Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    They're much appreciated, whether they're actually called prayers or not.

D. still sedated, although they were talking about trying to wake him. Whenever they reduced the sedation, he seems to "wake up with a vengeance" as one of the nurses put it, and try to move his arms. He managed to get the nasal tube (which he hated) out yesterday, which was Not What They Wanted ...

I'm still very worried; he's really very ill.
  • Our arms and our prayers around you both, Piglet.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Piglet - prayers for D and for you from the deepest antipodes.
  • Prayers Piglet, for both of you.
    Have you got an MP3 player and headphones he could have on while sedated? Something soothing like a Vierne Symphonie or two might help? Just a thought.
  • You and D are in my prayers, Piglet.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Prayers for you and D Piglet. The music idea seems a good one. My brother brought himself some noise cancelling headphones before his operation. Not sure how much he's been using them. He's also a musician, but a jazz bassist rather than an organist.
  • Piglet and D 🕯
  • My mum's appointment is happening right now. I can't help feeling that if it were good news I'd have heard something.
  • ThunderBunkThunderBunk Shipmate
    edited September 2019
    My mum's appointment is happening right now. I can't help feeling that if it were good news I'd have heard something.

She does have breast cancer. Mastectomy scheduled for 28 October. The wait, O God, the wait.....

ETA she is 76 years old, which I know affects things but still.....
  • Thunderbunk and mother 🕯
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Shit Thunderbunk, that sucks. Thinking of your mum and the rest of your family - and the waiting.

I don't know how your system works, but is it possible for her to say she could be ready earlier if a last minute cancellation occurs? I do know that has happened here, but your system may differ.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    (((Piglet and D)))
    (((Thunderbunk and mum)))
    Prayers ascending for all with this rotten disease.
    Prayers ascending for you and your mum, Thunderbunk.
    Prayers Piglet, for both of you.
    Have you got an MP3 player and headphones he could have on while sedated?
    Funny you should mention that - someone suggested something like that earlier today. D. had a couple of strokes overnight, and they're going to try and wake him and monitor his reactions to see what the damage to his brain is.

As if cancer didn't suck quite enough ...

• Oh Piglet, prayers and cyber hugs for you both. Thunder bunk prayers of calm patience for you but hurried results for your Mom. Just love and care as always to all on this thread of hell. I must say if this is indeed hell it surely is filled with love and care.
  • I am so sorry for all the suckiness!
  • @Piglet I can barely believe how horrible this is turning out to be. Prayers for you both.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    (ThunderBunk and mum)

(Piglet and D)

(Everyone else posting here)
  • Oh, Piglet! Prayers and (((hugs))) from here.
    @ThunderBank, prayers for your mum, and your whole family.
    @Piglet, you and D have been much in my thoughts and prayers. Hope today brings better news.
  • @Piglet lifting you and D in my prayers.
    @ThunderBunk I think if your Mum were really critical they would have had her in theatre earlier - at least I have seen that done here, though I know the NHS doesn't work quite the same way in every place. Saying she will take a cancellation, is often a good idea.
  • !!! Words fail. My hopes and wishes for strength and healing for all.
  • Oh Piglet! Thoughts and prayers for you both.

Have you a close lean-on friend handy? D is unaware but you need someone to pour you a drink, provide a shoulder, etc - now is not the time for a stiff upper lip.
  • Piglet and her D.
  • Thunderbunk and Mum
    Thanks all.

Things no better - they've taken him off the sedation but he's not responding to stimuli.

Waiting for advice from doctor.
    Oh @Piglet. As @TheOrganist sad I hope you have some very good support at this worrying time. Sending you all the virtual hugs and Gin I can.
  • Thank you for your solidarity. It's the loss of control she feels most keenly. Control freakery being rather the family sport....
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Candles for all, but especially TB and P.
  • Hugs to everyone, especially Thunderbunk and Piglet and Ross.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Piglet and D
    ThunderBunk and mum
    Rossweisse

Lord, in your mercy...
  • @Piglet hugs prayers and upholding for you both.
  • Oh Lord! 🕯🕯🕯
  • Adding my prayers for all
  • And mine
    My prayers are constant, especially for Piglet and D, and Thunderbunk and mum.

Damn you, cancer.

This article from the Guardian sort of sums it all up; it is long but heartbreaking and very true. I have been given most of the drugs she mentions. The worst was adriamycin: It worked, but at great cost.

• Prayers for all, but especially for Thunderbunks mum and Piglet's D. This is indeed fuckety duck.
  • Prayers for Piglet, D, ThunderBunk's mum, Rossweisse, all the other posting and praying here. Lord, in your mercy...
  • Reading and praying
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    This article from the Guardian sort of sums it all up; it is long but heartbreaking and very true. I have been given most of the drugs she mentions. The worst was adriamycin: It worked, but at great cost.

Reading it, I thought of you. But a double mastectomy as outpatient - beyond belief.
    Yes, at least I got to spend one night in hospital for that one! My original lumpectomy was outpatient, though. Insurance companies aren't in it to help people; they're in it to make money.

Thanks all.

The stroke damaged the brain-stem; there was no hope of recovery and they took him off the ventilator and he died peacefully at 7:30 this evening.

Fucking cancer. :cry:
  • Oh Piglet! I am so, so sorry!!

Prayers for you, and may he be welcomed and held in the live that nothing can overcome.
  • So sorry Piglet. Prayers for all who are affected by this horrible disease.
  • Oh, Piglet. I'm so sorry. Prayers ascending, which is all I can do at the moment. Raging won't help, but more than that is beyond me right now.
    Oh, Piglet, this is heartbreaking. May he rest in peace and rise in glory, and may his memory be a blessing.
  • Oh Piglet... no words... prayers and love...
  • I am so very sorry. Praying...
  • Piglet I am so very sorry. All the joy you gave people with your music making together. Prayers ascending.
  • I'm so very sorry Piglet