Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• I met Rosseweisse once when business brought her to New York City. We had lunch, and it was a lovely occasion. What struck me was her intensity. Later, when she was first diagnosed with cancer, we exchanged a series of PMs, in which that same intensity came through. I will miss seeing her on the ship greatly.
  • She was such a cheerleader for me when Mr. Image was having his cancer bout. Her shining inspiration of kind care for others will stay with me forever. I am amazed at how sad I feel to lose from this world someone who I had never met. Yet still, we had met in a special ship sailing way and I believe that I am a better person for having done so. Thank you Rosseweisse, you will not be forgotten.
  • 🕯Praying that the end will be what @Rossweisse hoped it would be, as per the conversation we had on the ‘end of life care’ thread in August. She did get to vote, one of the things she hoped for.

🕯 🕯 🕯 May our Lord embrace and hold her.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    I had the opportunity to meet her when she visited San Francisco. We met at Grace Cathedral, and shared lunch afterwards. Nicole's mention of her intensity is spot on.
    When she told us that she wouldn't be able to sing any more, I told her about a time when I had lost my voice for a few months. I said that it was like waking up without a limb. It was exactly the right thing to say at the time, and I'm glad I found those words.
    I'm glad to have known her, and hope her journey is peaceful.

• I've just come back from sitting with her. She is still sleeping, and her breathing has not gotten worse. Both kitties are curled up with her, though I had to discourage Aida from walking across her middle.
  • GwaiGwai Epiphanies Host
    As a writer and editor who also loves language and has strong opinions about them, I have always appreciated that side of @Rossweisse . I have always known her to be one for a good turn of phrase who was willing to use words to fight for her opinions but was a very caring person.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Thank you, LC, for joining your ministry to the sick to that of the feline one.
  • AmosAmos Shipmate
    Thank you, Lamb Chopped. Thank you, thank you. And for the image of the cats cuddled up to a sleeping Valkrie.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Lamb Chopped, my heartfelt thanks for your attendance, lovingkindness, and faithful care, as well as for keeping us informed. May some watchful Eye in the universe note, in an equally loving Heart, your presence -- comforting to Rossweisse and also to those of us who cannot be there. Bless you and thank you.
  • KyzylKyzyl Shipmate Posts: 23
    Ross and I “met” waaaay back on the Episcopal discussion boards on AOL in the late 90s. Via dial up modem no less. Then I moved off AOL and lost contact. Lo and behold one day I see a name on SoF and thought, “there couldn’t be two?” and we met again.
  • I met Rossweisse initially through her role as host of Via Media on the old Ship. We tried to get it going again on the new Ship but it failed to gain momentum, except for a thread where Ross and I (and occasionally others) compared notes on what our respective choirs had been singing that week. I never met her in person, but I will miss her virtual presence.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    @Rossweisse was one of the people I clashed with most in Hell, back when I first discovered it a couple decades and a lifetime ago. We were natural enemies: my misanthropic anti-religious snark offended her loving religious insight. But her fiercely calm intensity was a joy to interact with, and she was one of the Denizens who helped me craft my better-balanced humanism that I cherish today.

I sought her out, a few years ago, to check in on her. My intent was to understand her point of view of things that were happening on the Ship, and to be supportive about her neverending honeybadger-like enduring of cancer. Except she ended up being a very important confidant for me to lean on during my separation and divorce.

I will be forever grateful for all of it. #teamrossweisse
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I always appreciated that when Ross said she would like to be a Hell Host she was given a place. she expressed herself clearly an forcefully in that role. I will miss her brilliant use of words.
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    edited November 2020
    This morning Ross is sleeping peacefully with two cats very intensely keeping her company. (Aida smacked Beatrice in the face with her tail--I think it was an accident, but who knows? It didn't disturb Ross, though.) Nothing has changed, and her feet are still warm. They say they will text me when the time comes.
  • Thank you, Lamb Chopped.
  • 🕯 🕯 🕯
  • 🕯 🕯 🕯
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Thank you, @Lamb Chopped 🕯
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Thank you again, LC. Holding Ross in love and prayer. Lovely to hear about the kitties too.
  • AmosAmos Shipmate
    Prayers continuing to ascend. Lovely to hear about the cats.
  • HelixHelix Shipmate
    peaceful thoughts.
  • Peace, ease and the comfort of cats be with you R.
  • Holding Ross in the warmth and light of God's love 🕯
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    This Thanksgiving Day, I am very thankful for LC's faithful ministry to both Rossweisse and to us. I'm also very thankful for the life and witness of Rossweisse in so many ways to so many of us.
  • I remembered earlier that Rossweisse posted a brief autobiography in the Nativity programme thread on the old ship. The summary of her career is just so inimitable.

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000001
  • Thank you for sharing that, Pendragon. I love Angel 6's biography.

I somehow didn't follow the Nativity Play 18 years ago. I was on the Ship, but 2002 was a rough year, going through a messy divorce. That was my first Christmas without the creep, and the Nativity Play would have been fun. (I know I've read some wonderful excerpts over the years.) I think this will be perfect reading for a quarantine Christmas!
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Pendragon wrote: »
    I remembered earlier that Rossweisse posted a brief autobiography in the Nativity programme thread on the old ship. The summary of her career is just so inimitable.

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000001

Thank you for that. And the others in the production as well - not many still around at the scuttling of the Old Ship and even fewer made it safely to the decks of the New. All of them missed.
  • Musing here... Isn't it a bit odd that we are gathering here, praying for and celebrating the awesome Valkyrie Rossweisse in the Ship's Hell? Perhaps we need a Valhalla, for that is surely where she is heading.
  • This board was lately her stage, and this thread especially. So while it's exceedingly odd, it's also very apt.
  • May flights of angels sing her to her rest.

I'm in hospital overnight it's looking like. I've been tired and having problems breathing; it turns out I've got two litres of fluid on my right lung. Once that's drained I should feel a lot better.

How are you doing? Did they get your lung taken care of???
  • Prayers ascending ...
  • Praying for Rossweisse, for Galilit, and Robert Armin.
  • Prayers continuing.
  • Prayers
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    Continuing prayer.
  • Prayers from here in Tacoma, Washington, U.S.A.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    And continuing from West Lothian. <votive>
  • Prayers continuing for all.
  • May flights of angels sing her to her rest.

I'm in hospital overnight it's looking like. I've been tired and having problems breathing; it turns out I've got two litres of fluid on my right lung. Once that's drained I should feel a lot better.

How are you doing? Did they get your lung taken care of???

They took the tube out this morning! Having seen how much liquid came out, I can see why breathing was tricky. Hopefully I'll bounce back soon now. And I've just been told I can go home this afternoon. Great news.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    That's good news @Robert Armin . Hope you feel much better very soon.
  • AgsAgs Shipmate Posts: 23
    Good news @Robert Armin . Hope your breathing remains much easier.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited November 2020
    Glad to hear it, @Robert Armin!
  • Good news, Robert Armin.
    Prayers for Ross
    And for myself having completed drug-cycle #33
  • Prayers for @Robert Armin and @Galilit.

To me, @Rossweisse has always been here, and to me, she always will be here.
  • Pendragon wrote: »
    I remembered earlier that Rossweisse posted a brief autobiography in the Nativity programme thread on the old ship. The summary of her career is just so inimitable.

Thank you @Pendragon , and thank you @Lamb Chopped for your updates.

The vigil continues. May @Rossweisse hear the song of the angels as she is carried on their wings into paradise.
  • Good news, @Robert Armin !

Prayer continuing.
  • AmosAmos Shipmate
    edited November 2020
    Watching and praying. Out of the depths have we called to thee, O Lord.
    For the Valkrie @Rossweisse, LC, her family, Beatrice & Aida; for @Robert Armin , @Galilit.
  • Prayers for @Robert Armin and Ross. You’re both incredible
  • For @Rossweisse , a glass of red will be raised to you this evening. I hope you like my choice, probably a chianti.
    @Robert Armin , hope you are now home, and feeling heaps better.
    @Galilit, thinking of you.
    For all the post in this thread and need our prayers.
  • @ Robert Armin, prayers that the healing may continue.