Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• And prayers from me...
  • Praying for Galilit and all who post here. Mr. Image is now under Hospice care and what a relief. He has been falling a lot lately so from a walker to a wheelchair is a great idea he finally agreed to. They brought in a new wheelchair, and a hospital bed is on the way. He fell again just when we were accepted with Hospice, and although I did call the fire dept for help in getting him up, the nurse was here in 20 minutes to check him over. We both love his charge nurse, and the chaplain visited today. Seems like a nice fellow. Both are male and I think it is good for Mr. Image to have some guys to talk to about the joys of being a veteran and the fun of motorcycles and such. I can not tell you what a relief it is to me to have the support.
  • I'm glad of that.
  • RockyRogerRockyRoger Shipmate
    Prayers of thanks for all especially Mr and Mrs Image. Mrs RR has been told she hasn't got throat/tongue cancer (says the doctor) but something else entirely .... Quite a relief but it's been a worrying and exhausting few weeks.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    You are all in my prayers 🕯
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    @Galilit and Mr Image are in my prayers. That is good news @RockyRoger. My mother went through lots of test when they thought she had some sort of mouth/throat cancer. Turned out to by shingles, I think, though we never got to the bottom of it.
  • HelixHelix Shipmate
    Checking in and wondering how folk are, hoping there is adequate support where needed.
  • RockyRogerRockyRoger Shipmate
    Please pray for A, in our Pilgrims' homegroup, whose husband C, died of cancer this week. Very quickly from diagnosis. Now I learn that L, our lovely next door neighbour, is being investigated with some urgency for bladder/kidney cancer. And for T her husband and their family.
    Lord, have mercy ....
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Praying 🕯
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Went for my six-weekly port flush and blood tests today; all good.
  • SojournerSojourner Shipmate
    👍
  • Good to hear @NicoleMR

Dad had bits sliced out of his arm a week ago. The surgeon's happy with how the op went, the arm is healing up, and we have another 4 weeks (best guess of the surgeon, given histology backlog at the mo) till we find out if the melanoma spread or not.

The Race for Life ads currently on my usual radio station don't really help me with waiting calmly!
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Went up to the oncologist at noon, He thinks my cancer has mutated and wanted me to get a biopsy. Brilliant idea, I thought. (This mutation that my oncologist is thinking of is one that Rossweisse (RIPRIG) had at one point so I knew what he was talking about.) Anyway ... he found Someone who knew Someone in the Big City and it turns out it is an actual operation and I have to go to an actual hospital and have A Little Operation. "What a waste of resources", I said "Why can't I do it on an out-patient basis with a local anesthetic?"

I am so used to living in the Provinces where people know me and so they give me chances and choices and bend the rules for me because they know me and love me. (And others too, I assume.) Not like in the centre of the Empire itself where there are protocols for everything and noone knows who you are or thinks you are in any way special .

It seems I can be a "pirate" no longer. And what with computers and all there is less opportunity for piracy by anyone, including doctors in The Provinces

Just spent 3 hours horizontal and I am now getting used to the idea of having to Be in Hospital for a day or two. If it transpires that this mutation has indeed mutated there is A Pill for it. So that's good.

I have had a good run doing exactly what I like, how I like ... in all aspects of my life ... . And if this biopsy gives me the way to more effective medication ... then I will live longer and better.

So we will start to get that organised on Sunday ...
  • SojournerSojourner Shipmate
    Just saw this: all the best
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Thinking of you @Galilit
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    (((Galilit)))
  • ((( @Galilit ))) Hoping that all goes well.
  • ((( @Galilit ))) Hoping that all goes well.

From the plague ridden corner of the same household, seconding that!
  • Praying that this is all a good thing.
  • I found a Father's Day picture of Mr. image taken a year ago and, compared it with the one our son took today. I was shocked at the change. So heartbreaking. I guess living with him day by day I had not noticed how he had gone done. Good news is he seems in no pain.
  • Six-month check-up today. Lump still there, unchanged.Pills (Anastrozole) have not reduced it, so 'What would you like me to do?' askes the Very nice Consultant. I said I was hoping they would decide! Anyway, decision quickly made: lumpectomy on Monday, 11th July in the afternoon under a local anaesthetic. Home in time for tea!
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    All the best with that @SusanDoris.
  • Hope the lumpectomy goes smoothly @SusanDoris.

Some good news here. Dad had to go back to the hospital with an infection around the biopsy/skin graft site (minor, antibiotics have sorted it), and whilst he was there they gave him the biopsy results. All clear, no cancerous cells found :smiley: Nothing in the lymph node either. So, fingers crossed it was caught in time... Check-up in a week or so, then in 6 months, Mum tells me.
  • Thank you @Cathscats and and @Celtic Knotweed for good wishes; nice to hear about your Dad, Celtic Knotweed.

• Dear brothers and sisters, please pray for SK, a beloved fellow pilgrim, recently diagnosed with cancer. She saw the consultant today and (praise be) it has been caught early. Treatment begins on July 18 with a hysterectomy.
    Pray she will be well enough for our trip to Iona next year.
  • No prayes, of course, from me, @RockyRoger, but all very best wishes for a good surgeon and a successful course of subsequent treatment.

I had my small lump removed yesterday under a local anaesthetic (always thanks to @Galilit for her recommendation for this). Spent about 7 hours in the hospital but all of this except for the 15-20 minutes required for the op, was spent waiting for things to happen, plus answering lists of questions!
    (
    Been awhile since there was any action on this thread; how's everyone doing?

I had my every six week port flush and blood tests today, everything was good.
  • Prayers continue for all of the cancer warriors.
  • PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    Catching up reading and praying.
    Especially thinking of Galilit.

I am sorry for my long absences. I am working much longer due to the joy of Covid.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yay Nichole, news is always welcome

Patdys - Thinking of you and all the other medical and allied staff workings so many hours. I dropped off some chocs at my local pharmacy to acknowledge grace under pressure. I know it's just a token, but apart from that the best I can do is let them get on with it.
  • PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    The little things make a huge difference!
    The health system runs on chocolate :smile:
  • Mr. Image fell today, and I had to call the fire dept to get him up and into bed. It looks like he's standing with his walker days are past and it is now wheel-chair only. His arm is sore this morning but thankfully nothing seriously hurt. He thankfully is ready to admit he needs to give up the walker, he had been fighting with the idea. New rule, if I am out of the house Mr. Image will remain seated at all times.
  • Prayers for you both!
  • PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    Reading and caring
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Prayers for both of you @Graven Image
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Poor Mr Image 🕯
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Good to read your news @NicoleMR and prayers for @Graven Image and Mr Image.
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    Praying for the Images.
  • Adding my prayers as well.
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    Adding my prayers.
  • Thanks all, just learned my friend V has had her cancer return and spread. To hell indeed with this nasty, nasty disease that harms people and distresses those who love them.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    V 🕯
  • Good news from V. scan of rest of her body other around new site are clear. Hope springs forth for round two.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Good news, 🕯!
    Good news indeed.
  • More good news for V. Her surgeon called. She said she met with the Tumor Board/surgical panel and because her first cancer surgery 4 years ago had interocular radiation, they feel she can now have a lumpectomy with external beam radiation. This was good news because at first they had said both breasts would need to be removed. Wish they do not say anything at first sometimes. Thanks for all who prayed.
  • PPost-lumpectomy check-up yesterday. The lump, which was removed on 11th July, was 10 mm was cancer and although he is sure he got it all, they can never be absolutely sure and he is concerned as it has returned a couple of times. He has decided to put me back to Letrozole instead of Anastrozole. However, since there are as far as I know no signs anywhere of the cancer mestastsing (sp?) I just hope it's the heart that gets me in the end!!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    And may that be far in the future, @SusanDoris, good news so far thankfully.
  • Doone wrote: »
    And may that be far in the future, @SusanDoris, good news so far thankfully.
    Thank you. I was talking to one of the Breast Care helpline nurses this morning and asking whether anyone gets given Tamoxifen now, but it seems that Lextrozole, exemestane and anastrozole are the updated and better choices.
  • I'm on anastrozole.