Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Purgatory: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread.

Comments

• Barnabas62Barnabas62 Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Barnabas--

IIRC, Lamb Chopped is supposed to post the last post? There was a thread in Styx.

I hadn’t forgotten! So get in with your own final thoughts.

• BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    His legacy is a riotous mob storming the Capitol with his name physically all over it.

History will forever link that to trump’s name and nothing else.
  • Well, if the Trump presidency proves one thing it is that the highest office in the USA really is open to all.

No, I haven't lost the plot. Think about it and look at the man. He is living proof that what had been thought of as vital requirements for the job* are optional.

- honesty and integrity
    - coherent policies
    - financial probity
    - intelligence
    - patriotism
    - ability to put country above self or party
    - dignity in representing the USA abroad
    - lack of vice
    - understanding of foreign affairs
    - preparedness to be the servant of every US citizen

How anyone with an IQ above a plank could ever have thought that Trump possessed even one of these vital requirements is beyond me.
  • Well, if the Trump presidency proves one thing it is that the highest office in the USA really is open to all.

Are you sure that substantial wealth isn't a de facto criterion? Has anyone who wasn't in the top 5% by either annual income or wealth ever won the presidency?
  • Trump actually spent virtually nothing of his own money. And tales of his "wealth" are fiction.

Are you sure that substantial wealth isn't a de facto criterion? Has anyone who wasn't in the top 5% by either annual income or wealth ever won the presidency?

I think the general gist of The Organist's post was that Trump proves you don't need to be intelligent, competent, or ethical to be president.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Well, if the Trump presidency proves one thing it is that the highest office in the USA really is open to all.

Lincoln? Truman?
  • stetson wrote: »
    Well, if the Trump presidency proves one thing it is that the highest office in the USA really is open to all.

I think the general gist of The Organist's post was that Trump proves you don't need to be intelligent, competent, or ethical to be president.

And I agree about that (though we already knew that from Bush the lesser). My point was that it's extremely hard for anyone to be taken seriously as a presidential candidate without serious money of their own, and that is an important restriction to be aware of.
  • Gramps49 wrote: »
    I hear tell it will cost the American Taxpayer $500,000 to deep clean the White House before the Bidens will be able to move in. Do you think it will be enough to clear out the Trump stench?

I suspect it'll be more than that. Remember that Trump is the one who met privately with various Russian diplomats and a Russian film crew in the Oval Office. Given that there was no one in the room except Trump, Kislyak, Lavrov, and a Russian media crew (with bags full of various electronic devices) the need to "clean" the Oval of any surveillance devices is another necessity. The problem, of course, is you're never sure if you've caught them all, so you have to keep looking.
  • edited January 2021
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    I hear tell it will cost the American Taxpayer $500,000 to deep clean the White House before the Bidens will be able to move in. Do you think it will be enough to clear out the Trump stench?

I would be so tempted to get a pastor or priest in, to exorcise the place.

Well.... here's buffalo hat shaman guy leading prayer inside the USA capitol building (transcript): https://twitter.com/jackmjenkins/status/1350827561593532418?s=20
    Sounds rather Christian and that they're wanting to exorcise something else.

The video footage is here: https://www.newyorker.com/news/video-dept/a-reporters-footage-from-inside-the-capitol-siege

(You just know that "buffalo hat shaman" costumes are going to be big for Hallowe'en)
  • jay_emmjay_emm Kerygmania Host
    Ironically one of the new Georgian congressmen was also arrested for praying in the Capital (obviously a different time, different prayer).

Also was that (the fake Shaman's) prayer pre-drafted for after the "communists, globalists and traitors" had been got rid of. It's composition history could be interesting...
    "White light" is a bit freudian
  • jay_emmjay_emm Kerygmania Host
    edited January 2021
    For 'also arrested...' read 'actually, arrested...', the implicit contrast between the two doesn't come across in text.
  • jay_emm wrote: »
    "White light" is a bit freudian

Sounds somewhat pagan to me. I did a search on biblical usage of the phrase, and those two words don't seem to appear together anywhere. (Though of course they appear individually in many places in the Bible, symbolizing more-or-less the same thing.)

• As I said elsewhere, I look forward to seeing all threads Trump passing away naturally. Just because he stops being president on 12:01 20 Jan 2021 does not mean he is going away. We will still have the impeachment trial and, even if he is convicted--or not--he will still be in the news because of the ongoing legal and financial problems he has caused in his wake. Let them die off on their own.
  • Why are you so invested in this as to be posting it in at leasr 3 different places?
  • Why are you so invested in this as to be posting it in at leasr 3 different places?

Because the effects of this man's presidency does not end on 20 January. I do not think that was taken into account. There was no polling of the membership. It seems arbitrary. Let this thread die on its own.
  • Gramps49 wrote: »
    Why are you so invested in this as to be posting it in at leasr 3 different places?

Because the effects of this man's presidency does not end on 20 January. I do not think that was taken into account. There was no polling of the membership. It seems arbitrary. Let this thread die on its own.

His presidency does. His presence in public life does not.
  • We can start a new thread specifically on the impeachment trial.
  • NicoleMR wrote: »
    We can start a new thread specifically on the impeachment trial.
    Hopefully just one Trump post-presidency thread, instead of the multiple blurred-remit threads we have now.

• Indeed yes.
  • Notice I said the effects of his presidency will be long felt. He will have a large impact on our international and domestic policies. We will have a long time to repair his presidential actions. Just this past week his administration approved a large open-pit mine for lithium in Arizona. We do need our own strategic supply of lithium (China provides 90% of Lithium), but what is not known is that the mine will destroy the sacred ground of the Apache nation--their center of the earth as it were.

I remember when this thread was formed, our benevolent overlords ruled that this thread was supposed to be for all things trump, then they opened up other threads dealing with trump. Seems like they are trying to put the genie back in the box and destroy the box.

I say let this box remain. It will eventually die out. Let it be a natural death.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Re possible impeachment trial:

I realized, this morning, *one* of the reasons Mitch McConnell delayed the Senate part of it: Kamala Harris. Kamala is set to resign from the Senate tomorrow, so she won't be able to vote on impeachment.
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    Re possible impeachment trial:

I realized, this morning, *one* of the reasons Mitch McConnell delayed the Senate part of it: Kamala Harris. Kamala is set to resign from the Senate tomorrow, so she won't be able to vote on impeachment.

I'm not sure if it makes a big difference to Mitch McConnell if it's Kamala Harris or Alex Padilla who casts a vote as California's junior senator in the (second) senate trial of Donald Trump.
  • Here is an example of how Biden will have to deal with Trump's damages.
    Croesos--

Yeah, I wasn't thinking past Kamala. Just struck me, when I heard about it this morning, that it was an odd situation that Mitch McConnell would want to avoid. Optics, if nothing else.
  • I'm really not seeing optics meaning a lot to Moscow Mitch when he sat on a veritable mountain of legislation for 4 years.
  • This thread has taught me so much about the American political system, and the more I discover, the more I have to learn. But lack of knowledge has never stopped me expressing an opinion.

I realise I will never go back to the way I looked at American politics before: basically ok with what was going on, and tuning in for the one year plus show every four years, like watching a horse race. I think I will probably spend the rest of my days looking at history in an attempt to understand the present.

I am so pleased for our American shipmates, so relieved for you. The endless game of whack-a-mole will continue against the fascists, but at least the President won't be holding the FBI's arms behind its back. Thankyou, Americans, for correcting me when I was wrong and for explaining things for me. It looks like Australians won't be able to travel without a permit for the rest of this year, but when I do manage to go back to America, I plan to meet as many of you as my wife (an introvert) can manage.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    This thread has taught me so much about the American political system, and the more I discover, the more I have to learn. But lack of knowledge has never stopped me expressing an opinion.

I realise I will never go back to the way I looked at American politics before: basically ok with what was going on, and tuning in for the one year plus show every four years, like watching a horse race. I think I will probably spend the rest of my days looking at history in an attempt to understand the present.

I am so pleased for our American shipmates, so relieved for you. The endless game of whack-a-mole will continue against the fascists, but at least the President won't be holding the FBI's arms behind its back. Thankyou, Americans, for correcting me when I was wrong and for explaining things for me. It looks like Australians won't be able to travel without a permit for the rest of this year, but when I do manage to go back to America, I plan to meet as many of you as my wife (an introvert) can manage.

Thank you. We really do appreciate the prayers and well-wishes of people from other countries. We really need it right now. Josephine and I will be happy to meet you, and put you up if you need a pad to crash in, if you visit the Seattle area.
  • wonderful! I'm hoping you guys live in the same tower as Frazier. :wink:
  • There are three Shipmates in the Phoenix area. Please stop by!
    And you know where San Francisco is. :)
  • You are all very generous. I am compiling a list :smiley:
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    The FBI has been vetting the thousands of National Guard troops (for ties to far right militia groups) sent to cover the inauguration due to security concerns after the violent riot at the Capitol earlier this month.

I find it confusing that they haven’t already been vetted for such alegencies, before they were allowed to join.
  • If you get to New York City, @Simon Toad , you know I'd love to meet you. Can't offer a place to stay though, no room.
  • The full extent of the Trump legacy may take even longer to realise than people think.
  • Boogie wrote: »
    The FBI has been vetting the thousands of National Guard troops (for ties to far right militia groups) sent to cover the inauguration due to security concerns after the violent riot at the Capitol earlier this month.

I find it confusing that they haven’t already been vetted for such alegencies, before they were allowed to join.

Law enforcement and the military in the U.S. have a largely unaddressed problem with white supremacists in the ranks. I remember when the Obama administration Justice Department prepared a report on right wing extremist groups deemed likely to be involved in future domestic terror attacks. Congressional Republicans went ballistic (metaphorically speaking, of course) claiming that it was a scurrilous attack to equate conservatives with terrorists. I thought it was more telling that Republicans heard there was a report about white supremacists and automatically thought "Hey, they must be talking about us!"

At any rate, it's a known problem which has been neglected until recently. Hopefully that will change going forward.
  • Crœsos wrote: »
    I thought it was more telling that Republicans heard there was a report about white supremacists and automatically thought "Hey, they must be talking about us!"

Kind of like how Trumpites heard the Declaration of Independence being read on NPR (which they have done every July 4 for many years), and thought the litany of the sins of George III must have been an attack on Trump.
  • Also even if vetted when joining, they may have ventured into unacceptable territory since or even since the election.
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    edited January 2021
    Interesting Factoid.
    Twitter bans Trump.
    Reports 70% reduction
    in Fake News.
    Connection?
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    Yessir.
    mousethief wrote: »
    Crœsos wrote: »
    I thought it was more telling that Republicans heard there was a report about white supremacists and automatically thought "Hey, they must be talking about us!"

Kind of like how Trumpites heard the Declaration of Independence being read on NPR (which they have done every July 4 for many years), and thought the litany of the sins of George III must have been an attack on Trump.

Seriously??? ROTFL.
  • A friend just forwarded to me the following tweet (from somebody I don't know):
    I am starting to think Trump and Republicans in Congress are not going to release a health care plan.
  • Golden Key wrote: »

Seriously??? ROTFL.

Snopes has a discussion of it.
  • Hedgehog wrote: »
    Golden Key wrote: »

Seriously??? ROTFL.

Snopes has a discussion of it.

Interesting how they focused on Darren Mills and didn't really talk about the numbers of the butthurt, which they pretty much pass over in a single paragraph.
  • Martin54Martin54 Deckhand, Styx
    Only 2 subversives found in 25,000 troops?!
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    A friend just forwarded to me the following tweet (from somebody I don't know):
    I am starting to think Trump and Republicans in Congress are not going to release a health care plan.

LOL!.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    A friend just forwarded to me the following tweet (from somebody I don't know):

I saw several variations on that, plus tweets last week asking if it was finally going to be infrastructure week.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited January 2021
    Interesting Factoid.
    Twitter bans Trump.
    Reports 70% reduction
    in Fake News.
    Connection?

Poetry politics! I love it! Would you put such a thread in The Circus or here in Purg?
    Martin54 wrote: »

If I was the Americans (all of them at once, like Rose Tyler having looked into the Time Vortex), I would go through their Military and police with a very very wide-tooth comb. The present situation is one that requires a cool head and a generous mindset. You have to be very careful to avoid conducting witch-hunts, like the McCarthyist tragedy. It is not, and should not be illegal to hold fascist or racist views in America. It is and should be illegal to act on those views. If Military folk have acted in breach of their oaths, they must be disciplined or dismissed, but that's all. If they have committed a crime, let the institutions of justice deal with them.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    Interesting Factoid.
    Twitter bans Trump.
    Reports 70% reduction
    in Fake News.
    Connection?

Poetry politics! I love it! Would you put such a thread in The Circus or here in Purg?
    Martin54 wrote: »

If I was the Americans (all of them at once, like Rose Tyler having looked into the Time Vortex), I would go through their Military and police with a very very wide-tooth comb. The present situation is one that requires a cool head and a generous mindset. You have to be very careful to avoid conducting witch-hunts, like the McCarthyist tragedy. It is not, and should not be illegal to hold fascist or racist views in America. It is and should be illegal to act on those views. If Military folk have acted in breach of their oaths, they must be disciplined or dismissed, but that's all. If they have committed a crime, let the institutions of justice deal with them.

I think you mean fine-toothed comb. A wide-toothed comb lets things slip between the teeth.