Birthdays and other anniversaries and significant dates

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I'm sure they were! :heart:
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Strong in the Force, Nick is!
    Thank you, Piglet!
    Blessings on you Cathscats as you remember your dear parents!
  • Tennis God Roger Federer is 40 today 🍾🎂
    Crikey - and still playing at the top level! Time was when the oldies' matches started at over 35!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    My oldest brother is 70 tomorrow, he is in care as he has Parkinsons and this will be the first time since he's been there that I won't be going to see him. I feel bad about not going, but the weather throughout the country has been horrible with snow to low levels, roads closed and power cuts. It brightened up a bit today, but the effort feels overwhelming. I have booked to go in November when it's warmer.

I did see him in February, and am seriously thinking that I may only travel during the summer months as the bus service in Wellington is diabolical.
  • Today marks the founding of The Smithson Trust, the people behind the Smithsonian Museum.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    (Huia) happy birthday to your brother.
  • Happy 60th Birthday to James O'Donnell, Organist & Master of the Choristers at Westminster Abbey.
    edited August 2021
    Indeed - a musician and a gentleman. He's younger than I imagined - only six months older than me.

He's been at the Abbey for over 20 years; when the post became vacant and we were speculating (as you do) on who would get the job, I remember David saying it was likely that whoever got it would have a coronation to arrange. Having said that, with HM still apparently going strong, she might see James into retirement ...
    Today would have been Lothlorien's birthday. :cry:
    Happy birthday in Heaven, Loth! :heartbreak:
    Thinking of Loth.
  • Remembering dear @Lothlorien.
  • Much missed. I was off the Ship at the time of her death and had not had contact in some time. I found out years ago that a cousin of hers ( who she strongly resembled) had taught me at the gulag in the mid 60s.

A strange world indeed.
  • Another one here still missing Lothlorien.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Thanks MaryLouise.

I miss Loth too.

According to Radio NZ today is Winnie-The-Pooh's birthday - and also Christopher Robin's. There was a delightful man being interviewed who shared my childhood favouritism towards Piglet, though as an adult I have developed a soft spot for Eeyore.
    Happy birthday, Pooh!

From a fan of your little porcine friend. :)
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    I believe today is St Bartholomew's Day and a Big Birthday for our own @Bishops Finger . I hope I'm right. Many happy returns and may you have a great day filled with your favourite things (PIE and BEER spring to mind). :smile:
  • Why, thank you @Nenya! Well remembered!

Yes, 70 today, and just off to Pilates...PIE and BEER may well follow, at lunch-time...
    :grin:
    Phew! Glad I got that right! I hope the Pilates is enjoyable; the PIE and BEER also. I'll raise a glass of wine in your honour later!
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    Happy Birthday, Bishop's Finger!!
  • And also my late Uncle Bart, born on this day 1926. My grandmother unwisely made a vow to name him after the saint if the day ( she had Louis in mind) but he arrived on the 24th despite her mother’s prayers that the baby would stay put for a bit longer😂
    What would have happened if he'd been a girl? Louis can become Louise but Bartholomew...?
  • Happy birthday, BF!
  • Happy, Happy Birthday, @Bishops Finger!
  • Thank you, all! I survived Pilates, and am currently quaffing BEER.

PIE (or possibly Lasagne) will be consumed later, as will a Wee Dram of Glenlivet...
    :wink:
    Lasagne? Is outrage!
  • No, no - Is Delicious!
    :wink:
    :smiley:

I was trying to think of ways to incorporate some of your other catchphrases in the post - "Let The Reader Understand" and the like.

Glad the birthday lasagne is Delicious, and the sun's out for you as well. :smile:
  • 🦛 🐥 2️⃣ 🐑, @Bishops Finger
    Many happy returns, BF, and here's to many more!

A glass of Sauvignon Blanc will be raised in your honour if I ever get home (see TICTH).

🍷
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Happy birthday, @Bishops Finger 🎉🎊!
    I'll be on red this evening and raising my glass in a toast shortly. :smile:
  • Happy Birthday @Bishops Finger
  • Happy birthday Bishops Finger!

(I see WorminTheGrass beat me to hippo birdie.)
  • Happy Birthday @Bishops Finger
  • HelixHelix Shipmate
    aw happy big birthday and toasting you to your next decade - and then some!
  • Happy birthday Bishops Finger!
  • Well, thank you once again, one and all!

I shall soon retire to my berth, but before doing so will have that Wee Dram of Glenlivet.

Slainte!🥃
    Happy birthday a bit late, @Bishops Finger !
  • I turned 54 on August 25!
  • A belated Happy Birthday, @ChastMastr! Good to hear from you!
    Belated birthday wishes here too, @ChastMastr !
    Belated happy birthday @ChastMastr !
  • Happy Birthday @ChastMastr
    Happy birthday, CM!
  • Happy birthday Chastmastr
  • Thank you all!! <3
    Two years ago today I lost David, my soulmate and best friend. :heartbreak:
  • Hugs to @Piglet. A death date is always a tough day. I hope you have company to help you through.