Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• Well, who knows? Medical science and research are progressing all the time (at least in some fields), so that what was once a definite death sentence, no questions asked, is not necessarily so now.

Praise be to God - best wishes, 'thoughts and prayers', as they say.

IJ
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Thank you! If nothing else, I have a better sense of things in some ways than before the first diagnosis.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited May 2018
    But that's often the case, is it not? Knowing what's going on is half the battle, even if dealing with it is quite another thing.

IJ
    Yes, although I meant in the sense of knowing what's important to me. But I do like to have as much information as possible (including my odds).
  • Mad CatMad Cat Shipmate Posts: 37
    Ma Mad Cat saw off her second cancer, and was going on well until the one year anniversary. For the last three months, she's been slammed by the psychological aftermath.

This is taking a physical toll not unlike the initial chemo- and radiotherapy. Ma is decidedly one of the Silent Generation (1942 vintage), a child of rationing and carrying on. I think this gave her amazing strength to endure the initial treatment, but leaves her totally ill-equipped for the battle of the mind that comes afterwards. We are currently working to unstiffen her upper lip to the extent that she can frame what's going on for herself, the GP and others.

Props to the Macmillan website, which has brilliant resources on their 'Coping' pages. Frustratingly, their site was down today (apparently there's some data act coming in <eyeroll>) so I wasn't able to show her what I'd found straight away.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited May 2018
    I want to know why cancer nearly always seems to strike good people. Our friend G. in Newfoundland, one of the nicest men you could possibly wish to meet, was diagnosed with cancer a couple of months ago, and I heard yesterday that it's spread to his liver and he's gone into Palliative Care. He's not quite 67.

Fuck cancer. :rage:
    And again I say, fuck cancer - G. died this morning. :cry:
  • PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    Reading and cursing cancer. And prayers for those dealing with all this shit.
    Card
    I like the card.

I've suddenly developed a new problem with my back; it's very hard to stand up straight (or, once I get there, to stay straight). I've been fighting scoliosis since adolescence, but now that the cancer has spread through my spine, it seems to be winning the war. Dammit.

• GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Had breast cancer (mastectomy, chemo and 5 years tamoxifen) in 1996, then a recurrence (right in the middle of the scar!) in 2009 (more surgery, more chemo, radiation and aromasin for 3 years).
    Now it has come up in multiple bone metastases (ribs, vertebrae, sternum, hips, pelvis). But not in brain, liver or lungs so should be thinking, drinking and breathing for the foreseeable future
    Start treatments soon (Ibrance+ letrozole). Drugs approved the other day and hopefully winging their way to my rural idyll as I write.
    Our local hospital now has Oncology (10 min up the hill) so at least will not have 2 1/2 hours travel to Jerusalem followed by 5 hours of drip, drip, drip and the drive back.
    Feel pretty good about it ... international support from all points of the compass and friends in all the organised religions and all along the "Spectrum of Spirituality". As well doctors over here see bone metastases as pretty much a chronic illness now.
    And as a friend said "Do you know how much damage you could do in 10 years?"
    I've had metastases to bones, brain and a lung, Galilit, but not liver (knock on wood).

I was on Ibrance (with twin shots of fosladex every month) for more than a year and a half; it stopped working sometime last fall, so I was switched to tamoxifen. Letrozole could cause some achy joints, but it's a pretty good med.

No surrender!

Yeah going to start Zomera (Bone-strengthening) in a bit too - it was not yet in Public Health Basket back in 2009, but it is now. I was surprised they are using letrozole because I had been on the New Generation (tamoxifen 1996-2001 and aromasin 2010-2013)...but at my age and stage NOW I guess they aren't looking for highly sophisticated estrogen precursor inhibitors ...my ovaries are well-fried! (For something else entirely (appendicitis) they had to take me to their Special Just Newly Acquired Ultrasound to see the poor little things!!)
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    (Galilit)
    I do Zometa quarterly. (It used to be once a month.)

Better living through chemistry!

• PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    C₂H₅OH

Indeed!
  • Galilit
    Oh dear, so sorry to hear of latest problems. All best wishes for up-coming treatments.
    {{{Galilit and Rossweisse}}}

Yet another friend has been diagnosed with cancer, for which he's to have surgery tomorrow. He's only 48.
    Ta, Piglet and Susan Doris...
    Got my hair done "Marines" yesterday after 22 hours of "Oh not this again and they said on the White Paper only 30% of people lose their hair!"
    Feel much better now - scalp is not tingling with that unforgettable sensation
    Lookin' WILD and AMAZONIAN!

• Martin54Martin54 Deckhand, Styx
    Re incurable cancers (or any other acute and terminal condition, for that matter), where continued treatment is unlikely to be efficacious, it may indeed seem that continued prayer is also useless.

Not so, as I really don't think it's wrong, or contrary to the Gospel, to pray for death to come swiftly and peacefully to the person for whom you are concerned.

That also applies to oneself, I think.

IJ
    It's psychologically essential. Whatever gets you through the night.
    Galilit wrote: »
    Ta, Piglet and Susan Doris...
    Got my hair done "Marines" yesterday... Lookin' WILD and AMAZONIAN!

Don't forget to wear a hat when you go out!

edited June 2018
    A really outrageous Hat, if you can find one!

Meanwhile, a lovely, gentle priest of my acquaintance has just been diagnosed with a brain tumour of the nasty glioma type...it's early days yet, and he's on a 'watch-and-wait' regime at the same hospital which looked after me. He's a bit younger than me (about 64), married, with a family back in the US of A, from whence he hails.

As piglet remarks, why do these things happen to Good People? I don't include myself, BTW - I got away very lightly.....

IJ
    These things happen to all kinds of people. Lifestyle sometimes has something to do with (smoking never leads to anything good), but it often seems to be random.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    I wholeheartedly agree with Ross. I've been "lucky" enough to have Stage1 cancer - hopefully all zapped through chemo & radiotherapy + hormone therapy. While others have said "It's so unfair" I've tried never to use those words. It's life. Sometimes life is wonderful, but sometimes it's shit. This is a shit bit for me - but it's not fair/unfair. I don't deserve this/not deserve this any more or less than the next person.
    As I have (almost certainly) observed before, I've long said that if I don't say "Why me?" when good things happen, how can I possibly say "Why me?" when bad things do? And when I had my first diagnosis, I was relieved to realize that I truly believe that.
  • Wise words. Thank you.

IJ
  • I've just heard from a dear lady named B., who heads the Alzheimer's Support Group at our local Community Centre, that her breast cancer has returned.
    :cry:

As if that weren't enough, she also has the beginnings of Alzheimer's herself!
    :rage:

IJ
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    I stopped by the Bookstore Next Door after work today.
    I was charmed to find a line of cancer greeting cards.
    Sample:

Another chemo down.
    Let's celebrate with something that doesn't taste disgusting.

This seemed to be the best place to share that sentiment.
  • LOL!
    Talk about tapping into a potential new market....
    :flushed:

IJ
    I like that, Basso.

Meanwhile, I'm dealing with a more complete spread of the cancer in my spine than I'd realized; my sacrum is, to quote the radiologist's report, "metastatic tissue." It's all very tedious.

Oooooof!
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    Rosswiesse 🙏🕯
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Just back from the hospital with my father who was having a routine test and it is a large tumor that has gone to other organs. Sigh. Was not really wanting to renew my membership in this club quite so soon and so completely.
  • 🕯 sorry to hear that @Lily Pad
    {{{Lily Pad and your dad}}}
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Evil cancer took our Janine from us. Cancer tortured and mutilated her. It is evil and has no redeeming qualities. On Janine's account, and of my friends and family who have suffered or are suffering, I am furiously angry.
  • Janine - RIPARIG.

I know this is Hell, but {{jedijudy, Janine's friends, and family}}.

IJ
  • Oh, Janine.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Oh, no.
    (((LilyPad and father)))

Oh, no - not Janine!
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    I like that, Basso.

Meanwhile, I'm dealing with a more complete spread of the cancer in my spine than I'd realized; my sacrum is, to quote the radiologist's report, "metastatic tissue." It's all very tedious.

What can I say.
    I just found out that I have a fracture in my femur. I'm waiting to find out if it can be treated; meanwhile, I'm being switched to an oral chemotherapy with truly ugly side effects. I'm getting tired.

• Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    So sorry to hear that, Rossweisse. It cannot be easy.
    I've been at it since November 2010. I don't want this to be what I'm remembered for.
    I'm sorry, but we will. Remember you for your sensationally unsensational courage as you walk the valley. Tears, if I may. Mention them.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    I've been at it since November 2010. I don't want this to be what I'm remembered for.

I will remember you both for your many excellent posts back when and for your ability to be yourself in this very bad situation you're dealing with now.

• Dear God, that's nearly 8 years!

Without wishing to take liberties:
    {{{{Rossweisse}}}}

One feisty lady...

IJ
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Martin54 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but we will. Remember you for your sensationally unsensational courage as you walk the valley. Tears, if I may. Mention them.

This.
    edited July 2018
    Amen.

And tears for all with this condition, in whatever form or other (their name is Legion....)

IJ
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    (((Ross))) If it would be at all possible, I'd take your pain.
    Really.
    Judy, I would never let anyone else do that. But thank you all for your meaningful and kind words. (Speaking of tears...)