Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Fair enough. I'm probably influenced more by thinking of the system here. Pharmac, the drug buying agency, are currently being reviewed mainly due to criticism from The Cancer Society.
  • Yes, I am on a drug that in A~NZ cost $85k a year until March 2020 and considered my self very fortunate to get it in the Free Basket here.
  • HelixHelix Shipmate
    Thoughts for all who are walking this path, who have loved ones walking this path.
  • Galilit wrote: »
    Yes, I am on a drug that in A~NZ cost $85k a year until March 2020 and considered my self very fortunate to get it in the Free Basket here.

Very pleased to hear

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Bloody Hell. That' more than I paid for my house!

I totally take back my ignorant comment.
  • And again I had chemo and all went well though once again they had to take blood through my hand because they couldn't get it through the port.
  • This sounds weird to me - I mean it comes gushing out like a fountain when you put the Port Needle in and it comes out the tube (from the stabby Port Needle) and flows nicely into a test tube thingy with a stopper and then gets sent to the bloods lab .... Then you flush it back up the wee tube with saline and attach the chemo stuff from its hanging tube (that comes from the plastic sack). If I was there, I'd do it for you myself, dear

Again, well done you!
  • This is not cancer GP confirmed today that ultra-sounds did nmot find tumours - but I'm putting it here because I'm not sure where else to put it.
    I had what the hospital called a 'small' heart attack last week, and with blocked arteries, stents not possible, so I've been put on something called Ranolazine for management as best possible treatment along with other pills. How long do I have? Well, that's the how long is a piece of string question. I find my voice wobbling a bit here and there! But otherwise I don't worry- that's wasted energy.

I'm nearly 86 an am so very lucky to have had that time and will take and enjoy every day as it comes. And, you know, the string might be longer than I think!

• DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    ((SusanDoris))
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    May that string be very long, @SusanDoris!
  • You are a brave woman, @SusanDoris.
  • Good luck with everything, SusanDoris.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Admin Emeritus
    I mean, if we're doing "I've not got cancer", I can announce I've not got cancer. Which is nice.

(I had my gallbladder out 8 weeks ago, and had the post-op follow-up today. Dr said "we didn't find any cancer". I wasn't expecting them to, but it's good to have it confirmed since my dad died of pancreatic cancer.)
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    That's excellent news, @Doc Tor .

Sending love to you, @SusanDoris . May your string indeed be long.
  • Sorry to hear that @SusanDoris

@Doc Tor glad you haven't got pancreatic cancer, having seen ken die of it.
  • May your string be long, strong, and unfrayed @SusanDoris.
  • Enjoyed your note so much, SusanDoris! That is the kind of attitude that gets us all through this stuff. I've been avoiding this thread for a while - too much to take in at times; it has been bad among our friends lately. We're just back from a trip to visit a friend whose wife didn't make it through pancreatic cancer.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    SusanDoris wrote: »
    I'm nearly 86 an am so very lucky to have had that time and will take and enjoy every day as it comes. And, you know, the string might be longer than I think!

Use the string for crocheting so that it gets confused. Very best wishes from us.
  • @SusanDoris , I wish you the very best. Your attitude is an inspiration to this 83-year-old. Thank you.
  • Great to hear, SusanDoris!!
  • I'm so pleased you haven't got pancreatic cancer @DocTor, it's a realy nasty oneas you know, having seen another die from it. All best thoughts and wishes for those here with cancer and for those caring for them.

Many thanks for the warm comments above, they really do help tremendously. Although I have only met a few members here many years ago, this is, I have always found, a place of kind andgenuine mutual support.

• I had my last chemo session today!!! Everyone congratulated me, though there was no ceremony or "ringing the bell". I go back in thee weeks for bloodwork, and presumably to talk to the doctor and find out what happens next.
  • Well done! I think you have done exceptionally well and I have been so happy to see that you met it all so bravely (Because I didn't)
  • @NicoleMR
    That is good to hear; it must have been a daunting process to start on and go through - all those chemo treatments. I hope you are able to hear really good news from your doctors.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Super news, @NicoleMR!
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Great news @SusanDoris and @NicoleMR . Good to hear you are OK too @Doc Tor .
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    YaY Nicole. Happy dance!
    Galilit wrote: »
    Well done! I think you have done exceptionally well and I have been so happy to see that you met it all so bravely (Because I didn't)

I had a letter from the hospital yesterday which seemingly contradicted earlier good news. I
    rapidly re-discovered how unstoical I am.
  • Hugs to @Huia.
  • Well done @NicoleMR - glad stage 1 is over.

Hugs to @Huia from here too.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Hugs to @Huia
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Hugs from me as well, @Huia
  • Hugs and prayers to you, @Huia.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Huia, you are in our prayers
  • Oh dear, Huia, I hope its just a miscommunication.
  • Just go one step at a time - check what the letter really means with the writers
    Prayers ascending
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    It wasa miscommunication. I thought I was totally OK, but would need hospital technology involved with the next smear because I'd had a biopsy which would make it more difficult for my own doctor to do. Instead of that they are saying that the smear showed signs of a precursor to cancer, It will not necessarily develop into cancer, but it could.

Rationally I know that's not necessarily bad, but that's what my Dad was told about the prostate cancer which killed him, and that swayed my thinking

I tried to make an appointment with my doctor, but she didn't have a vacancy until some time next week so I gave up. The receptionist must have told the doctor I sounded distressed because she (the doc) rang me and clarified the situation.

I am so relieved to have sorted all that before Christmas when things shut down or people go on holiday and are replaced by strangers (who are perfectly competent but totally unknown).

Sometime in January a committee at the hospital review my notes and what measure have been taken then recommend whether I am referred back to my GP or whether the hospital has a watching brief - personally I'd prefer my G.P who is a brilliant communicator and answers questions that haven't been articulated.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Prayers @Huia.
    One of my (few) good friends has 'cancer'. No one knows quite which one, because it's everywhere they look. The prognosis is likely shitty and short.

I'm not happy.
  • My friend Peter just got the report that his chemo (for pancreatic cancer) has failed. Now it is Christmas, New Year and the Great Kiwi Shutdown of January. (Like August in the Northern Hemisphere).
  • So sorry to hear this @Doc Tor and @Galilit.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    ((@NicoleMR))

((Huia))

Sorry to hear this @Doc Tor

For Peter and those who love him. ((@Galilit))
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Galilit - I suspect the shutdown may be worse that ever this year. Praying for Peter.

Doc Tor - that sucks, Friends are precious.

• So fatigued towards the end of my drug cycle and have all stupid worries about things which will most probably get solved eg my stupid immigration status, my insurance refunds to come, my Christian~Arab pharmacist off on holiday

New Drug is reasonably ok to live with apart fom the first few days after the injection and even that with only minor side effects. Anyway, it'll be monthly after the next one in 10 days. It has a Double Loading Dose. (To "knock it on the head at the beginning" in the vernacular!)

I have a new Comfy Chair which I can move about and place at the perfect angle to see The Fire (woodstove). It has a nice design of flat, wooden arms to put a cup of tea stably. and is a nice charcoaly colour. I have put my cushion with the cute, striped kitties on it too for added happiness and kawaii
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I hope that after the initial blast the effects become more bearable and the worries are solved. The chair sounds wonderful, especially having a place to put your cuppa.

And of course striped kittens are the best, even on a cushion (my tabby told me I had to say that. :smile: )
  • Great news! I have got my drugs sorted long term. The kibbutz has made an arrangement with a pharmacy and so now the cost is met and even the waiting for a refund from the private insurance is off our (personal) backs too
    Mercy! That's almost too much good news to bear in one go. I'd sit down and demand my drink be freshened if it happened to me.
  • Wonderful, Galilit!
  • Good news Galilit!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Excellent news, @Galilit!
  • Good news Galilit - and well done the Kibbutz.