Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• I was waiting for my transportation home today after my first radiation treatment. Sitting next to me in the waiting area there was a tall, very thin woman who looked like she was somewhere in her 40s. She was talking on her cell phone. Because I was sitting next to her, close enough to touch her, I could hear every word she was saying.

In a very matter-of-fact way, she told the person on the other end of the line that they were advising her to have chemotherapy so that she might live 2 or 3 years more, rather than 6 months!

I closed my eyes and prayed a prayer for her healing.

I most likely will never see the woman again, but I will keep her in my prayers.
  • Double posting to add:

FUCK CANCER!
  • The treatment rooms are a super place to bless people or pray for them, I find
  • So are ambulances (though I always kept the prayers/blessings silent).
  • The venerable Mom Alves was diagnosed with Stage 4 liver cancer last month, and took her first dose of oral chemotherapy tonight.

Really don’t know what to add.
    Oh no. Your great stories about her make me feel like I know her. All I can suggest is to let her win the Christmas wrapping competition this year -- but you probably already thought of that. It's all just so sad.

((Mom Alves))
    ((All Mom Alves' caregivers))
    ((Robert))
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    AuthorDiva wrote: »
    I was waiting for my transportation home today after my first radiation treatment. Sitting next to me in the waiting area there was a tall, very thin woman who looked like she was somewhere in her 40s. She was talking on her cell phone. Because I was sitting next to her, close enough to touch her, I could hear every word she was saying.

In a very matter-of-fact way, she told the person on the other end of the line that they were advising her to have chemotherapy so that she might live 2 or 3 years more, rather than 6 months!

I closed my eyes and prayed a prayer for her healing.

I most likely will never see the woman again, but I will keep her in my prayers.
    Even a few extra months can mean a lot.

My prayer list is pretty long at this point.

For Vee
    For Mom Alves
    For Robert Armin
    For Galilit
    For all suffering from this horrible, too-clever-by-half disease
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    Even a few extra months can mean a lot.

My prayer list is pretty long at this point.

For Vee
    For Mom Alves
    For Robert Armin
    For Galilit
    For all suffering from this horrible, too-clever-by-half disease

((((((Rossweisse, Vee, Mom Alves, Robert Armin, Galilit)))))) Prayers for you and for all who suffer from cancer.
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    There are times, when I look at the politics of my own country and around the world, when I can feel quite glad about having cancer. Every cloud has a silver l, after all.
  • I think that's a positive thought, @Robert Armin , because I see what you mean.

My own life expectancy is now fairly short (maybe 5 years or so, which is more than many can look forward to, I know), and I, too, am glad that I probably won't see the worst of the catastrophes - social, political, and geographical - that the children of my brother, and my cousins, will probably go through.

• I think that's a positive thought, @Robert Armin , because I see what you mean.

My own life expectancy is now fairly short (maybe 5 years or so, which is more than many can look forward to, I know), and I, too, am glad that I probably won't see the worst of the catastrophes - social, political, and geographical - that the children of my brother, and my cousins, will probably go through.

Life expectancy is an unhelpful number that I try to avoid, because it's almost invariably wrong unless you assign it huge margin of error. I prefer my mother-in-law's admonition: "Live till you die!" which she is doing pretty well.
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    I like the saying, "It's not over till the fat lady sings!". We have no fat ladies in our church choir, so I should go on forever.
  • May Dalila rest in peace and rise in glory. Cancer does indeed suck.
  • Holding Dalila up to the light of The Lord, asking Him to take her into His glorious kingdom.
    I saw the research oncologist today, and persuaded him and his research coordinator to put me back on the study drug. They weren't sure (they were going on about "quality of life," which I genuinely appreciate, but I'd really like to be the one who decides about it, given that it's my life), but agreed after she checked in with some colleagues supervising the study in other places. My liver enzymes have done a major spike in the last week, which is not good, and I think one of the reasons that I'm back in. This is, after all, my last hope.

They promise to check in with me frequently in the next few days. Kyrie eleison.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    #teamRossweisse

For all who post here
  • Amen.
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    edited December 2019
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    put me back on the study drug
    Praying for your amazing strength and the drug's maximum effectiveness. May the Lord bless you and keep you.
  • #teamRossweisse
    (((For all who post here)))
  • ((((((Rossweisse))))))
    ((((((All who post here))))))
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    ((((((Rossweisse))))))
  • You all continue in my prayers.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Mine also 🕯
  • Yikes! always praying...
  • Continuing to pray.
    Thank you.

(((((For all who post here)))))
  • Rossweisse - your comment anent "quality of life" is so important. I keep telling people that we judge anyone else's quality of life at our peril - there's only one person can make that objective judgment while s/he is conscious, and it's not easy at other times. My mother was a long time dying and we had that discussion often, but she was alert and in her right mind while almost nothing else worked. I would not want to go as she did, but she did it her way and quit when she was ready. I imagine the quality of more than a few lives is enriched by following your story. Let there be much more of it!
  • Oh well done, Ross!

I (to myself) thought they took you of it coz if you were puking half of it back up they were going to have their "effective dosages" and other trail statistics b*ggered ...
    Super to hear ...off to have a shower in my just-finished-renovating bath-room - all shiny toilet, tiles, and taps ... (faucets but that doesn't alliterate)

As for me - just began my recovery week
  • *trial statistics* - sorry
    (It took me 5 matches to get the fire lit this morning too!)
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Kyrie eleison for all posting here, and Ross: way to go. Orneries approve remaining in charge while you still can be!
  • I have some good news. Several years ago, I posted about a dear friend who was diagnosed with lymphoma. He has been undergoing chemo therapy since then, and yesterday he was declared to be in remission. No more chemo, just checkups several times a year to make sure he stays in remission.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited December 2019
    Wonderful news. Happy for you and your friend.

Love to all here.

Did not know her, except through my car radio when I lived in the area, but beloved ABC Newcastle broadcaster and ovarian cancer advocate Jill Emberson died of the same overnight.
  • NicoleMR wrote: »
    I have some good news. Several years ago, I posted about a dear friend who was diagnosed with lymphoma. He has been undergoing chemo therapy since then, and yesterday he was declared to be in remission. No more chemo, just checkups several times a year to make sure he stays in remission.

This is wonderful news. May your friend remain in remission for many, many years to come.
    @NicoleMR - That's terrific news! May the damned disease never return.

@Stercus_Tauri, et al - Thank you! Monday night and yesterday were rough, but today I'm much improved. Deo gratias.
  • Ohher wrote: »
    Kyrie eleison for all posting here, and Ross: way to go. Orneries approve remaining in charge while you still can be!

Now I have this mental image of the orneries circling overhead singing, "Kyrie eleison!" Why not?
    If the orneries are to be associated with me, I would hope that they would be singing tunefully. And why not "Kyrie eleison"?
  • Can we add @Lothlorien to this thread? (See the Aging Parents thread)
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Admin Emeritus
    We can indeed. Link.
  • Thanks, @Doc Tor

There is now, I see, a support/prayer thread for Lothlorien on All Saints.
    Loth deserves all the support we can give her. (And that's a great deal of support.)
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Indeed she does. Prayers ascending for her, and for Nicole's friend - Deo gratias!
  • Love and prayers, Loth.

Love and prayers for all.
  • Some time ago I posted about a friend, Rae, who was in pallative care, and reaching the end of her journey. I just heard that she died this morning, peacefully.
  • So sad to hear that, NicoleMR. May she rest in peace, and may all who loved her be comforted.
  • May she rest in peace
    May Rae rest in peace, and may her memory be a blessing.
  • Rest in peace, Rae.

Thoughts with you Nicole, and all who knew Rae.
  • My sympathies, NicoleMR. May Rae rest in peace.
  • My condolences, NicoleMR, and may God grant Rae eternal rest.
  • My prayers for living well.
    Dying well.
    And remembered well.
  • Oh no, I've just been diagnosed with a skin cancer on my nose which will require quite extensive surgery and a reconstruction. This is my 6th foray with cancer which seems to be working its nasty way up my body. I've survived all the surgeries, chemo and radiotherapy so far, so here's hoping. I'm starting to think that cancer 'likes' me.