Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Praying for you right now, @Robert Armin <votive>
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Holding you in hope, RA. Holding all here in hope.
  • Quietly listening and waiting.
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Hearing the doctor say that this morning was a bit of a shock, but the fat lady hasn't sung yet!
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    ((Robert Arnim))
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    (((Robert Armin))) I have dispatched a flock of Orneries to attend you.

As for prognoses, they are frequently nothing but educated guesses. I was first diagnosed nine years ago (9 November, 2010) with a rare but very aggressive breast cancer. The average survival time for women with that cancer is 3 1/2-4 years. Last summer, when it mutated, I was told I'd be dead by Christmas (albeit with kinder phrasing); now, thanks to a study drug, I have a reprieve of some months. Keep plugging away, and kicking the can down the road. Know that you are in my daily prayers.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    May all the cans be kept moving down long and peaceful roads.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    ... the fat lady hasn't sung yet!
    That's the spirit.

{{{{{RA}}}}}
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    @Robert Armin: Shaking my fist at the heavens for you tonight!
  • (((Robert Armin))) and my prayers.
    Yesterday I was also told that my mother probably only has two weeks left. Taking all medical predictions with a pinch of salt, this is actually good news. She is my only dependent, and I would have hated to go before she does. Let's have everything done in an orderly manner please!
  • What's that old saying about it never rains, but it pours?
    :grimace:

Candle lit for you, @Robert Armin , at Our Place's shrine of Our Lady. I'll add one for your Mum tomorrow.

• Oddly when I lit a candle for you, I ended up praying for your relationship with your mother and things would work out for the best.
  • Jengie Jon wrote: »
    Oddly when I lit a candle for you, I ended up praying for your relationship with your mother and things would work out for the best.

That's lovely. Perhaps you were inspired by the statue of the blessed Mother and Son.
    :heart:
  • Yes indeed, praying for you!
    I'm adding prayers for your mother, @Robert Armin.
    Thank you. I'm with her now. I don't think it can be long.
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    edited November 2019
    Giving thanks for @Galilit's good news and praying for @Robert Armin and his mother, and for @Rossweisse.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayers.
  • Robert, Ross, Gallilit..in my prayers whenever I pray. Not regular, but always heartfelt. It's a bastard disease.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited November 2019
    My m-i-l (who's 90 and suffers from Alzheimer's) has been in hospital for a biopsy on a breast lump. They're still awaiting the results (which aren't looking good), but honestly, how much more can my sister-in-law be expected to take? Her father died six years ago after undergoing a colostomy for cancer, and she's lost her brother (D.) to the same thing.

At least her husband's just been given the all-clear after cancer treatment, but really - fuck cancer and the snake it came in on.
  • Like the coward that I am, I've been avoiding this thread for a few days while I recharge the anger batteries. Meanwhile, wordless prayers for you all.
  • My prayers are added.
  • As are mine.
    Dormouse wrote: »
    Robert, Ross, Gallilit..in my prayers whenever I pray. Not regular, but always heartfelt. It's a bastard disease.
    And you are in mine, as are Robert and Gallilit (and other Shipmates). Thank you.

• I spoke to the doctor about my depression/anxiety/selfharming/ and associated evils. He was sympathetic, and has changed my anti depressant. I have also admitted to Mr D what's been going on. I wait to see what happens next.
  • Dormouse how wise of you to seek help. I would guessing that the depression itself would make it hard for you to bring up the energy to do so. I pray for a positive outcome.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    🕯 @Dormouse
    Doone wrote: »

Echoed
    {{{Dormouse}}}
  • (((Dormouse)))
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    ((Dormouse))
  • Thank you, everyone, for your good wishes and prayers. Much appreciated.
  • We are renovating our bathroom (shower plus toilet plus basin) ahead of my impending disability as my situation deteriorates. Which is miles off I think/hope but we decided to do it NOW rather than under pressure when I REALLY NEED IT. We have a good contractor who has done a lot of jobs here and comes highly recommended. Having missed out on the "interior design" gene AND hating to go through any changes in my housing or living-environment (eg rearranging furniture) it's all a bit strange ...but it's proceeding nicely so far. We are at a small apartment designed for "independent senoirs" which is currently unoccupied. I worried it'd be a stay in Sparta but it's more like a retreat/hermitage
    Living on bluetoothed smart-phone with a 20 cm hot-plate... but got back to the house today ... catching up on everyone
  • What I meant was that I find changes in my house distressing at a cellular level. We relocated a fair bit with my father's job and I think it's done me a damage...
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I hope it's a long time until you need the changes Galilit, but that kind if temporary move can be very disruptive. When I had to move out of my house for earthquake repairs the only way I could cope was heading out of town, otherwise I saw the number 3 bus and just wanted to hop on and go home.
  • 🕯️Dormouse
    🕯️Galilit

🕯️for all
  • NiteowlNiteowl Shipmate
    edited November 2019
    Praying for all in need. 🕯 I am a lurking reader but all of you are in my prayers.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I wondered where you had been, Galilit -- a retreat/hermitage sounds good! Hoping the renovations get done soon.
  • I was glad when a string of major renovations etc came to an end here. Tradies in the place for day after day. Then the bathroom over kitchen sprang a leak and flooded kitchen ceiling and floor. we have been living with large hole in ceiling and pipes etc exposed. We finally found a plumber today who will do what is to him a minor job. in almost three weeks time. More disruption.

Hope your renovation goes smoothly from beginning to end, Gallilit.
  • Dormouse wrote: »
    I spoke to the doctor about my depression/anxiety/selfharming/ and associated evils. He was sympathetic, and has changed my anti depressant. I have also admitted to Mr D what's been going on. I wait to see what happens next.
    Brave Dormouse.

Hang in there, @Galilit!
  • (((((Hugs))))) and prayers for all who have posted here so far.

I guess I am one of the fortunate ones. The uterine cancer that was recently discovered in me was in Stage 1B and had not spread to any lymph nodes. I had a hysterectomy in October and will go through 5 weeks of radiation treatments, 5 days a week, beginning in early December.

This is my second bout with cancer. Back in 2003, I was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer, for which I underwent surgery, radiation and (a mild form of ) chemotherapy. Until my uterine cancer came along, I was cancer-free all those years.

I still say cancer sucks!

I'll be starting chemo again in a week's time, a combination of tablets and injections. Since this will mean more time off I've got to let folk know now. Managing their disappointment is not going to be fun.
  • Oh that is not at all bad, AuthorDiva ...as my second oncologist said to my 19 year old daughter in 2009: " There are processes in the life and reproduction of cancer cells that we don't completely understand yet". That was in reponse to her question "Why has she got cancer again after she was well for 13 years?"
  • Thinking of you RobertArmin .... Yes "people" are indeed disappointed by recurrences. I found it very difficult.

Even more "emotional work" for us!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Praying for you all.
  • Galilit wrote: »
    Oh that is not at all bad, AuthorDiva ...as my second oncologist said to my 19 year old daughter in 2009: " There are processes in the life and reproduction of cancer cells that we don't completely understand yet". That was in reponse to her question "Why has she got cancer again after she was well for 13 years?"

Hopefully, someday they WILL understand what makes cancer work so that they can prevent it from working at all.
    AuthorDiva wrote: »
    Galilit wrote: »
    Oh that is not at all bad, AuthorDiva ...as my second oncologist said to my 19 year old daughter in 2009: " There are processes in the life and reproduction of cancer cells that we don't completely understand yet". That was in reponse to her question "Why has she got cancer again after she was well for 13 years?"

Hopefully, someday they WILL understand what makes cancer work so that they can prevent it from working at all.
    Let us pray.

(I get annoyed with organizations like Komen, which raise money for "the cure." How about working on "the prevention," too?)

• Thinking of you all.
  • Well, my mother manages to be one of the rare post-menopausal women with triple oestrogen negative breast cancer, and with one of the two sentinel nodes removed testing positive. Further investigations pending.

Fuck this, and fuck the fact that my mum's too shattered to discuss it and all information is coming through my father.