Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    May orneries sing, may diagnoses be accurate and hopeful, may futures expand, may the wisdom at the eternal heart of all being guide and comfort us.
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Ohher wrote: »
    May orneries sing, may diagnoses be accurate and hopeful, may futures expand, may the wisdom at the eternal heart of all being guide and comfort us.

This
  • Ohher wrote: »

Seconding this.
  • And thirding, with love to Rossweisse.
  • And 4th-ing
  • TinaTina Shipmate Posts: 42
    Amen.
    Do you ever have days where you're fed up? Nothing wrong here, but I feel like a whinge.
  • Yes. Whinge away - it's better out than in!
    :wink:
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    edited February 2020
    Yes, I had *plans* for this stage in my life. (And the money and free time to implement them!)
    I'm tired, aching, lonely and it's raining. Fuck it all.
  • Send us the rain - we love rain!
    Aching and tired - I have my own, thanks all the same
    Lonely - well that comes and goes wherever, whenever and however I am; so I don't really count it
  • Robert Armin, I'm stuck inside most days. Feel free to pm anytime and tell me a story. Don't ever feel lonely when you've got the Ship unless, of course, you are lonely for something that can't be. :)
  • Yeah, bored to tears and not enough energy to do much about it ...
    Most days my diagnosis feels absurd, and I reckon the quacks must have made a mistake. Today feels different.
  • Tomorrow will - I hope - be a Better Day for you.
  • Most days my diagnosis feels absurd, and I reckon the quacks must have made a mistake. Today feels different.

That's how it seems to work. It's exactly seven years since I got the diagnosis and I've never had a bad day that I can blame on the cancer - not one. The treatment, though, and the side effects and side effects of side effects, sometimes make the wreck of the Titanic look quite sprightly by comparison with my body. OK - so I'm having a bad day, too. Can we meet for a beer?
  • Prayers for all here. Take care.
    Most days my diagnosis feels absurd, and I reckon the quacks must have made a mistake. Today feels different.

That's how it seems to work. It's exactly seven years since I got the diagnosis and I've never had a bad day that I can blame on the cancer - not one. The treatment, though, and the side effects and side effects of side effects, sometimes make the wreck of the Titanic look quite sprightly by comparison with my body. OK - so I'm having a bad day, too. Can we meet for a beer?

Where are you?
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited February 2020
    Sounds as if he might be propping up a bar somewhere!

• Doc TorDoc Tor Admin Emeritus
    edited February 2020
    A (very gentle) hostly reminder that personal information as to A/S/L isn't for the public boards...

DT
    HH

[ Fixed Admin coding - TRIPLE POINTS ]
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    ((( @Robert Armin )))
    ((( ThunderMum )))

I'm doing better with every day that I'm past my hospital stay. The orneries are singing again. Today I was up in a chair virtually all day, for all but about ten minutes this afternoon. Thank you for your prayers!

On Sunday afternoon my oncologist called to check on me. He, like others, was assuming that I'd be in hospice almost immediately, and wanted to confirm that I was planning to cancel my appointments for the day. But I happened to ask him about my liver numbers, and he enthused that they were great, down much, much lower, that the cancer was clearly responding to treatment.

"Then why are we talking about hospice?" I asked him. "If the treatment is working, shouldn't we just continue with it?"

It's about quality-of-life issues, he replied. But this particular treatment doesn't have any really horrible side effects, I pointed out. Why can't I stay on it?

You can, he said. Great, I said. I'll see you tomorrow.

And so I did. (I just have to make myself drink plenty of fluids over the next couple of days, and I think I'll get through it all right.)
  • On we go ...
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Hooray for those orneries! Prayers continuing, Ross.
  • (((((( @Rossweisse )))))) Keep on with those orneries!
    @Rossweisse, you're a star! Well done for taking some control back, and it's great to hear some better news.

Later this morning I will be taking N's cremation; her memorial service is on Saturday. I'm not looking forward to it. She was a good friend, who made me laugh, and who leaves three teenage kids as well as husband and parents, all of whom are in bits. It's only three months since she was diagnosed. With cancer.
  • Prayers for you, @Robert Armin. That's a tough gig.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Prayers from me as well.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    {{{RA, N's family and Ross}}}
    edited February 2020
    Amen.

@Robert Armin - hope the funeral went as well as could be expected (you know what I mean).

Do you have someone handy to minister to you now, though? People sometimes forget (bless 'em) how draining a funeral can be for the minister presiding, especially if the deceased was a personal friend.
  • Catching up on recent posts. No prayers as usual, but thoughts and all best wishes for all.
    The cremation went as well as it could, thank you. I felt totally inadequate, but bumped into N's inlaws afterwards who thanked me for what I'd said. Maybe they were being polite, but it was exactly what I needed to hear.
  • {{{{{{ @Robert Armin }}}}}}
  • ((( @Robert Armin )))

@Rossweisse keep on keepin' on!
    I'm having problems keeping food down. This leaves me tired and hungry. I'm fed up.
  • Blood tests fine - I can carry on with the meds!!
  • You are all in my daily prayers.
    ((( @Robert Armin )))
    ((( @Galilit )))

I am slowly growing accustomed to having 24/7 care. I miss knowing where any given thing is in my kitchen, but at least I'm still at home - and will be, by God, for as long as I have any say!

• Rossweisse. Prayers that the extra care may give you extra energy to do what you enjoy, even if you can not find the cork screw.
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Think of it as delegation - that's what we do (in our house). Having help means the household work that I no longer do doesn't fall on My Partner and also that we can devote even more time/effort to my special needs and he can also Do his Own Thing
    Rossweisse. Prayers that the extra care may give you extra energy to do what you enjoy, even if you can not find the cork screw.

Amen!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    How's she going to do what she enjoys if she can't find the corkscrew?

:mrgreen:
  • MrsBeakyMrsBeaky Shipmate
    Rossweisse. Prayers that the extra care may give you extra energy to do what you enjoy, even if you can not find the cork screw.

Amen!
  • SO many terrible jokes come to mind...
  • Hang in there Ross - I've been talking to a friend who does robots. We think we can come up with a voice activated device that will respond to your command, select the appropriate bottle, distinguish between cork and screw top, serve it in the appropriate glass, and then automatically send out for fresh supplies when stocks are low. We shall call it the Rossbot.
    Friends took me out to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants this evening - without an aide. It was quite wonderful. But I know it's generally necessary, and I am growing accustomed to it.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    I'm sure it's irksome, but I'm glad you have in-home help. Though if they're misplacing the cork screw, that's not just compromising your quality of life. It's a violation of the Geneva Conventions!
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    Had the last of the annual check ups today. This one with the gynaecologist/ surgeon. She is happy with progress in general. So we'll just keep on keeping on.
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    Yay for you, Dormouse! And I'm happy for Ross's dinner out.
    edited March 2020
    Has @Rossweisse actually said in so many words that the Corkscrew could not be found?

I have a feeling that The Mysterious Mystery Of The Disappearing Corkscrew is about to become one of the Ship's legends...

Meanwhile, I recall (whilst in hospital back in 2016) watching an interesting documentary on TV about cork forests in Portugal.

AIUI, the trees are 'harvested' of their bark for the purposes of making corks for WINE bottles, and the 'farmers' were anxious that we in Ukland (and other countries) should try to buy WINE in bottles with proper corks.

@Rossweisse is clearly Doing Her Bit to maintain this industry (which, of course, uses renewable materials). I therefore recommend her example to other Shipmates, and echo the spirit of the words of St Paul to drink WINE for the sake of one's health, and well-being.

*hic*
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Hurray Ross for a dinner out! It's important to have a taste of ornery normal now and then!