Birthdays and other anniversaries and significant dates

Comments

• LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Ramadan kareem.
  • Its 6 years since my other half died. We've learned to cope with the nuts-and-bolts of life but the aching void is still there.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    {{{TheOrganist and your family}}}
  • Thank you, Piglet. the 19th was also the anniversary for my friend J, another organist with twins. I have thought we might become romantically involved but she seems to have acquired a chap (she refers to him as her 'walker') who is a good quarter century younger than me :confounded:
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Today is World Turtle Day. If you're following the prayer thread or the Animal Companions thread you know that has special resonance with me this year. So happy Turtle Day all, hug your turtle today!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Today marks the celebration of the tenth wedding anniversary of Daughter-Unit and her Dear Hubby! :smiley: <3

How did ten years pass so quickly??
  • Congratulations to them.
    Congratulations, Daughter Unit and DH. :heart:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Today I am 65. This means I get free public transport between 9 am and 3pm and Government superannuation. While I'm grateful for the Super it seems unfair that the rate is way beyond other single people living alone who are not employed.

It also means I have to get used to being paid less, and fortnightly, rather than weekly, which will mean I have to be more aware of when I pay bills and take the fat'n'fluffy one for her 3 monthly vet visits.

I fear it may be a steep learning curve.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Happy birthday, Huia!
    Many happy returns, Huia! :smiley:
    When I started working on this side of the Pond, it took me a while to get used to the idea of being paid fortnightly rather than monthly, although at least as I was paid every other Thursday, there wasn't the trauma of the five-week month* that I'd been used to in the UK.

* or, occasionally six-week - the university I worked in in Belfast closed for the week between Christmas and New Year, and we'd get paid on the nearest Thursday to Christmas Eve. Depending on how the calendar fell, we might have six weeks between then and January's salary. As if one wasn't poor enough in January as it is ...
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Thanks Basso.

I remember something similar when I was at Teachers' College Piglet - though budgeting wasn't as difficult then for me as I handed over 6 weeks of board to Mum in a lump sum, and she was a brilliant budgeter.

I do remember that one year the first thing I did after that was to buy the Lord of the Rings in hardback. Life was definitely simpler then, but it's much more interesting now.
  • Happy birthday, Huia. I remember when I started teaching there was a double pay at the beginning of Christmas holidays and then nothing for what seemed like ages. Public holidays lengthened the time too. We were usually at the beach and pay came by cheque in mail. Another hassle, finding a bank. So glad cheques are basically not used now. At least not down here.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    edited May 2018
    Mrs B and I celebrate our Golden Wedding anniversary on 31 May. We'll be away together at a favourite place in the UK on the day, then having a family celebration in a few weeks when we can 'capture' the extended family. Such a blessing. I'm a very fortunate man!
    Indeed, you are, B62!!
    Blessings on you and Mrs. B and your family! <3
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Happy (belated) birthday, Huia!

Happy Major Wedding Anniversary, Barnabas62!
    Congratulations, B62 and Mrs. B62 - that's quite an achievement these days! :smiley:
  • neandergirlneandergirl Shipmate
    edited May 2018
    Yay! Happy! Happy! Belatedly wishing you much joy, Huia!
    Yay! Mr and Mrs B62 - what a milestone!
  • Mrs M and I are both 60 this year. It's also our 40th on 1st July (cue redoing our vows) and lunch with all the Misses M's and Junior M's.
  • Congratulations to you and your wife, EM.
    Congratulations indeed - you're 10 years and a day ahead of us!
  • Congratulations to the !Marks! That's quite a milestone!
    Congratulations to the EMarks!
  • Thanks everyone -- quiet service in a village church followed by family lunch. We don't go in for big parties just enjoy being with those closest to us to celebrate a special day
  • Thanks everyone -- quiet service in a village church followed by family lunch. We don't go in for big parties just enjoy being with those closest to us to celebrate a special day

Sounds just right to me.

• Lothlorien wrote: »
    Thanks everyone -- quiet service in a village church followed by family lunch. We don't go in for big parties just enjoy being with those closest to us to celebrate a special day

Sounds just right to me.
    It will be interesting as grandson aged 7 walks Mrs M up the aisle. We'll also have a very active 16 month old to have fun with

Mrs M and I are both 60 this year. It's also our 40th on 1st July (cue redoing our vows) and lunch with all the Misses M's and Junior M's.

Excellent! Have a wonderful celebration.

Wishing all the Canadian Shippies a happy Canada Day! :smile:
    Yes, happy Canada Day!

Thirty years ago today, D. and I plighted our troth. :heart:
  • Congrats, Piglet and D.! Ms. Tamen and I will hit that 30-year mark in 3 1/2 months.
    Congratulations in advance! :)
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Happy US Independence Day!
    Indeed - wishing all the American Shippies a jolly day! :)
  • edited July 2018
    9 years since my mother died. I don't much mention it any more to people in my life: so here, instead. I also don't talk of that within 2 weeks of her's, the death of my best friend. Such overwhelms, and then we had 7 years ago at this same hot and sunny summer time, a terrible crime against one of our's which didn't kill, but a piece of me died, and wanted to exchange life for not happened. Hasn't been reborn, paradise is not regained. Trauma of the living overwhelms the trauma of the dead. It's a shit month July. Though turning white from the black. White being a quiet wintry colour in the pictures my mind paints. I was sorry that my father didn't let us see her before she died and that all we got was ashes and a throw-together funeral in another country. And I was sorry not to continue to talk with my friend which we'd made a date for it, but he'd died before we had the chance. "I listen for returning feet and voices at the door". I was sorry that I couldn't convince God to spare a child and take me. Which is ridiculous, but such does extremity. I seem to have preferred winter for these past years, the cold kind, the kind without Christmas, somewhere in mid-late January, where comforted by being a man of snow.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Tomorrow is International Chess Day. Caissa is the Goddess of chess.
    {{{NP}}}
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    (((Np)))
  • ((Np)) 🕯
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Today is the 8th anniversary of the first big earthquake to hit Christchurch and the Canterbury region. I knew when I woke up the date was significant - just couldn't think of why.

I'm glad I didn't know that night how many more were to come, and the damage they are the aftershocks would cause.

I also didn't realise I would end up comforting and being comforted by complete strangers whom I had never see before or since.
  • Today is Cap'n Simon's birthday. Extra RUM rations all round are in order.
  • Happy birthday to him.
  • neandergirlneandergirl Shipmate
    edited September 2018
    For those remembering the big quake today.

And a Happy birthday to Skipper Simon, also known for shaking things up.
    Happy birthday, Captain, Sir!
    Many happy returns, Captain! :smile:
    Happy birthday, Simon!

• Thanks for the birthday good wishes... very kind of you!
  • It's my birthday today!

The weather is not very special, particularly if you were planning a boat trip (!) but it's not TS Florence, so I'm glad of that.
  • Happy Birthday!