ā€ŗ
Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• DooneDoone Shipmate
    Good news, @Galilit!
    šŸ•ÆJ
  • Thank you for sharing your encouraging news @Galilit. Prayers for all who posted and for those who wait in silence.
  • Thats great Galilit!

I had my third Taxol infusion today and am still wide awake at 4:00 AM, presumably due to the steroids in the infusion. Oh well. Spending the night at my daughters because I don't have to work Wednesday.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    (@Galilit )
    (@Firenze, J and your brother)
    ( @NicoleMR)
  • šŸ•Ž (@Galilit, thanksgiving for a little good news )
    šŸ•Æ(@Firenze, for support and encouragement for J and your brother )
    šŸ™šŸ¼ ( @NicoleMR, for a better sleep tomorrow )

• This morning we heard that a dear friend who goes back a long way with us had been admitted to a hospice with terminal cancer, and is not expected to be there long. This evening we heard that a more recent friend from the YMCA had just died of cancer.

I had been looking for, and at last just found a source for a favourite quote from Abraham Lincoln on how humour can sometimes help us to get through this stuff:

ā€˜Well,ā€™ he said, ā€˜letā€™s have another chapter (of Artemus Ward),ā€™... ...he threw his book down, heaved a sigh, and said: ā€˜Gentlemen, why donā€™t you laugh? With the fearful strain that is upon me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die, and you need this medicine as much as I do.'

Eight years ago when I had to deal with this thing myself, one of the first things I did after terrifying myself with googling melanoma, was to look up cancer jokes. It worked.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Your friends and their families, @Stercus Tauri šŸ•Æ
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Latest on J not good. On high dosage of morphine.

Really should have been investigated last Easter, but lockdown...

Sorry to hear this @Firenze.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    (((Firenze and J)))
  • So sorry Firenze, prayers for you and J.
  • Prayers for Firenze, and J.
  • Had my fourth Taxol infusion today, still feeling good. Four down, eight to go,

And I'm pretty sure my hair is starting to grow back!
    Good news @NicoleMR!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Excellent, @NicoleMR!
  • Keep your spirits up Nicole ...
  • Happy news Nicole. Prayers continue.
    Mr. Image is feeling better, visits for physical therapy are helping. I think some of it is just getting visits from someone that is not his wife or going to a doctor's appt. We will see his oncologist next month to check in. Isolation is not good for the mind and spirit, even though the dog and I are very charming.
  • Good to hear good news @NicoleMR and @Graven Image .
  • Isolation is not good for the mind and spirit, even though the dog and I are very charming.

Of course you are!
  • Thanks guys! Good news Graven Image.
  • Had the annual social call aka check-up at the cancer centre today. Among the oncologist's questions:

- Have you started smoking yet?
    - Drinking?
    - Watching Netflix?

I don't think he's very worried about me any longer. There's other stuff to deal with, but not the cancer.
  • Well, that is good to hear. šŸ™‚
  • And again I had my Taxol infusion today. Five down, seven to go. Still no major problems, just a side effect of, how shall I say this, on occasion needing to get to the bathroom really quickly.

Pleased to hear your news, Stercus Tauri.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Good to have this news, @NicoleMR and @Stercus Tauri .
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Yes, good news and pray it continues šŸ•Æ
  • Good News is encouraging to all. Thanks for the share, prayers continue.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Hope things continue to go well @NicoleMR
    I had an email today to tell me that someone I used to volunteer with in London has died of ovarian cancer. Last time I saw her in May she was being so upbeat about it all. Rest in peace F.
  • Sometimes you just don't know how to process this stuff. I got away with it after being told I probably wouldn't, and this morning a friend, same age, (see prayer thread) died. In the words of donald trump, it's not fair!
  • It never is.
  • I am surprised after my markers went DOWN to feel the charcteristic pain of brandĀ new lesions a month or so later - oh well that is theĀ nature of theĀ beast. And my last PET-CT scan did mention some minor New Areas of Concern in my left femur? hip?.

Though I also have some intriguingĀ pelvic pain in a very interestingĀ spot (whereĀ babiesĀ come out) and I thought "How interestingĀ I didn't know thereĀ was a bone there..." so IĀ googled up "x-ray pelvis" and there is but it is in two parts - left and right- with a g a p in the very middle which I assumeĀ  e x p a n d sĀ  to letĀ  the babies out.Ā 

I am so glad there are nowĀ scans or I would have to expose myself to "further indignities". And I can draw a picture now ifĀ theĀ oncologistĀ asksĀ me specificĀ questions. (Probably my oncologist is pleased about scans in theseĀ modernĀ times too. After all heĀ didn't sign up forĀ gynecology for a reason)

Yesterday's new painkillers are doing a goodĀ job and last night I thought I must have been imagining the terrifying pains of thisĀ past week and a bit but woke up in moderate pain this morning ... so I wasn't. I imagine it willĀ come and go at varyingĀ intensities over time - like my other Areas of Concern in my ribs front and back.Ā 

I have got the paperwork done to do a genetic test to see if I have the mutation that The Newest Drug here focuses on. In the meantime I am not that worrried as my tumors are all still skeletal (not in important soft internal organs).

But it is still a bit sad really ...
  • PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    In relation to Netflix, the oncologist may be looking for recommendationsā€¦ ongoing reading and caring
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    edited October 2021
    Holding @Galilit in prayer. I sometime think itā€™s just as well God knows our aliases as some of my prayers for shippies would sound odd to anyone else.
    Oh @Galilit, so sorry to hear about the pain and uncertainty, prayers streaming out.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    And from me šŸ•Æ
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    No - It bloody well isn't ST.

I'm having a tantrum because I thought I found a lump in my breast on Thursday night when I was in the shower. My doctor has Friday off and Monday is a public holiday. I've had other lumps - a needle biopsy, a lump cut out, and one caused by an insect bite, but not at the actual site of the bite. All have been benign (if something that affects your sanity for several weeks can be called benign).

I'm not even certain its there. It could just be scar tissue, and if it is I will feel like a drama Queen - but I still need to know.

• If you keep on pressing it you'll get a bruise, Huia, and then it will hurt as well ... so work on the patience
    (Voice of experience!)
  • (((Galilit)))
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I want to apologise. When I responded to Stercus Tauri's post I thought it was the final one on the thread - it wasn't which meant that my post totally ignored other news that people had posted. I feel like the idiot I am for not responding to other people's posts. It's not that I don't care it's that I'm stupid and probably too self involved.
  • Sorry to hear the bad news on the thread, from @Stercus Tauri, @Galilit and @Huia - you're entitled to be worried, it's really difficult not to be.
  • To all, my best care and prayers.
    @Cathscats, Indeed God knows all our names. I am sure that at times
    God is amused by our blind knowledge. Yet still, like you, I trust God knows and honors our deep care for those we hold in our hearts and prayers.
  • Huia wrote: Ā»
    I want to apologise. When I responded to Stercus Tauri's post I thought it was the final one on the thread - it wasn't which meant that my post totally ignored other news that people had posted. I feel like the idiot I am for not responding to other people's posts. It's not that I don't care it's that I'm stupid and probably too self involved.

Apologise? In Hell? This is where it all happens, to all of us, and if not to us, to our friends. This place is exactly what you used it for. Let there be more tantrums here.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Thanks ST. When I realised I hadn't acknowledged other people's posts I just got into a spiral of feeling guilty. Even in Hell I like to acknowledge people ,especially on this thread.
  • ((Huia))
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Everyone on this thread šŸ•Æ
  • Had my chemo today again. Six down, six to go, halfway there! Still no problems.

Prayers for everyone, especially those who are having a harder time with it than I am.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Go Nichole - I hope the rest of the series remain trouble free.

In my mind my GP was meant to say, "Of course its not a lump, its just scar tissue" she didn't. I have a diagnostic mammogram and scan booked for November 8. It's at a place that I have been to before and all the staff were lovely, so that takes some of the load of my mind.

In between now and then I'm going to visit my brother in Wellington, so that will keep my mind occupied.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Huia - very best wishes from us.
  • Good luck Huia. Prayers.
  • praying.
  • Well done, Nicole
    Good luck, Huia. Most of them turn out to ne NOT (statistically)

PS Got my pain under control and adjusted my daily routines accordingly.