethief wrote: »

Scroll.

Who says there's a problem?
  • I read them every couple of days and count up those directly impacted. I look for kids and mass shootings. I find it worthwhile.

It may be that I should add the website if people decided that it wasn't suitable on the thread. But I value your work and your commitment Ohher.

GK I'm sure you are on top of this as a sensible person, but doing what you are doing on guns is all that anyone can ask for. We can't all work on all the wrongs of this world all the time.
  • RooKRooK Shipmate
    It's not particularly conversation-generating to see the regular statistics, but it feels worthwhile to me. Because we do get tired of conversing this, but we should not only revive this when the horror and outrage clears our ever heightening threshold of numbness. The persistently terrible truth of under-regulated firearms in the US is something that we need to not stop struggling against.

I say keep us informed. Keep us cognizant that this isn't getting better, even as we get distracted by other things.
    lilbuddha wrote: »

Scroll.

Who says there's a problem?
    Scroll is the typically dismissive comment given when one complains about another's posts. It is often ridiculous in that context, in the context of a legitimate answer to a question it is kinda bizarre.
  • Scroll is a general answer to a general complaint "I don't like to read this." She did not ask any question.
  • Ohher wrote: »
    Ruth's response is what I was concerned about; the number of posts to this thread seems to have dwindled down to almost none except these stats. Result? Plenty to scroll past, but nothing to scroll to.
    When I saw your question, I started to compose a text similar to Ruth's, because it seemed to me that your postings were preaching to the choir. But some of the responses indicate the choir think it valuable. So,ISTM, the dwindling response is not indicative of how useful others think it is.

• RooKRooK Shipmate
    Will you two just fuck already?
    Scroll is a general answer to a general complaint "I don't like to read this." She did not ask any question.
    Ohher asked a question
    Ruth answered it. Seriously, WTF?
  • RooK wrote: »
    Voyeur
  • RooK wrote: »

Took the works out of my mouth. Can either of you just let side issues slide?
  • RuthRuth Shipmate

Scroll.

I do. I wouldn't have said anything if Ohher hadn't asked.
  • The posts drive home the reality of the vastness of gun violence in this country. Please continue to post them Ohher.
  • lilbuddha wrote: »
    Ruth answered it. Seriously, WTF?
    Indeed, WTF? Why did you have to jump into this at all? What did it accomplish?
  • While mousethief and lilbuddha continue their riveting and informative discussion on who is and is not entitled to offer opinions in response to a question, I'll just chime in here with the following: it appears that of 10 responses, there are 2, perhaps 3 in the "Nope, don't bother" camp; 1 in the "maybe, maybe not" camp, and 6 in the "Keep going" camp.

So here are the stats for Wednesday, which I never posted Thursday:

US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/26/19

Statistics for 9/25/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 33 (AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, KS, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI, DC)
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 0
    Total deaths: 31 Total injuries: 61 Total incidents: 115
    Children under 12 killed: 0
    Info courtesy of Gun Violence Archive.org.
    Any errors mine
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Thank you, @Ohher.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    More edifying than mousethief and lilbuddha's exchange, easily.
  • Aaaand . . . here are the stats for yesterday (sorry, Ruth!):

US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/27/19

Statistics for 9/26/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 24 (AR, CA, CO, CT, GA, IL, IA, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MS, MO, NV,NJ, NY, NC, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, DC
    Total deaths: 31 Total injuries: 61 Total incidents: 115
    Any errors mine.
  • US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/28/19

Statistics for 9/27/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 34 (AL, AZ, CA, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI, DC
    Total deaths: 32 Total injuries: 72 Total incidents: 108
    Any errors mine.
  • US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/29/19

Statistics for 9/28/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 30 (AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, LA, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI, DC
    Total deaths: 45 Total injuries: 67 Total incidents: 109
    Any errors mine.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Aaaand . . . here are the stats for yesterday (sorry, Ruth!):

No need to apologize! I'm a grown-up - I can scroll down. This neither the first nor the last time my opinion will be in the minority.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Simon Toad--
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    GK I'm sure you are on top of this as a sensible person, but doing what you are doing on guns is all that anyone can ask for. We can't all work on all the wrongs of this world all the time.

Thanks. Sometimes, they all pile up--and, at this point, they're doing that exponentially.
  • Ohher - I appreciate these stats. I now have a very clear view that, on an average day, 30 or so people wake up in the morning who don't go to sleep the following night, due to gun violence. And the next day, it's another 30. It's quite something to see, on and on again, and it leads me to pray. Don't feel required to go on forever, but it's been a big thing for me to see.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Don't feel required to go on forever, but it's been a big thing for me to see.

It's been eye-opening for me as well, to see some of my own assumptions challenged about "where" gun violence was more likely to occur. When it happens regularly -- nearly daily -- in more than half of US states, that's staggering.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 9/30/19

Statistics for 9/29/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 36 (AL, AZ, AR, CA, CO, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MS, NE, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VT, VA, WV, WI)
    Total deaths: 33 Total injuries: 99 Total incidents: 129
    Any errors mine.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 10/1/19

Statistics for 9/30/2019
    # States + DC where incidents occurred: 27 (AL, AR, CA, FL, IL, IA, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MS, NE, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI, DC)
    Total deaths: 18 Total injuries: 52 Total incidents: 71
    Any errors mine.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    MONTHLY US GUN VIOLENCE SUMMARY
    9/1/19 – 9/30/19

Deaths: 924 (includes 12 children under 12)
    Injuries: 1,822
    Mass shootings (4 or more deaths/injuries): 28

Info courtesy of Gun Violence Archive.org
    Any errors mine
  • The monthly summary should be seen as a national emergency. If anything else had these stats there would be congressional hearings and laws passed.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    No kidding: Washington was calling out the Harvards and the Yales after 2 vaping deaths. Toddler toys get recalled after a handful of injuries. A dozen little ones dead in a month from gun violence? Crickets . . .
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Remember lawn darts?
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Remember lawn darts?

I do. My family had a set. They disappeared after the ban.

US SHOOTINGS REPORT 10/2/19

In the interests of time & space, I’m shorting this format by omitting the list of states and total shooting incidents. Here’s what will be reported going forward:

Statistics for 10/1/2019
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 1 (4 injured)
    Total deaths: 39
    Total injuries: 73
    Any errors mine.
    Convince Congress that gun control is as important as the baseball mess they tried to sort out, years back.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 10/3/19

Statistics for 10/2/2019
    Total deaths: 25
    Total injuries: 52
    Any errors mine.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 10/4/19

Statistics for 10/3/2019
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 1; 1 dead, 3 injured
    Total injuries: 68
    Any errors mine.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 10/5/19

Statistics for 10/4/2019
    Total deaths: 12
    Total injuries: 44
    Any errors mine.

US SHOOTINGS REPORT 10/4/19
    CORRECTION
    Statistics for 10/3/2019
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 2; 2 dead, 6 injured
    Total injuries: 68
    Any errors mine.

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 10/5/19

Statistics for 10/4/2019
    Total deaths: 12
    Total injuries: 44
    Any errors mine.

It occurs to me to wonder how a substantial reduction in gun violence in the US might affect health care costs.
    ...It occurs to me to wonder how a substantial reduction in gun violence in the US might affect health care costs.
    It couldn't help but improve them.

• alot more than making migrants without health insurance.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 10/7/19

Statistics for 10/6/2019
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 3: 4 dead, 14 injured
    Total deaths: 37
    Total injuries: 90
    Any errors mine.

JESUS H. FUCKING CHRIST ON A RAFT IN MID-OCEAN.

Three MASS SHOOTINGS. Thirty-seven corpses. 90 people injured by gun violence, their lives perhaps drastically altered, and in a country where they may or may not have access to healthcare. ONE FUCKING DAY IN THE USA.
  • RooKRooK Shipmate
    Yet somehow, unremarkable such that we hear nothing about it otherwise.

I feel ill.
    So do I. How do we manage to be so blasé about these horrors?

• RuthRuth Shipmate
    I can only sustain a finite amount of outrage, myself. And then I go do something else.
  • I heard nothing of this, despite being mostly tuned to a 24hr news channel: bushfires, Trump and Hong Kong. That's about it.
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    One case of gun violence in America that actually makes the news here on the other side of the Pacific Ocean is the trial in Texas of the off-duty cop who walked into the wrong apartment (thinking it was hers0 , saw a strange man there, and shot him on sight. I have lived in an apartment block where my neighbours and I often made this mistake (the apartments above each other look the same at first glance and have the same floor plan) .

The difference was that I was in a country with very strict gun laws, so we just went "oops", apologised and walked away with both of us still alive and ready to laugh at the experience, rather than cry at the funeral. .
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    US SHOOTINGS REPORT 10/8/19

Statistics for 10/7/2019
    Total mass shootings (4 or more casualties): 1: 5 dead
    Total deaths: 29
    Total injuries: 65
    Children under 12 killed: 3: 1 age 11, 2 age 9
    Any errors mine.
    Tukai--

Thanks for that post. I didn't follow the story closely; but I had a hard time believing her account, and believing that the man's door was unlocked or open. (Maybe in a college dorm, but an apartment building?) But your experiences make her account more plausible.

---

Did anyone else hear about what the victim's brother did for his killer? Here's an account from NBC News, in the first half of the article.

Wow.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    One of the witnesses in that case has already been murdered, police reports of how he came to be shot in the mouth are implausible at best.