Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Birthdays and other anniversaries and significant dates

Comments

• Happy Birthday - hope the boat trip is fun.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Happy birthday, Mrs. S!
  • Remembering the people who died at the World Trade Centre, Pentagon and on flight 93.
  • Yesterday was my parents' 58th wedding anniversary.
  • Remembering the people who died at the World Trade Centre, Pentagon and on flight 93.

17 years and it still hurts.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited September 2018
    Many happy returns, Mrs. S - a difficult day to have a birthday.

Thinking of those killed and injured 17 years ago.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Today, 19th of September is the 125th Anniversary of Women's Suffrage in NZ. 💔🎈🎇🎆. I am taking a white camellia to my M. P's Office as I do every year on this date. I don't altogether support her party, but she is a brilliant electorate M.P and has a high profile in the area.
    Brava, Huia!
  • This coming Sunday, 9/23/18 will be the day hubby and I mark as our 45th anniversary, the day we knew we were “an item”. Mind you that was indeed 1973, and gay marriage was only a fond wish. Times have changed, and we’ve now totaled five ceremonies to affirm the commitment. (greedy, no?)

A private little exchange of rings whilst on a picnic the following Spring.

Then, while living in New York City and long before such was authorized, our Rector surprising us by joining our hands with his stole and blessing during a house blessing of our new apartment.

A subsequent move took us to Vermont, which approved Civil Unions in 2001. So we had a formal ceremony in our parish there, Eucharist, organist, reception and all.

Then a neighboring state authorized real marriage -- another ceremony, this time on friends’ front porch. (But, odd as it may sound, it was only then recognized as marriage in that state, so we were “Civil Unionists (?)” at home, and married in the other state.)

And then, when Vermont finally authorized marriage, another ceremony on our very own back porch. (We’d hope we could just fill out paperwork and get an automatic upgrade, but the State insisted another ceremony was in order.)

And finally, the Supreme Court made matters simple, and we’re legit wherever we go. (Whew!)

One particularly fun thing in all this celebrating: our Rector in 2001, then a divorced woman, officiated at our Civil Union. She subsequently remarried, and asked me, by then ordained, to officiate at the that ceremony. Her new hubby was a Justice of the Peace, so he did our final (and last -- those license fees impact the budget!) marriage ceremony.

Do, please, laugh with us at the wonder of God’s love and marvelous sense of humor that indeed “all will be well."

(And yes, this was indeed another of my signature wordy/sermon long posts!)
  • What a wonderful story, BabyWombat! I'm so glad that we've made some progress in marriage equality. Congratulations five times over!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    That is amazing Baby Wombat. The last lot of paperwork should have been free in recognition for how long you had waited for justice to prevail.
    Congratulations BabyWombat and hubby! :)
    Bravi, BabyWombat and spouse!
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Happy birthday, Mrs S!
  • That's a wonderful story, @BabyWombat - congratulations on your 45 years together.
  • Congratulations Baby Wombat and spouse!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Today is Parihaka day - the anniversary of the day when around 1500 volunteers and Armed Constabulary invaded the peaceful village of Parihaka. They were met by 200 small boys dancing and around 200 girls skipping. They were offered food. They plundered the village, raped some of the women and arrested some of the men, notably the Prophets Te Whiti O Rongpai and Tohu, who were arrested and imprisoned without trial for about 18 months in various parts of the South Island, where they did hard manual labour.

Despite the violence of the invaders, the reaction of the Villagers was peaceful. When surveying pegs were put in , the response was to plough the ground, hence the protesters were known as "the Ploughmen"

The reason Parihaka was invaded was that Settlers wanted the land.

Today the small settlement of Parihaka hosts people who are interested in learning about it's testimony of Peace.

( Historians, or anyone from Aotearoa/ NZ please feel free to correct me if I've made any mistakes).
  • Thank you for posting this, Huia. I know little history of your land.
    Thank you, Huia. I know only the bare bones of the history.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Not surprising people from overseas don't know much about New Zealand history, but shamefully people here don't either. This wasn't taught in school when I was a child, but my brother -6 years younger- learnt about it in the 6th form and now there is even a picture book about it.

On Sunday I went to see a film about contemporary children from Parihaka visiting the places were their tipuna (ancestors) were imprisoned. It was very moving.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Can you believe it has been sixteen years since Molly died? I remember it like it was yesterday. :cry:
  • Thank you for the reminder. I read all the related posts at Christmas time.
    Has it really? Thank you for the reminder.
  • Happy birthday.
  • balaam wrote: »
    :lol: :joy: :lol:

If I had ever known that I was born on the Feast of the Ass, I had forgotten it. And I can’t imagine I’d ever forget that.

So much is explained.

Happy birthday to both gentlemen! :smiley:
    Happy birthday to you both!
  • Thanks, y’all!
  • Just had yet another birthday on the 15th and my young granddaughter tells me that I am now very, very, very, very, very, very old. Sigh!!!!
    Many happy returns, Rhubarb! :)
  • Happy belated birthdays to @rhubarb @balaam and @Nick Tamen
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Happy belated birthdays to @rhubarb @balaam and @Nick Tamen

If we add @jedijudy to the list we have 4 ship birthdays in 3 days.
  • balaam wrote: »
    Happy belated birthdays to @rhubarb @balaam and @Nick Tamen

If we add @jedijudy to the list we have 4 ship birthdays in 3 days.
    Happy Birthday week to my fellow mid-January celebrants! I'll lift a cup to each of you. :wink:

Happy birthdays, one and all! :smiley:
    Motherboard and I have ours tomorrow.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    Motherboard and I have ours tomorrow.
    Happy Birthday Eve!
  • Happy Birthday, especially to Motherboard and Rossweisse.
    Thank you!
  • Happy birthday both!
    Actually, I think tomorrow is the Birthday Quartet! :)
    And thank you for the birthday wishes! :blush:
  • jedijudy wrote: »
    Actually, I think tomorrow is the Birthday Quartet! :)
    And will you be singing that? I know Motherboard and Rossweisse are both singers.

• FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I’ll just mime the words.

I dutifully went to my t’ai chi class this morning, as it is well known that half an hour of oriental hand waving is enough to counterbalance quite a lot of cake.
    Happy birdie to Ross, Firenze, Motherboard and JJ! :smiley:
    And a far off Happy Birthday to Marmot!
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    And will you be singing that?

I will make your day by not singing! :lol:

• Happy birthday to Motherboard, Firenze, Rossweisse and jedijudy
    Happy birthday, Firenze and jedijudy!
  • Hippo birdie two ewes!!