Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• I also think it's age.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    I also think it's age.

My mother was a pathologist who did cancer research. She pointed out that the reason the cancer rate has gone up is because the death rate from other diseases has gone down. Everyone has to die of something. Someone who might have died of heart disease twenty years ago is treated and kept alive long enough to develop cancer.
  • That's very sensible. But how sucky! I have occasionally imagined writing a short story where someone gets the chance to see what their "options" are in terms of a death; you can reject this one (say, a car accident) but then the next one in line is an aneurysm, and so forth.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Moo wrote: »
    I also think it's age.

My mother was a pathologist who did cancer research. She pointed out that the reason the cancer rate has gone up is because the death rate from other diseases has gone down. Everyone has to die of something. Someone who might have died of heart disease twenty years ago is treated and kept alive long enough to develop cancer.
    That's definitely one reason. I suspect that another is all the crappy chemicals in the environment. I'm seeing more and more young women with aggressive breast and ovarian cancers.

Thank you, all, for your support and for your prayers. I shall report the doc's conclusions upon the morrow.

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Sending very loud prayers for positive conclusions.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    That's definitely one reason. I suspect that another is all the crappy chemicals in the environment. I'm seeing more and more young women with aggressive breast and ovarian cancers.

I've said for 25 years I reckon my cancer is from the French government's testing of nuclear weapons in the Pacific Ocean in the mid-1960's. Tons of us kiwi women in that cohort or statistical whatever-you-call it - it can't be coincidence. What could we do - stop drinking school-milk? Stop eating fresh local fish?
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Admin Emeritus
    I was rained on by the Chernobyl cloud. Nothing yet, but, yeah. That.
  • About 25 years before my brain tumour was diagnosed, I was living at a certain boatyard, a few miles downstream from that part of Chatham Naval Dockyard where material contaminated by contact with the nuclear submarines was, in those days, dumped.

One fine morning, I went into my wheelhouse, to see several people dressed in moon-suits, and with Geiger counters in their hands, checking the radioactivity levels of the river bed (the tide was out, I hasten to add).

What are you doing, my Good Men? - said I. Is there Danger?

O no Sir - said they. The levels of radioactivity are normal...

Yes, but 'normal' according to precisely what criteria?

AIUI, my tumour may well have been triggered by higher-than-normal radioactivity levels...
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    That’s terrifying @Bishops Finger!
  • But why are you checking at all, pray tell???
  • Apparently, the checks were carried out periodically, but this was the first time I'd noticed...
    I have good news. Although it didn't help my bones (so far, at least), the improvement in the liver mets is major - they're about 40% smaller. I am one of the fortunate one-third of patients for whom the study drug works, and I am in the study. That should give me another good four to six months, at least. I'll take it. Deo gratias!
  • Good news, Rossweisse. You'd be amazed at how long some of us can hold our breath! I'm not sure if I believe in miracles, but I do believe in good doctors and a God that guides them.
  • Wonderful news, Rossweisse!
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Splendid news, Ross! Good work, orneries! Great research, study drug developers!
  • Thanks for sharing the good news, Rossweisse!
    :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Good news, Rossweisse!! I'm hoping for a good year at least!! We need you for the election!
    The Feline Ministry to the Sick and the Orneries are augmenting the doctors very well, aren't they?!
    edited November 2019
    The FMS is tireless (well, they do sleep a lot, but it's supportive sleep) and the Orneries are on the job 24/7. One of my major goals is to vote next year; this should help me attain that one. Since I had been advised (now it can be told) that I probably wouldn't make it to Christmas, I rejoice in the thought of something as simple as knowing that I'll hear Lessons & Carols from King's College, Cambridge on the morning of Christmas Eve.

• Excellent, Rossweisse! Fantastic!
  • Such good news, Rossweisse! Deo Gratias!
  • RooKRooK Shipmate
    I think death is afraid of Ross, honestly. It's got to be like wrestling a honey badger.
  • RooK wrote: »
    I think death is afraid of Ross, honestly. It's got to be like wrestling a honey badger.

Awesome (and accurate).
    A weasel? Well, whatever it takes to fight off Death until a more appropriate time.
  • Rossweisse, your news makes me rejoice. It seems a bit of a joke that the most loving supportive, caring and kind thread on the ship appear in the hell group. I see that is with thanks very much to you, who often make it so.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    This is excellent news, Ross.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    #teamRossweisse #honeybadgers
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Orneries in the air, honey badgers on the ground, and all of us cheering them on.
  • Good news!
  • Super news - what I thought from what you heard from your informant ... how are you feeling "in general"?
  • Good news indeed - Felines, Orneries (what are they, BTW? Some sort of bird?), and Honey Badgers (I don't think we have them in Ukland), all seem to be working overtime, along with @Rossweisse's Guardian Angel.
    Rossweisse, your news makes me rejoice. It seems a bit of a joke that the most loving supportive, caring and kind thread on the ship appears in the Hell group. I see that is with thanks very much to you, who often make it so.

How true that is, and it just goes to show that Good sometimes comes out of Evil...(I feel a Sermon coming on)...

...but quite why God arranges it thus, only She knows...
    :wink:

• Good news indeed - Felines, Orneries (what are they, BTW? Some sort of bird?) . . . .
    The answer can be found here. :wink:

As for honey badgers, see here, and particularly here (at The Wiki).

• Thank you! All is now clear... :smile:
  • Rossweisse, I apologize I haven't followed this thread, but I'm very glad to read your news. God bless you.
  • Oh, Sir P - this thread is where it all happens!
    And if it doesn't happen ... people comfort you
    Welcome!
  • RooK wrote: »

Truth.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Excellent news, Ross - may flights of Orneries sing around you!
  • Galilit wrote: »
    Oh, Sir P - this thread is where it all happens!
    And if it doesn't happen ... people comfort you
    Welcome!

For as it is written: Heaven for the climate; Hell for the company.
  • AmosAmos Shipmate
    Clocked into Hell with my little smoking candle just for this thread. Glad for every bit of good news. 'Keep your mind in Hell and despair not,' as St Siluoan the Athonite said (and Gillian Rose frequently quotes).
    Bit confused here. I've been having problems keeping food down again, so today I had another endoscopy. According to the nurse (who is great) the cancer is bigger than before - but I thought it had gone? Anyway, they've taken samples for biopsy, and I'll see the oncologist on the 15th to get the results. Puzzling.
    Rossweisse, I apologize I haven't followed this thread, but I'm very glad to read your news. God bless you.
    Thank you, SirP!
    Amos wrote: »
    Clocked into Hell with my little smoking candle just for this thread. Glad for every bit of good news. 'Keep your mind in Hell and despair not,' as St Siluoan the Athonite said (and Gillian Rose frequently quotes).
    Those are words to contemplate. Thank you, Amos.

And thanks to all of you. Best of all, I'm no longer expected to be dead by Christmas! The prayers, the doctors and other Medical Folk, the Orneries, and the Feline Ministry to the Sick are all doing their jobs.

Oh, no, @Robert Armin. That's confusing and upsetting, and it's going to be hard to wait until the 15th. Please know that you are in my daily prayers.
  • Hoorah for the shrinkage of liver yuck, Rossweisse.
    So sorry to hear the puzzling news, Robert Armin. Will be thinking of you.
  • Bit confused here. I've been having problems keeping food down again, so today I had another endoscopy. According to the nurse (who is great) the cancer is bigger than before - but I thought it had gone? Anyway, they've taken samples for biopsy, and I'll see the oncologist on the 15th to get the results. Puzzling.

Prayers, @Robert Armin to accompany you as you travel through the shadows....
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    edited November 2019
    (Robert Armin)
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Bit confused here. I've been having problems keeping food down again, so today I had another endoscopy. According to the nurse (who is great) the cancer is bigger than before - but I thought it had gone? Anyway, they've taken samples for biopsy, and I'll see the oncologist on the 15th to get the results. Puzzling.

That sounds frustrating! I find it puzzling that the nurse even said anything, but different protocols may be in place. In any case, I'm thinking the best of good things for you as hard as I can.
  • Prayers Robert Armin for good news, and prayers for peace as you wait.
  • Robert Armin <votive>
    (a proper one not a t-light)
    Thank you all
  • Ruth wrote: »

That sounds frustrating! I find it puzzling that the nurse even said anything, but different protocols may be in place. In any case, I'm thinking the best of good things for you as hard as I can.

Yes, I found the nurse's remark rather odd, too.

Yet more <candles> for you, Robert.