Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• KyzylKyzyl Shipmate
    Thanks to all for the hugs and thoughts. It's been quite a hit the past few weeks. My uni students are keeping me occupied!
  • Hope that no news is good news. Prayers continue for all on this thread.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Indeed, 🕯
  • Martin54Martin54 Deckhand, Styx
    Sorry for not visiting more often.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Admin Emeritus
    Just returned from I's funeral. Please remember his family and friends in your prayers. Honestly we could all do with them. The only bright spot was actually being able to attend the funeral, and the wake, in person.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    For I, for all who loved him, and for yourself @Doc Tor.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Prayers from me, @Doc Tor 😢
  • Praying. @DocTor, I am glad you were able to attend and be a ministry of presence.
  • My step-son’s cancer has returned, in the lymph nodes near to the previous site. He will start chemo in two weeks’ time, for nine weeks. At the moment his partner is almost incapacitated by labyrinthitis, a side effect of Covid. They have a seven year old daughter.
    No relatives live near, and we are not especially close. Mr Puzzler is saying very little - not unusual, and he has his own health issues, so we are not in a position to be much help.
    I find it difficult to raise the subject if he doesn’t want to talk, and as a step parent I am not in direct contact with the young family.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    That’s so tough on you all, @Puzzler 🕯
  • Thanks, Doone.
  • @Puzzler, This disease is a difficult one for all. I am sure you are doing the best you can, by just supporting his father with his own health issues. Prayers for your family.
  • Thank you, Graven Image, much appreciated.
  • Hope-full prayers from a fellow traveller for Puzzler and step-son.
    ((@Puzzler, step-son and family))
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Thinking of the family of @Doc Tor 's I and for @Puzzler 's step-son and family. What a grim situation. May there be comfort for you and support alongside the young family.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    SiL has been given prognosis of months.
  • {{{Firenze}}}

A cricketing acquaintance of mine, and good friend of mutual friends, is in palliative care in Scotland - what his doc thought was gallstones just before Christmas turned out to be bowel cancer that had spread to his liver, and the prognosis was months rather than years. He's now in a hospice and it sounds as though he has days left. Just 44.

My employer is trying to create the next generation of cancer drugs, but it's not fast enough for so many...
  • Such sad news, prayers for you and yours Sandemaniac, Firenze, Puzzler and Doc Tor.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Prayers for you all 🕯
    ((@Firenze and SIL))

((@Sandemaniac and friend))
    edited February 2022
    Praying in my foxhole. 'Lord, I lift up @Doc Tor, @Puzzler, @Firenze, @Sandemaniac and their loved ones'.
    I read God all the notifications out loud in between visits and will report. Should be weekly shouldn't it : ) At least. Visiting the sick and all.
  • My lifelong friend Peter (from university days) has just died of pancreatic cancer. Lucid till the end.
    Deepest sympathy, @Galilit. Prayers for the repose of Peter's soul and for all who loved him to be comforted.
  • I'm so sorry! Praying for you and those who love him.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Praying 🕯
  • @Galilit, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. May all who loved and knew him find peace.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    It's so very hard when such long-time friends die - sometimes it can feel worse than when family does. Our deep sympathy for you.
  • Prayers for all the lost and grieving.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    My granddaughter's maternal grandfather just found out he has esophageal cancer. He was treated for lung cancer a few years ago and has told his daughters that he refuses to have chemo again and just wants nature to take its course.

I'm just devastated for all of them.
  • My acquaintance died this morning, peacefully, with his family round him.

Forty fucking four. What a shit of a disease.

It's the cricket club dinner in a shade over two hours. I think those of us who knew him may be getting very troshed indeed.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    🕯
  • I'm very sorry for your, and their, loss.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I'm so sorry, Sandemaniac.
  • Funeral tomorrow for my friend Dorothy who has died after an agonising brief struggle with aggressive pancreatic cancer. We will sing her to heaven. She was quite a lady. Rest in peace Dorothy.
  • (*Dorothy*)
    edited February 2022
    For Dorothy and all who loved her, including yourself @rhubarb
  • Prayers for Dorothy and all who knew her.

I went to the surgeon for a checkup yesterday, All is well. I go back in six months (August) and have to schedule a mammogram for April.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Great news Nicole!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Excellent @NicoleMR!
  • Good to hear Nicole.
  • Glad your news is good, @NicoleMR.
  • Marvellous news, Nicole!
    Happy to hear this, @NicoleMR!
  • Great news, Nicole!
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Great news @NicoleMR