Birthdays and other anniversaries and significant dates

Comments

• Rick Wakeman is 72 today, oh Yes!
  • Today is the 3rd wedding anniversary of the Duke & Duchess of Sussex.
  • Today is that generally accepted as the date of the death of the Venerable Bede.
  • Happy Birthday to ME. June 1
  • Happy, happy birthday, @Pearl B4 Swine!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Happy Birthday!
  • Happy Birthday :cookie: (nearest thing to a cake is a cookie) - have a great day @Pearl B4 Swine
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Many happy returns, PB4S! 🍸🍰
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Happy birthday, PB4S!

And on a more wistful note, today is my late father's birthday. He would have been 97. :heart:
  • Lyda wrote: »
    Happy birthday, PB4S!

And on a more wistful note, today is my late father's birthday. He would have been 97. :heart:

I'm catching up, Lyda - next year, if I make it, will be a big one. Big for me, anyway. Say: I think the snowflake making is changed some. Lots of SOF'ers had a great time with that. Yours were always wonderful. Thank you for the hap.bir.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Happy belated birthday, Pearlie of the amazing snowflakes!
  • Master S will be 40 tomorrow!

40 - how on earth can that be?
    Happy birthday Master S!

When David turned 40, his mum said being a granny wasn't nearly as old-making as having a son who was 40! :mrgreen:
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Happy birthdays to @Pearl B4 Swine and to Master S!
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Happy birthday to me.
    It was a triple birthday on Ye Olde Shippe -- happy birthday also to Pants and Jenny Ann. Not sure if they're both here or not.
  • Happy Birthday to @basso, @Pants and @JennyAnn - who did all register and have been seen occasionally (even in real Zoom).
  • PantsPants Shipmate
    Indeed they are seen!! Happy birthday to my birthday triplets @basso and @JennyAnn !!
    Many happy returns to all of you! :)
  • On this day in 1876 Lieutenant-Colonel George Custer and a large detachment of troops of the US 7th Cavalry were surrounded and killed by a combined force of Lakita and Cheyenne Native Americans near the Little Bighorn River in the Crow Reservation.
  • TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    Today is the anniversary of the introduction of the 999 emergency 'phone number in the UK, the first such service in the world.
    It's also Canada Day - wishing a good one to all our Canadian Shippies!
    Today would have been our 33rd wedding anniversary. :heartbreak:
  • {{{Piglet}}}
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    🕯
    (((Piglet)))
  • @Piglet I hope it wasn't too painful.
    It was OK actually - I met up with an old friend for lunch, and had a very nice dinner with my sister in the evening.

I also managed to go past the Cathedral without suffering spontaneous eye leakage - although I didn't have the nerve to go in.
  • Today is St Swithun's Day 🌨🌧
    It is indeed, and the sun's been splitting the trees in Embra all day. :smiley:
  • Happy Birthday Prince George, 8 today 🎂
    Which reminds me - it's also eight years today since my father-in-law died.

RIP Len.
  • Harry Potter is 32 today! Happy Birthday Daniel Radcliffe 🎂
  • Today is the 20th anniversary of my joining the Ship of Fools. Golly!
    Gosh - congratulations Mousethief! :)
  • Happy Shipiversary, @mousethief!

• Mick Jagger is 78 today, Helen Mirren is 76. The difference between the lizard lookalike Stones frontman and the thespian dame would seem obvious - moisturiser 😂
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    Happy Shipiversary, mousethief!
    Mousethief coolers all round!
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    Also, does Helen Mirren smoke? Because Jagger certainly did, even if he doesn't now, and that dries and wrinkles skin.

Happy Shipiversary @mousethief
  • edited July 2021
    1 year ago today a kind nurse sent me home for 3 hours to sleep while my daughter and her partner sat with my papa - Covid rules relaxed if palliative. I returned, set up a zoom call to 3 continents and he died within 10 minutes. 11 years to the day of my mother who died ignominiously while I travelled hours. His death created some symmetry and positivity only because we see the poetry of it.

It was difficult retrieving the ashes from the funeral home - they keep them for up to year. We're discussing now that it will be 2 years before we can be together.

The 2 deaths, my mind compresses the 11 years separating them as of they're simultaneous.

But it's also 2 days before one of my children was randomly attacked and nearly murdered a decade ago (yes, it was that, before). I can't cry too much about the deaths or I shall turn also to anger too and I can't afford my own murderous rage.

Perhaps it's too much sharing?. Though there's quite a lot more than this too. I think we're not accorded happiness and blessings and that God just watches: hands off. Or maybe there are chosen people who get that sort of divine attention. I'm accorded reality, understanding and a few kind people. Including here. That's it.
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    My sympathies and prayers for you in your grief, NOprophet-N0profit. I lost my parents 10 years apart, both before I was 40. I felt like an orphan.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Prayers from me as well, @NOprophet_NØprofit. Peace be with you 🕯
    {{{NP}}}
  • Prayers from me too, NP.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    I am thinking of you @NOprophet_NØprofit . Every time I read or think of your experiences I never know what to say. Apart from "Sh*t. That's incomprehensibly horrendous."
  • Mick Jagger is 78 today, Helen Mirren is 76. The difference between the lizard lookalike Stones frontman and the thespian dame would seem obvious - moisturiser 😂
    Plus no smoking, one hopes
    Sometime in August (today perhaps?) I am celebrating my 20th year on this magnificent Ship of Fools!
    Where did the time go?
  • Glad you’re here we are!
    I see what you did there, Nick! :mrgreen:

Happy Shipiversary, JJ!
  • Today would have been my parents’ diamond anniversary. In fact they only had 17 years together as my father died young, but I hope they are celebrating in heaven.