Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Birthdays and other anniversaries and significant dates

Comments

• Thank you all for your birthday wishes.
    I need more Talisker ...
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    A very happy birthday to you, Twilight!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    ... I need more Talisker ...
    Would some virtual Highland Park do? :smiley:
  • Happy Birthday, Twilight!
  • Piglet wrote: »
    ... I need more Talisker ...
    Would some virtual Highland Park do? :smiley:

A kind offer but fear not, a FF has given me another couple of bottles.

John Crothers has written a good obituary of D in the RSCM's Church Music Quarterly magazine - would you like a copy? If so, PM your address and I'll send.

Thanks very much, @TheOrganist - that would be lovely!

John's a good friend - I think he may have been the organist at St. Martin's when D. wrote the responses for them.

He's also a very good cook and a jolly good chap. :)
  • Thanks for all the kind birthday wishes, yesterday! Fun's over and now I just have to settle down and be 73.

I'm so pleased for The Queen and the PoE for being married almost as long. I've been binge watching, "The Crown," the last few days and it's made me so fond of both of them.
  • I had never looked up people with whom I share an exact birth date, so I just did. The two "celebrities" listed were an actress (American) and an actor (English), neither of whom was the least bit familiar to me. (To protect my own privacy I won't name them.) I guess I'll just have to become famous so there's someone better known born on the date. :wink:
    As far as I know, the only celebs who share my birthday are Mark Spitz, the Olympic swimmer, the actor philip Glenister and Larry Adler the harmonica player.
  • Happy Birthday, Twilight!

• Celebs with my birthday - Mary Queen of Scots, Sinead O'Connor, Sammy Davis Jr, Maximillian Schell, Lee J Cobb, Geoff Hurst and Kim Basinger. Oh yes, John Lennon got shot on my birthday as well :cry:
    That's quite a roll-call, @TheOrganist!
  • Celebs with my birthday - Mary Queen of Scots, Sinead O'Connor, Sammy Davis Jr, Maximillian Schell, Lee J Cobb, Geoff Hurst and Kim Basinger. Oh yes, John Lennon got shot on my birthday as well :cry:

I'm assuming these people shared the day but not the year! :smile:

I do have some famous folks who share my birthday; it's just the ones who share my actual birth date who were so disappointing.
  • And speaking of birthdays, felicitations of the day to Ludwig van Beethoven. Next year will be a biggie, his 250th!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I was just thinking that very thing, Pigwidgeon!!
    Does anyone else think about Schroeder in the Peanuts cartoons whenever they hear Beethoven's birthday mentioned? :smiley:
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Does anyone else think about Schroeder in the Peanuts cartoons whenever they hear Beethoven's birthday mentioned? :smiley:

Of course!!!

The "Peanuts" cartoon of 16 December 1970 was one of the best ever.
    :smile:
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    And speaking of birthdays, felicitations of the day to Ludwig van Beethoven. Next year will be a biggie, his 250th!
    WFMT.org in Chicago has played a good selection of his music today!

• Beethoven’s birthday was also mine!
    Happy birthday, Gill! :)
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    And speaking of birthdays, felicitations of the day to Ludwig van Beethoven. Next year will be a biggie, his 250th!
    WFMT.org in Chicago has played a good selection of his music today!

So has WQXR New York -- and I think even KBAQ Phoenix. WQXR is currently playing the entire Ninth Symphony! Unfortunately, I have a meeting at church before it's over.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    77 today. And the 62 in Barnabas62 reminds me that I've been a Shipmate for 15 years. 77 is just a number, but quite a big one. Reminds me of 77 Sunset Strip and Ed 'Kookie' Burns. Used to have a quiff like Kookie, but not any more!
    Many happy returns, B62 (or should that be B77?). :)
  • Ed Burns is still alive.
  • Ooooh Kookie Burns was a dreamboat to the girls in my high school, thanks for the memory, Barnabas, and thanks for being older than me, it's very gentlemanly of you.
    Happy Birthday!
  • Happy Birthday, Barnabas!
    Many happy returns of the day, @Barnabas62!
  • Happy birthday Barnabas62!
  • Today is the solstice, winter or summer depending on your hemisphere. Here it is the winter, the longest night of the year and the shortest day.
    It starts getting lighter tomorrow morning. Deo gratias!
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Happy birthday, Barnabus!
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Wishing a wonderful "whatever you celebrate" (Hannukkah, Yule, belated Solstice, Kwanzaa, Christmas (on whatever calendar)...). And a happy time to those who don't celebrate anything.
  • Today, January 9th, is the anniversary of the day in 1799 when William Pitt brought in Income Tax as a temporary measure to pay for the war in north America. The original rate was 10% of income on earnings of over £200 per year (c£22,995 in 2020).
    I'm not sure whether that's a cause for celebration or bewailment.

A part of me thinks, "fair enough, if it goes to pay for schools, hospitals, etc., as long as those with the most income pay the most" - as I'm never likely to be one of them - and the other, greedier part, says "sod this for a lark - I want to keep as much of my hard-earned cash as possible".
  • A dear friend (and sometime teenage crush) of mine should be turning 69 today. He disappeared quite a few years ago under suspicious circumstances -- his body has never been found and they've never been able to find out what happened. But I think of him every year on this date, and continue to pray for him (and maybe even for justice).
    :cry:
    <votive> For @Pigwidgeon's friend. May he rest in peace, and may those responsible for his disappearance be brought to justice.

• FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    By some calendrical error I am 70 today.

So far the day has been marked by domestic chaos, as Mr F dropped a bottle of champagne on a shelf of glassware (and yesterday I tipped a waste bin on the kitchen floor and a glass of red on the sitting room carpet).

I shall choose to regard these as auguries of the hatching of a New and Interesting Stage of life.
  • Happy Birthday, Firenze!
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Happy birthday!
    Many happy returns, Firenze! (You don't look anything like 70, btw). :smile:
    Happy birthday to the Birthday Quartet!
    Firenze, Rossweisse, Marmot and Ye Olde Motherboarde!!
    I hope this is a day of no more disasters and many happinesses!
    I didn't realise we had so many birthdays today - many happy returns to them all!

And, now I think about it, belated felicitations to a certain Jedi organist ... :smiley:
    Thank you, Piglet! :blush:
  • Happy birthday, Firenze!
    Thank you, @jedijudy! And the same to you.
  • Today is the 68th anniversary of Her Majesty's accession.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    Today is the 68th anniversary of Her Majesty's accession.

The day George VI died was my eighteenth birthday. I woke up in my dorm room at college, and my roommate said, "Mary". I expected her to say, "Happy Birthday". Instead she said, "King George died!"

Today is my eighty-sixth birthday.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Happy birthday, Moo!
    Many happy returns, Moo! You share a birthday with my dad, who would have been 95 today.
  • Happy Birthday, Moo!!