Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I'm so sorry, Kyzyl. Praying for you and your family and all of Harry's loved ones.
  • Sad to hear Kyzl. Prays for you in what must be very hard, and for all who care.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    🕯
  • I'm so sorry.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    ((Kzyl))
  • PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    Quietly sitting and praying
  • Another checking in - and so pleased to hear from you, Galilit. I was mentioning you only the other day when I heard of another who has to have breast lumps removed and recommending the local anaesthetic choice.

And a cheer for medications that work.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I mentioned in the prayer thread that Kiri Allen, NZ's Civil Defence and Conservation Minister has been diagnosed with stage 3 cervical cancer. What I left out is my anger at discovering how far behind best practice in treating this NZ has fallen. This is particularly galling as the country has a shameful history in this area. In the late 1980s two feminists Sandra Coney and Philida Bunkle published an article about an "experiment" that was taking place at National Women's Hospital in Auckland where, unknown to the women involved, pre-cancerous smears weren't treated, but their progress was observed, which led to women dying unnecessarily. I remember it particularly because I was living in Wellington and had a couple of dodgy smears that were followed up and treated in a timely manner. I remember being relieved later that the doctors I consulted were ethical and that I lived in Wellington. There was a Judicial Inquiry into what was called "An Unfortunate Experiment" headed by Dame Sylvia Cartwright.

I'm glad this thread is in Hell because it's given me a space to realise why I have been incandescent with rage all afternoon. It's taken me until now to put it all together.

I'm still angry, but now I can work out how best to use that anger constructively instead of just seething helplessly.

As Joe Hill said (in a different context), "Don't mourn, Organize."
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    edited April 2021
    Yes, I remember the Judicial Inquiry. I have a friend whose Mum (a doctor herself) was diagnosed at that time ... and died. But my friend checked in the lists and her mother did get treatment in Auckland.
    I would also wonder if even Kiri Allan delayed her testing (and hence diagnosis) out of whakama [shame, embarrassment, self-doubt] like many women, especially Maori women.
    I am also happy not to be living in Aotearoa~New Zealand as I would have had to pay for my drug. (It was only approved to the Free List in April 2020, 2 years after I was diagnosed with breast cancer that had metastasized to my bones.)
  • Re delayed diagnosis, I wondered the same, myself

It takes about 10 years to progress from abnormal result to invasive cancer particularly if the HPV ( human papillomavirus) is of subtypes 16 and 18

The pap smear is now obsolete since late 2017 and has been replaced by CST ( cervical screening test) where each sample is checked for presence of HPV RNA; if that is positive then cells are looked at. The presence of HPV 16 or 18 demands early colposcopy ( a look at the cervix under a microscope) and biopsy
    There are a couple of scenarios played out (from both sides of the desk) re: Women's Troubles with Lady-Parts: "Well lets see if it continues; these things often sort themselves out, you know" or "Let's see if the same thing happens again next month, shall we?"

Which of course you have been saying to yourself for the past 6 months or longer...

[bit of a tangent, but you know...]

• Not in my workplace I can tell you

Happy to say that young Maori women are not so shame-filled when they turn up ( and I see quite a few)

Perhaps because of the aunts/ grandmas etc who have died of cervical cancer

The uptake of teenage HPV vaccine in NZ approaches that of Oz ( 85% for girls, 80% for boys) whichbis heartening
  • HelenEvaHelenEva Shipmate
    My friend's cancer has spread. They are in their 40s and have a partner and two young children. Cancer sucks.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Indeed it does! 🕯
  • KyzylKyzyl Shipmate
    HelenEva wrote: »
    My friend's cancer has spread. They are in their 40s and have a partner and two young children. Cancer sucks.

Prayers ascending.
  • Praying.
    I have a dear friend in the States who has just had complete bone marrow replacement - from her own marrow harvested a while back - as the latest stage of her multiple myeloma treatment. She is now feeling vey rough indeed (though the medics are pleased with her progress). She knows that her life will not last more than a few years, but she is going through all this because she cannot bear the idea of having her elderly father have to grieve for her - she knows she will have to leave her (adult) children, but she wants her Dad to go before her.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    🕯
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Cathscats wrote: »
    Praying.
    I have a dear friend in the States who has just had complete bone marrow replacement - from her own marrow harvested a while back - as the latest stage of her multiple myeloma treatment. She is now feeling vey rough indeed (though the medics are pleased with her progress). She knows that her life will not last more than a few years, but she is going through all this because she cannot bear the idea of having her elderly father have to grieve for her - she knows she will have to leave her (adult) children, but she wants her Dad to go before her.

This will likely give her remission of between 1 and 4 years. But there are treatments available beyond that. Mr F is on 4 years+ on a particular regime.
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    Praying for your friends @Cathscats

My father was too old for bone marrow treatment when he was diagnosed with myeloma in August / September 2014. He's had four different chemo regimes since then, although he ran out of options last September.

The treatment for myeloma seems to be improving all the time, even in the six years since Dad was diagnosed.
  • This is always the sadness - you can work on treatments, but they'll always be too late for some. My current job is working on treatments for "head and neck" cancers - tbh, I'm not quite sure why the somewhat counter-intuitive description - but it's too late for my Dad.
  • There is sorrow in being too late and joy in giving life to others from research. I have known both in my years as a statistician. Most of the time it is more mundane than that.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    I shared on the prayer thread that I was having biopsies in my breasts. Today I got results... cancer in my left breast.
  • So sorry Nicole. May your recovery be swift and easy. Prayers coming.
  • I'm so sorry to hear that @NicoleMR. I've been praying for you daily and will continue to do so.
  • I’m so sorry Nicole! Praying for you!
  • Wow, I am so sorry. Wish we could be there to be nice to you. Please you be nice to yourself?
  • NicoleMR wrote: »
    I shared on the prayer thread that I was having biopsies in my breasts. Today I got results... cancer in my left breast.

So sorry to hear and will be thinking of you on your treatment journey

• MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    Oh NicoleMR I am sorry. Prayers ascending. May the treatment go well.
  • I am so sorry. praying for you 🕯
  • MrsBeakyMrsBeaky Shipmate
    Prayers from here too as you come to terms with this diagnosis and make decisions about how to proceed- may you know yourself held in Love
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Prayers from over here too, Nicole.
  • HelixHelix Shipmate
    So so sad to hear this news - sending love and wisdom as you, and the doctors, navigate the way ahead.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Praying for you, @NicoleMR, so very sorry to hear this.
  • Holding you in prayer @NicoleMR.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    ((( Nicole))),thinking of you.
  • Nicole, my prayers too
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    I'm so sorry to hear this @NicoleMR , praying for you. {{{Nicole}}}
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Admin Emeritus
    On the upside, you know it's there and can do something about it. On the downside, fuck cancer.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    So sorry to hear, Nicole. Prayers ascending.
  • @NicoleMR Praying for you. x
    Prayers ascending, NicoleMR.
    Now you know where you are and you'll make your way forward.
    Lots of worries are over and now is the time for action.
    Thinking of you
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Praying for you and for your treatments to go well, Nicole.
  • Praying for you Nicole.
  • So sorry to hear this Nicole.
  • Prayers for Nicole from me, too.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    ((Nicole))
  • Prayers ascending and hugs travelling through the ether.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Praying for you @NicoleMR .
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Sorry to hear that @NicoleMR . Prayers from here, and I hope the treatment sorts it all out pronto. Good thing you went for that routine mammogram.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    Prayers Nicole. May God hold you in the palm of his hand