Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    Oh Ross. I'm a relative newcomer on the ship but I feel really angry on your behalf. Given your state of health, I would say that no-one has any business telling you not to go to church, or to forbid you anything that is for the benefit of your mind, soul and spirit. If I were you (and I do thank God that I am not), I would dig my heels in to fight for what I know is best for me, as you did with the medical specialiasts when they were being unhelpful.

I wish I could have taken you to my church service this morning and we (all 15 of us adults plus a toddler) would have befriended you immediately and done our best to make up for what you risk missing. Don't let anyone cut you life-line!
  • Ross, is there an out-of-the-way bit which could be kept for you where you wouldn't have to risk infected people touching surfaces or breathing on you? From what I've seen of how they love you, I think they'd do it in a heartbeat. You know, rope off a corner?
  • CameronCameron Shipmate
    I am sure everyone feels tremendous sympathy for anyone facing isolation at this time and the comments above are marks of real warmth and kindness.

I share that sense of compassion, but I think we must not encourage or entertain workarounds for recommended isolation from Covid-19. There will be many others frustrated and deeply saddened by isolation (current thinking in the UK is that people over 70 may be isolated for 4 months), but there is a difference between pushing for life-saving treatment and encouraging unnecessary risks.

I do realise the point above will sound censorious and interfering and I am sorry; but in many parts of Europe churches are already closing completely due to the risk from Covid-19.

Oh, and of course: Fuck Cancer, and Covid-19.

• I'm not visiting my mum this weekend for that very reason. Life is closing down and I hate it, but my concerns belong elsewhere. The balancing of physical and mental health at times like this is a subtle art which I don't think is being really entertained or considered beyond those most affected.

As I am in the UK, I look forward to next seeing my mum in mid-July or thereabouts. Kyrie eleison.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    edited March 2020
    I stayed home, and livestreamed the service from the National Cathedral in Washington, DC, along with more than 21,500 other people (including at least a few friends). As difficult as it is, I have to follow the rules, for everyone's sake. (It's hard though. I particularly missed my choir peeps and our music directors choices: For me, Howells will always trump John Rutter.)

My cancer support group has been cancelled for the foreseeable future, but my besties from the group are coming with lunch tomorrow. No hugging allowed...

ETA: Oh, @ThunderBunk, that's terrible! Prayers ascending.

• MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Prayers for you and your mum, ThunderBunk.

((Ross))
  • Mum went into hospital last night, as instructed in light of her raised temperature, and was kept in overnight. One of the many tests was a swab for the coronavirus. That, I am sure, is simply for elimination purposes, but I hope and pray it is duly eliminated.

Spoke to my dad just now. She is reacting exactly as I would have expected, which feels oddly positive. He'll probably give me another ring around lunchtime.

This all feels so bizarrre - it's like being on a different planet, or in a computer game. Surreal.

Prayers for all those living through their own (sur)reality for related reasons.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    I stayed home, and livestreamed the service from the National Cathedral in Washington, DC, along with more than 21,500 other people (including at least a few friends).
    It make me smile to know that I went to church with you this morning Rossweisse at the National Cathedral. I was the one wearing the jeans and a fuzzy pink top, drinking a cup of tea.

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    How civilised GI. :smile:

Ross I'm glad there was a way you could get a little of what you needed.
  • HelenEvaHelenEva Shipmate
    My cousin died suddenly last week. I thought the breast cancer had gone. It hadn't. She was 38. Cancer SUCKS.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Oh that’s awful @HelenEva praying for you all 🕯
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    I worshipped at St Mark's Cathedral, Seattle (Compline at 6.30 am!! = 9.30pm Sunday in Seattle). It was super to see them as I listen regularly to the podcast. It was just so moving to watch them reverently recessing out of a totally stripped Cathedral.
    Then at 8am (ie 7am Roman), I watched the Livestream from the Casa Santa Marta with Franciscus and his flatmates -with simultaneous English translation. But I'm sure I'll learn at least the Our Father in Italian soon!
    All this in my cornflower blue dressing gown (with the hood up as I had a stiff neck from reading Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light in bed last night)
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    So sorry, HelenEva, 38 is only half her share.
  • I am sorry for your loss Helen Eva, indeed a loss to all to leave the world at such a young age. May our Lord fill all hearts with peace in those who loved her.
  • Prayers for everyone in need here.
  • NiteowlNiteowl Shipmate
    Praying for all in need. 🕯
  • HelenEvaHelenEva Shipmate
    Thanks everyone for your good wishes. If you have any prayers to spare please remember my cousin's grieving husband and parents.
  • Because of Covid-19, a serious biopsy and general exploration/excavation of my inner womanly parts has been put on hold. I have some worrisome symptoms that have my medical team concerned, especially since many cousins on both sides of the family have had and currently are fighting cancer. Along with my not being able to get my blood sugar under control and living in a building full of seniors with all sorts of health issues...my stress level is through the roof.

I will triple the amount I pray for all of you, would you keep me in your thoughts as well?
  • AuthorDivaAuthorDiva Shipmate
    edited March 2020
    Prayers and good thoughts for everyone here.

I "attended" Mass on Sunday via the EWTN television channel, with my cat pestering me for attention and doing her best to be a distraction.

According to a directive from the RC Archdiocese of New York, our church will not hold any Masses for the next 4-8 weeks. The church will be open every day for those who wish to make a visit.

It felt really weird to be watching a Mass on television instead of attending in person, and I missed my church friends. Above all, I missed being able to receive Communion, which is very important to me.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    The5thMary - industrial strength prayers for you, that's a lot of stuff all at once.
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    @The5thMary, prayers ascending. And don't feel guilty if you're not able to pray for the rest of us. My ability to pray often shrinks in times of stress.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    @The5thMary very understandable to be worried, prayers for you 🕯
  • @The5thMary prays for you that you may feel peace and our care coming from our hearts for you.
  • Amen. Not knowing is a Bad Thing...
  • My mum is still in hospital, in an isolation room out the back of the oncology ward. I am trying not to go out of my mind - and succeeding most of the time.....
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    My mum is still in hospital, in an isolation room out the back of the oncology ward. I am trying not to go out of my mind - and succeeding most of the time.....

Praying 🕯
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Prayers for @ThunderBunk and ThunderMum.
  • Prayers for @ThunderBunk and ThunderMum.

The Thundrous Mama has arrived home. Now just 12 weeks' isolation to negotiate, along with the rest of the chemo, though she is not having this week's dose.
  • Thank you all. I am praying like mad for all of us in the world. I feel close to many of you, though I've only met in person about four Shippies. I still haven't met mousethief and his wife...guess we'll have to wait some more for that.

Anyway, love to all of you.
  • Love and prayers for @ThunderBunk and @The5thMary and everyone on this thread.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    And from me!
    HelenEva and her cousins' family
    The 5th Mary
    Thunderbunk and Thunder-Mum
    All of us in this "club" esp Ross, RobertArmin, Dormouse
    For all here.
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    I stayed home, and livestreamed the service from the National Cathedral in Washington, DC, along with more than 21,500 other people (including at least a few friends).
    It make me smile to know that I went to church with you this morning Rossweisse at the National Cathedral. I was the one wearing the jeans and a fuzzy pink top, drinking a cup of tea.
    I was the greying blonde in a black turtleneck, trying to get down some of my daily water requirement (big mistake - that was a long service!) with a dilute tortoiseshell cat intermittently seated on her lap.

My parish will start making videos of the Sunday service on Friday mornings, with a cast of ten (as now mandated as the maximum size for groups hereabouts): an SATB quartet, the music director, two priests, two lectors, and a videographer. As I'm a lector, I've signed up to be included, although I suspect that they worry about me too much to use me.

<votive> Praying through, for all, by name.

• PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    Respect!
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    Prayers ascending for @The5thMary @HelenEva and all of you
    I spent the morning at my friendly neighborhood hospital waiting to have several CT scans whilst forcing down some liquid swill and parked under a television that featured Donald Trump ranting against a reporter who asked a perfectly reasonable question. Frankly, I'd rather drink the swill.
  • Oy vey. How did they expect you to keep it down, in such company?
  • Yeah, watching, reading, or audibly hearing anything from The Orange Menace is not good for your health, Ross.

I talked to my doctor today and he said there's no way I can get authorization for my medical procedure. I want to kick myself for putting this off but I know it won't do any good. I am just praying that I don't have cervical cancer. I do have some of the warning signs. Shit!
    (((( @The5thMary ))) I'm praying that you don't have cervical cancer too.

(It wasn't MY idea to get stuck beneath the telly...)

• Thanks, Ross.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    (((@The5thMary )))
    ((@The5thMary))

#teamRossweisse

For all who post here
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited March 2020
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    I spent the morning at my friendly neighborhood hospital waiting to have several CT scans whilst forcing down some liquid swill and parked under a television that featured Donald Trump ranting against a reporter who asked a perfectly reasonable question. Frankly, I'd rather drink the swill.

Kyrie eleison. IMHO, you'd have been quite within your rights to insist on at least the sound being turned off, on account of The Great Orange God-Emperor's demented rantings being actually life-threatening...
    The5thMary wrote: »

I talked to my doctor today and he said there's no way I can get authorization for my medical procedure. I want to kick myself for putting this off but I know it won't do any good. I am just praying that I don't have cervical cancer. I do have some of the warning signs. Shit!

Same thing has happened to one of the folks at Our Place. No indication, understandably, of course, as to if/when the procedure might take place.

Christe eleison.

The 5th Mary <votive>
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    @The5thMary and @Rossweisse 🕯🕯
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Prayers as always for Rossweisse. And now for 5thMary.
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    Ditto for Ross and 5th Mary. I woke up thinking about 5M and the outrageous decision that cancer screening is optional and can be put-off.
  • Adding my prayers. It is things like this which make you realise what a terrible time we are living through. If we do.
  • Buddy's wife had chemo hazmat style 2 days ago. Conversation at 30 feet distance which increased as we realized we could hear each other. Nothing to do but listen. Our results being negative weren't worth discussing.