Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    @goperryrevs That's unbearably sad. My sympathies to you and your friends.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Oh, @goperryrevs, I am so sorry. May his memory be a blessing.
  • @goperryrevs , How tragic for all who knew and loved him. May they come to feel at peace I pray.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Oh no, @goperryrevs. 🕯🕯🕯
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    Praying for the teenage boy and Ross and all here.
  • cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    @Rossweisse What's the news on your latest scan?
    It's good news, thank you! The liver mets are at least stable, and probably improved. There are a couple of bone spots that may be worse, but that's not life-threatening. I will have a treatment on Monday!
  • Thank you, thank you, Lord.
  • Great News. Thanksgivings ascending.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Amen! Yay for the good news!
  • cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    Glory to God for the good news!
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Hallelujah! Hooray, Ross!
  • Praise the Lord! Hope treat goes well on Monday.
  • Treatment! If there’s a treat afterwards, I hope that’s good too!
    Ah, fear not, @WormInTheGrass - There Will Be Wine!
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    Good news indeed, Rossweisse!

MMM
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Yippee!
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    And I'm making sure that @Robert Armin comes along for the ride as well!

Thank you for that. I've had a week's holiday from the Ship, as I wasn't coping with it, but I'm delighted you're still here now I've come back.
    Oh, and yesterday was exactly six months since I was given a prognosis of six months. Funnily enough the team are delighted to be told they were wrong, which doesn't often happen.
    edited May 2020
    So glad they were wrong, @Robert Armin! May they be very, very wrong, and may you prove them wrong for a long time!

• Congratulations to Robert Armin and Rossweisse.
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Super news from both Ross and Robert Armin!
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    Hallelujahs for Rossweisse's and Robert Armin's good news!
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Hurray for the good news for both @Rossweisse and @Robert Armin . May there be free flowing wine, or whatever else takes your fancy.
  • :yipee: :yipee: :yipee:
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Hooray 🎊🎉💫!
  • GwaiGwai Epiphanies Host
    edited May 2020
    I generally read this thread quietly but that is worth breaking silence to rejoice about!
    Oh, and yesterday was exactly six months since I was given a prognosis of six months. Funnily enough the team are delighted to be told they were wrong, which doesn't often happen.
    Yes, my oncologist - who told me I'd be dead before the end of April, and that "It's possible that we could have a conversation on May 1, but I'd be very surprised" - was equally delighted when I called and wished him a happy May Day.

I need to be here to vote in November! (Actually, I need to be here when a coronavirus vaccine is approved, so that I can have the music I want at my memorial service, but one step at a time.)

Yes, I need Corona to go before I can consider dying. In all modesty, I need a large funeral!
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Me too! We have the prettiest little cemetery on the shore of the Sea of Galilee and I have picked a good spot near a friend's grave ...
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yes, I need Corona to go before I can consider dying. In all modesty, I need a large funeral!

Of course you do. There will be a Ship full of Orneries who are there in spirit.
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    You all are hilarious! Seriously! :)
  • One thing I discovered ages ago was that if you put enough effort into planning your own funeral, the cancer will go away, just to spite you.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Mum's plan for her funeral had a list of hymns, with a note that she did not want Amazing Grace - "That darn Grace keeps popping up everywhere."

It had obviously been a favourite amongst her friends.
    My husband plays taps as part of the honor guard that does veteran's funerals around here. One day the minister of the moment based his sermon around "Amazing Grace" and my husband couldn't resist playing it on his trumpet, it and one other song are his two daily practice songs that he's gotten really good at. They were all moved to tears and now everyone has to have it at every funeral. I've told him I want him to play his other practice song at my funeral, "Tangerine."
    edited May 2020
    Huia wrote: »
    Mum's plan for her funeral had a list of hymns, with a note that she did not want Amazing Grace - "That darn Grace keeps popping up everywhere."
    I have a similar list, and my list likewise says “Amazing Grace” is not permitted.

From time to time, I’ve thought sharing the hymns shipmates would like—and perhaps forbid on threat of haunting—at their funerals might make an interesting thread.

And “Tangerine” sounds awesome, @Twilight. :lol:

The Pater wanted a piper at his service, and gave instructions that s/he should play Scots laments - "but not "Amazing Grace"! (The piper was just fine with that.) I don't want it at mine, either.

#1 with a bullet for my personal "do not use on pain of haunting" list is "On Eagles' Wings." Ick, ech, barf me out the back door, and I will haunt you.
    One of the hymns I want at mine is associated with cheesy altar calls.

Just as I am, though tossed about
    With many a conflict, many a doubt,
    Fightings and fears within, without,
    O Lamb of God, I come.

Says it all, to my mind. And the other verses are great too.
  • That hymn (for some odd reason known only to God, and His Saints) always reminds me of My Old Mum, though I don't think we sang it at her funeral...

ION, I keep getting adverts on my email page for 'Funeral Planing Services' (yes, that is the speeling). Makes me think one is expected to make one's own coffin, and make it nicely, or else...

ION, I keep getting adverts on my email page for 'Funeral Planing Services' (yes, that is the speeling). Makes me think one is expected to make one's own coffin, and make it nicely, or else...

Presumably The Old Rugged Cross isn't allowed?
  • edited May 2020
    Twilight wrote: »
    I've told him I want him to play his other practice song at my funeral, "Tangerine."

This one? Can I come? :smiley: (last a couple of decades more and I'll learn the Paul Desmond alto part).
    edited May 2020
    Yes, Mark, that's the one, You can come. I'd like to have some on sing the lyrics too.

Robert, I love "Just as I Am." The first time I heard it, it was sung by Willie Nelson on his "The Red Headed Stranger," album.
  • RooKRooK Shipmate
    I expect "My Pet Coelacanth" to be played at nigh-ear-damaging volumes during my wake. As is right and correct.
    Last night I had an Incident: I was getting ready for bed when I suddenly, abruptly, had to sit down. Once seated (on said bed, conveniently), I collapsed onto my left side. I tried to talk, and I knew what I was trying to say, but my aide thought the babble meant that I was having a stroke, and wanted to take me immediately to the ER.

When I recovered (I told her, "I was just speaking in tongues!" but she didn't get it), I called my internist's practice partner; she considered that it might have been a TIA, but agreed that it was probably due to my being extremely anemic, which can cause dangerously low blood pressure. She further agreed that the Germ Farm is not a good place for people like me, so said that I could go to bed if I promised to call an ambulance if it happened again. It didn't, so I didn't.

It was frightening, though; a stroke/TIA was a possibility that had frankly never occurred to me. You think you have everything covered, but...
  • Glad you seem to have recovered..I agree it must have been frightening for you and your aide. Now get mad at Trump and raise that blood pressure, I am sure that would be easy.
    Praise the Lord @Rossweisse! You've been baptised in the Spirit!

Seriously though, that sounds scary. Prayers ascending.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited May 2020
    Amen.

When they were telling me about the dangers of my brain surgery, back in 2016, the consultant went through the possible side-effects of the operation...

1. Death - OK, thought I, that's nothing to worry about...
    2. A Stroke - Ah, thought I, now that is something to worry about...

There was other, less drastic, stuff, but those were the two biggies.

TBTG, I suffered neither.

So sorry about The Incident, Ross. How frightening. I'm sorry about the anemia, too. I was severely anemic when I was pregnant many years ago and I still remember the inexpressible fatigue. It was worse than no energy it was like negative energy. I would sit on the couch thinking, in a few minutes I'm going to have to get up and go to the bathroom, and tears would roll down my cheeks in self pity.
    I’m sure that was frightening, Ross. Here’s hoping that The Incident can be remembered as The Isolated Incident.

• RooKRooK Shipmate
    Ross seems to be going for the absolute full spectrum of human experiences.