Today I Consign To Hell -the All Saints version

Comments

• Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited June 2021
    Thanks, everyone, for your kind words and hugs!

It all happened the best part of 25 years ago, but the hurt still surfaces from time to time. I have no doubt that the same applies to women who have miscarried...

I don't attend services at Our Place now, so will not be subjected to the inevitable slush. FatherInCharge means well, but can sometimes seem to be a tad insensitive.
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    Pope JP2, on the other hand, was a tad Pole.
  • Wesley J wrote: »

That was sufficient grounds for keelhauling.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    It was indeed a mega-groan, even by Wesley's standards! :naughty:
    Wesley J wrote: »

That was sufficient grounds for keelhauling.

One of the many adversities he had to endure for speaking out in the Communist Eastern Bloc of the time.
    Piglet wrote: »
    It was indeed a mega-groan, even by Wesley's standards! :naughty:

Sorry.
  • PriscillaPriscilla Shipmate
    I think there are ways of doing mother’s/Father’s Day so as to be inclusive - thanking God for our parents and those who have parented us, and for the way God parents us.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited June 2021
    Priscilla wrote: »
    I think there are ways of doing mother’s/Father’s Day so as to be inclusive - thanking God for our parents and those who have parented us, and for the way God parents us.

I daresay there are, but what about those who have not been so blessed as to have good parents?

Better to let Lent 4 be the Fourth Sunday in Lent, and to forget altogether about St Hallmark's Day.

No harm at all in mentioning mothers/fathers in the prayers on those days, of course.

ISTM that those of us lucky enough to have had Good Parents (I was very lucky in that respect) can give thanks for them, and offer up a prayer for those who didn't.

And for those who want/wanted to be parents, but couldn't/aren't.
  • My wife always finds Mothering Sunday difficult as she did not have an easy time with her own mother. This has always made me sensitive to these two "parent" Sundays. I know that one has nothing to do with the Church calendar and the other has been taken over by commercial interests but I think we do need to mark them in some way as our congregations almost certainly will be doing so, either with joy or grief. I think there are ways do this which aren't sentimental, mawkish or painful and I hope I've managed to do so over the years. There is definitely something to be said for saying that we need to take God as our model for parents rather than modelling our understanding of God on what we may have experienced as children.

As an aside, my general experience of both Mothering Sunday and Fathers' Day has been that it is pointless to organise special "family" services. Children from separated families aren't present because they're spending the day with dad; grown-up children and grandparents aren't present because they're getting together for a family celebration!
  • I received a sympathy card on the death of my father on Saturday - it was postmarked "Don't Forget Father's Day!"

My mother's bill for Dad's funeral arrived with the same postmark.

This didn't upset me, possibly because we had months to prepare for Dad's death; had Dad's death been unexpected I think I would have struggled with the postmark.
    Very minor in The Grand Scheme Of Things, but TICTH the silly bugger who was loudly and tunelessly singing Mull of Kintyre on the bus as I was coming home.

However, I'm feeling charitable, so I'll assume it was playing on his earphones* and he couldn't actually hear himself.

* that's of course assuming he had earphones - he was behind me, and I wasn't minded to turn round and stare!
  • Hospital billing departments First sent a bill that insurance always paid, the bill has a phone number on it that is for questions for the billing dept. I call the number I am told to enter the account number after the 0. There is no 0 on the account number. I put in the number that is on the bill and the voice says invalid and ends call. I try again, call end, 3rd time I get a human who puts me on hold. After on hold with music for 5 minutes, I was told sorry they seem to have our number on their bills but we do not handle those bills let me give you the correct number. What?, Why? Dialed the new number, got a very strange auto message, hung up, and tried again. Success, I am thinking, I spoke to a real live person gave them the name of the insurance company and our policy number. They said Mr. Image did not have an active account with that insurance company. We do. I tried to give them the phone number of the insurance company, they said they do not call insurance companies. So I then called the insurance company's customer service number. Blessing on them they had indeed already paid the bill, they contacted the billing dept of the hospital ( it took them 2 tries as well ) They gave them the date of payment and check number, while I waited on hold. Hospital has no record even though the check was sent over a month ago, but they will look into it. Hospital then called me back telling me to go ahead and pay the bill and they will refund me when they find the check. NO! I do not plan to do that.
    Piglet wrote: »
    Very minor in The Grand Scheme Of Things, but TICTH the silly bugger who was loudly and tunelessly singing Mull of Kintyre on the bus as I was coming home.

However, I'm feeling charitable, so I'll assume it was playing on his earphones* and he couldn't actually hear himself.

* that's of course assuming he had earphones - he was behind me, and I wasn't minded to turn round and stare!

Might it have been Sir Paul himself?

When that song played on the radio in the late 1970ies, and rather endlessly, it was torture enough... - my commiserations!
    Hospital billing departments First sent a bill that insurance always paid, the bill has a phone number on it that is for questions for the billing dept. I call the number I am told to enter the account number after the 0. There is no 0 on the account number. I put in the number that is on the bill and the voice says invalid and ends call. I try again, call end, 3rd time I get a human who puts me on hold. After on hold with music for 5 minutes, I was told sorry they seem to have our number on their bills but we do not handle those bills let me give you the correct number. What?, Why? Dialed the new number, got a very strange auto message, hung up, and tried again. Success, I am thinking, I spoke to a real live person gave them the name of the insurance company and our policy number. They said Mr. Image did not have an active account with that insurance company. We do. I tried to give them the phone number of the insurance company, they said they do not call insurance companies. So I then called the insurance company's customer service number. Blessing on them they had indeed already paid the bill, they contacted the billing dept of the hospital ( it took them 2 tries as well ) They gave them the date of payment and check number, while I waited on hold. Hospital has no record even though the check was sent over a month ago, but they will look into it. Hospital then called me back telling me to go ahead and pay the bill and they will refund me when they find the check. NO! I do not plan to do that.

This is really a pain not just in the neck, but way further down! I'm sorry to hear it! :(
    Wesley J wrote: »
    ... Might it have been Sir Paul himself?
    No - he'd have been in tune. :mrgreen:
    When that song played on the radio in the late 1970ies, and rather endlessly, it was torture enough... - my commiserations!
    I have a confession to make: I bought a copy - it was one of the first singles I bought for myself. I actually quite liked it. :blush:
  • TICTH myself, for having left the Ark's domestic water pump ON (instead of OFF) when I made my weekly Expotition to Tess Coe's this morning.

Result - one overfull tank in the galley, and lots of water spilling over the top into the bilges (below the floor). The Drips were horrible to hear.

This has happened before (mea culpa etc. etc.), so I know what to do to release some of the water from the overfull tank. The excess H2O is being utilised to wash some shirts...

• Do you not have a ballcock (or equivalent sensor)?
  • Do you not have a ballcock (or equivalent sensor)?

Yes, but it sometimes sticks...as it did today (curses).

Some TLC is required, but it seems that plumbers willing to work on the rather cobbled-together systems prevalent on Arks are as rare as truth from Boris Johnson's lips...and all the skilled Polish plumbers have gone back to Poland...(more curses).
  • HelixHelix Heaven Host
    Oh I don't know how to phrase this one but I was shocked to see in a card shop in the UK today - more than 6 months til Christmas - and Christmas cards well advertised at a discount rate - to buy now !!!

Really?
  • Well, at least someone thinks we'll mostly still be alive to celebrate Christmas!
    :grimace:
  • HelixHelix Heaven Host
    Good point @Bishops Finger - i like your optimism.
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    Last year's unsold, and no-one was in the shops to pick them up afterwards.
  • Possibly, but (more seriously) I wonder if someone is thinking that there is likely to be yet another lockdown before winter?

If so, buying stuff now does make sense...sort of.
  • PriscillaPriscilla Shipmate
    Helix wrote: »
    Oh I don't know how to phrase this one but I was shocked to see in a card shop in the UK today - more than 6 months til Christmas - and Christmas cards well advertised at a discount rate - to buy now !!!

Really?

My mother used to buy posh Christmas cards in the January sales. The problem then becomes remembering where you’ve put them come December.

• EigonEigon Shipmate
    We used to have a box of un-used Christmas cards that came out every year before we bought fresh ones - I'm pretty sure there was a card from the 1950s in there that was passed over every year!
  • We have a box of cards we add to as required. We have a couple of Private Eye Christmas cards mocking Tony Blair which have been passed over for the last couple of decades.
  • We have a box of cards we add to as required. We have a couple of Private Eye Christmas cards mocking Tony Blair which have been passed over for the last couple of decades.

Those cards may well be worth a few shillings in Mr E Bay's Online Magical Emporium!
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    TICTH the washing machine repair company.

We were supposed to have the second repair visit, with the replacement main board, two weeks ago. It got put back to today due to the part not arriving. Lo and behold, the engineer came this morning, without the part, and without mention of it on the job notes. He identified that a slug had fried the electrics, but I am still waiting for another nebulous date to fix it, four weeks down the line.
  • I'd be inclined to fire off an email asking to whom you should send your request for payment for having to use a laundry service/laundrette.
  • Grrr.

TICTH the broken hinge on my laptop...

I usually close the lid when not using the thing, to keep away dust etc., but if I now try to do that, Horrible Crunching Noises occur. There are YouTube videos on how to fix the hinge, but they seem to require (a) superhuman eyesight, (b) miniature tools, possessed only by complete geeks, and (c) the patience of Job (which in my case I have not got).

In any case, the first Horrible Crunching Noises were accompanied by various tiny bits of black plastic falling onto the table, and I doubt if any DIY job would compensate for their loss...
  • TICTH the dental practice I was registered with.

My last check-up was cancelled because of the first lockdown. I re-booked, only for that to be cancelled because of the second lockdown; re-booked again only to have that cancelled. I thought I'd managed to re-book for next Friday, only to get a letter informing me that "...since its been more than 18 months since your last check-up you have been de-registered. At the moment we are not taking on new NHS patients". WTAF, you cancelled my appointments. 👹
  • IOW, pay us lots of £££, as a non-NHS patient, and we will welcome you with open arms?
    :angry:
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    I'd be inclined to fire off an email asking to whom you should send your request for payment for having to use a laundry service/laundrette.
    I have got a complaint open. It's my time handwashing, or the MIL's goodwill that's been used.
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    edited June 2021
    She whose parents came over as asylum seekers from Amin's Uganda (I hear) enacting laws next week to transfer asylum seekers to a detention camp in Ruanda to be processed if they have tried to get here by boat.
    If this is what is meant by British Values, someone has lost our moral compass.
    She really is rather evil, isn’t she?
  • What scares me is the thought that she might one day be Prime Minister, of rumpEngland, at any rate...

:scream:
  • TICTH the BBC, for spending 15 minutes of its 30-minute lunchtime TV news talking about the forthcoming England-Germany football match.

1. Many of us live in the devolved nations; these are not England and got much less mention when playing.
    2. There are more important things in life than football, and not even all sports-lovers follow the game.
    3. It was all prediction and atmosphere, i.e not proper news.

And all the schedules are disrupted, what with football and tennis (which people suddenly seem interested in for 50 weeks of each year).
  • It was reported a few days ago that the Brexit-induced lack of fruit-pickers and/or lorry drivers might mean NO STRAWBERRIES AT WIMBLEDON!!!!!!!

This, of course, would be The End Of Civilisation As We Know It, and proof positive that Armageddon is imminent.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    Absolutely agree with Baptist Trainfan.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Aravis wrote: »

Did you not know? Football gives a Lot Of Pleasure to Lots Of People and is therefore Very Important and any and all news time given over to it is Always Perfectly Acceptable.

Personally, I always hoped that once there were dedicated sports telly and radio channels it would all go over there and the rest of us could carry on our lives untouched by other people's hobbies that we happen not to share. Alas not.
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited June 2021
    KarlLB wrote: »
    Did you not know? Football gives a Lot Of Pleasure to Lots Of People and is therefore Very Important and any and all news time given over to it is Always Perfectly Acceptable.
    But this is English football and I live in Wales. (All right, I concede that one or two ex-pats, trapped on the 'wrong' side of the Severn, might have an interest).

• Oh dear. They won. More Of The Same is in the offing.
  • KarlLB wrote: »
    Aravis wrote: »

Personally, I always hoped that once there were dedicated sports telly and radio channels it would all go over there and the rest of us could carry on our lives untouched by other people's hobbies that we happen not to share. Alas not.

Bread and circuses...
    :disappointed:
  • TICTH the contractors who have spent the last n months digging up the roads of our village, scattering temporary traffic lights and road closures like confetti, trashing roads, pavements and grass verges as they pass.

And who thought that Sunday morning was a brilliant time to close off the vehicle entrance to the church car park, church centre and vicarage :rage:

All of which is exacerbated by the fact that they are doing this to install fast fibre broadband - which is not coming down our lane. No one can tell us why, or make any other helpful suggestions, so the 30-odd houses not being covered are abandoned in a digital wasteland. Unless we can all get together and dig our own trenches, I suppose...

:rage:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I feel for people over the sports broadcasts. Now that NZ has again won the America's Cup, and the PM has offered less than they hoped for (but far more than I would have) I am hoping that it can be hosted elsewhere. It's easier to ignore that way.
  • TICTH Bl#*dy DPD. They emailed at 07:49 to inform me my delivery would be delivered in "the one hour time slot 0756-0815".

First up, someone tell these muppets what constitutes an hour; second, how many people are crouched over their emails before 8am??? 😡
  • Helix wrote: »

My local mostly-Polish grocery store has chocolate Advent calendars in stock. I'm not sure if they're left over from last year, or getting an early start on this year.
  • I'm going to be rather uncharitable, and guess that they're last year's (and presumably not dated!).
  • Well, they might say "December 25th"!