Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• Patdys wrote: »
    Prayers for all on this thread.
    Prayers for the suffering.
    Prayers for the loss.
    For us.
    For others.
    Thank you for my understanding of a God who shares that suffering with us.
    Thank you for my understanding of this community who shares in our revealed suffering with us.
    And cares.
    My prayer is that we all may find aspects of joy this Christmas: in laughter, in tears and in living.
    My prayer is that we continually find hope.

Amen
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    edited December 2018
    ...TBH, this is a Complete Doddle in comparison with what others on this thread are facing (Rossweisse, I'm looking at you!).
    No, it's not. Irreversible brain damage is huge. I am so sorry.

<votive> For Tom and his family, and for the Beakies, and for all who suffer from cancer.
    From Patdys:
    Prayers for all on this thread.
    Prayers for the suffering.
    Prayers for the loss.
    For us.
    For others.
    Thank you for my understanding of a God who shares that suffering with us.
    Thank you for my understanding of this community who shares in our revealed suffering with us.
    And cares.
    My prayer is that we all may find aspects of joy this Christmas: in laughter, in tears and in living.
    My prayer is that we continually find hope.

Fuck you cancer.
    Thank you for this, and amen.

• This is a bit tangential, but one thing about my cancer is that it is unlikely to be the cause of my death. (Please read with tone of irony!) I have spent the last five days in hospital - angiogram, MRI, X-ray, ECGs all indicate that I have only one functioning out of the three heart arteries and even that one is a bit dodgy. Consultations to follow but I think the treatment will be increased medication. But, you know, I'd rather lose ten minutes off the end of life rather than stop doing the things I do. I will, therefore, make sure the tap group know after Christmas asap all the steps right to the end of the St Louis Blues just in case! Ah, well!
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Take care, SusanDoris.
  • Amen to that, and meanwhile full marks to SusanDoris for her positive attitude!
    :wink:
  • Mary Louise and Bishops Finger
    Thank you! Older son visited today and helped me sort out a new system for getting the pill selection correct for mornings and evenings, and read out instructions for what to do and not do during the next few days.
  • Mrs G's funeral went well. We did her proud. I can honestly say that in the final weeks of her life nothing was left unsaid, nothing was left undone.

The officiating cleric restored my faith in the clergy after an egregious run in with another clergy person ... of which the least said the better.

The setting was sublime, the music apposite and the tributes lovely. I was able to give a tribute of my own - raw, full of 'hwyl' but ranging from Dylan Thomas to T S Eliot and ending with a falling cadence, a 'still, small voice.'

Cancer destroyed my wife's body. It could not destroy her essence. It could not destroy her soul.
  • Gamma Gamaliel
    It is very good to hear that all was done with all the right things said and done. It sounds as if, knowing this, you will have that to help you through the coming year.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Thank you so much for this, Gamaliel. God bless you and your family and keep you in a place of peace.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    {{{Gamaliel and family, and Susan Doris}}}
  • Amen. Thanks, GG.
  • Gamma Gamaliel, may your family's memories always be of your wife's essence.

Susan Doris, if you are sorting medication and instructions it sounds as if you are back at home? As others said, take care.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    GG, thank you for sharing that loving tribute to your wife.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Thank you, GG. Good to hear from you.
    ...Cancer destroyed my wife's body. It could not destroy her essence. It could not destroy her soul.
    Amen.

Thank you, GG.

• MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Beautiful, GG, thank you.
  • GG, it sounds like there is a certain amount of the whole "peace that passes understanding" going on there. We had it after my mother died. Cancer took my father in September and while things went well, the last three months without him have been horrible. I'll try to muster up some of the goodness that you have shared.
  • It is surely through the grace of God, and that alone, that we can cope with the sort of stuff GG and others have mentioned on this thread.

Jesu, mercy. Mary, pray.
  • Prayers for all. Death cannot separate us from those we love. They live on in our hearts, our stories and our lives. A prayer for peace GG.
  • Amen. Much love from the Antipodes, GG, and the same love to all affected by cancer.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited December 2018
    I'm not sure if this is an appropriate sentiment, but it does seem to me that sometimes physical Death is the ultimate Healing, at least for believers.

Discuss.

BTW, I say this as one who has a limited life-expectancy - 3 to 5 years.
    I'm not sure if this is an appropriate sentiment, but it does seem to me that sometimes physical Death is the ultimate Healing, at least for believers. ...
    Oh, absolutely. I learned that from my mother, who prayed for healing for those in need, but believed in letting God decide what form that healing should take.

edited December 2018
    I was once (many years ago) acting as Duty Chaplain for the day at our Cathedral, and was approached by an (obviously distressed) lady who asked me if it was OK to pray for someone to die.

IIRC, I answered somewhat along those lines, though I never got to learn of the details, or the outcome. None of my business, anyhoo - I said what words of comfort I could, lit a candle, and left it to God to sort out....

The incident has always stuck in my mind - perhaps 40 years on - and now, in a somewhat parlous condition myself, seems just as valid a reaction/thought as then!

'A sharp medicine, but a cure for all ills', as Sir Walter Raleigh put it, when about to be executed....
  • When my mother contracted cancer, I found I could not pray for her to get better, as I knew too much about what the treatment would likely entail. And then, if she did recover, she would have to go through it all again, or something else, to achieve the end of her life (she was 80). So I prayed for a bearable passing, and she died within 12 weeks, having spent her time saying farewells and making things and herself ready.
    edited December 2018
    I do (really) see what you mean.

My adoptive mother suffered severe burns at the age of 92. Her house also suffered severe damage (a gas explosion), so there was little possibility of her returning home, even if she'd survived the injuries sustained.

Her peaceful death, a few days later, was indeed a merciful release, and I know I was joined in prayer by the wonderfully supportive Hospital Chaplain (a Tower of Strength, if ever there was - and a busy parish priest to boot) in petitioning for such an outcome.
  • If it might help someone else I just want to say it is totally worth it to look for another doctor's opinion in some cases. Mr Image has kidney cancer, he also bleeds easily, and has massive scar tissue on abdominal walls from surgery as an infant. First urologist said he was unable to get the biopsy sample he wanted, but planned 3 rounds of chemo first then operation which would require him to cut large incision other then usual route due to scar tissue. Blood would be on hand for transfusion if needed. Chemo doctor suggested we travel some distance to see another doctor who specialized in kidney cancer. ( Who knew there was such a doctor?) New doctor was able to get good kidney sample, had biopsy report which said, non invasive slow growing type of cancer. No chemo needed other then some he will place in bladder at time of surgery. He will be removing kidney by several small incisions orthoscopely, ( spelling?) so way less bleeding and recovery time. Had chemo doctor not suggested we seek second opinion we would never have done so, and have put dear Mr Image through a very hard time. We are now very encouraged and far less worried about kidney removal, and very grateful he can avoid chemo. I hope by sharing this some on this thread might find it a helpful suggestion.
    Thank you, Graven Image; that's an important lesson.

What a relief that he can avoid chemo! Prayers ascending for you both.

• Graven Image - a good lesson in not giving up. I find it hard to read and write about this stuff now - seen so much of what you wrote about in a close friend and a close relative in recent months. Kept one, and lost the other. Now another friend is heading into breast cancer treatment, not much enjoying the chemo part of it. I gave her my T shirt that says, "I have chemo brain - what's your excuse?" A little laughter and the occasional glass of wine, if you can still take it, probably don't cure the cancer, but they do help to deal with it.
    ...A little laughter and the occasional glass of wine, if you can still take it, probably don't cure the cancer, but they do help to deal with it.
    I'll drink to that.

• GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    edited December 2018
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    I'll drink to that.

Me too ... on Friday night - end of drug-cycle!

edited December 2018
    Yay, Galilit!

My chemo pill dosage was doubled this week. (It was supposed to happen on Christmas Eve, but I gave myself until Boxing Day to start the higher dose, just in case.) Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have interfered with the taste of wine or chocolate.

• Rossweisse wrote: »
    Yay, Galilit!

...Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have interfered with the taste of wine or chocolate.
    More proof that God loves you.

• A toast and a prayer to all for a better year ahead.
  • I'll drink to that.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Admin Emeritus
    You'll drink to anything!
    edited January 2019
    Anyway. A toast, to all who need to post here. A spit in cancer's eye and may you last the year.
    edited January 2019
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    Yay, Galilit!

My chemo pill dosage was doubled this week. (It was supposed to happen on Christmas Eve, but I gave myself until Boxing Day to start the higher dose, just in case.) Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have interfered with the taste of wine or chocolate.

Really, that says it all.
    :grin:

I have by me a bottle of a fine Vintage Beaujolais Nouveau (see the BBC sitcom Only Fools and Horses ), and some nice biscuits which are just an excuse for eating Dark Chocolate.

I may get a bit of a headache, but who cares? I have nowhere I have to be until Sunday!

Best wishes to all with BIG C, or derivatives thereof, in 2019.

You WILL prevail, one way or another!

(BTW, do I detect a certain WTF? amongst the denizens of this Hellish, but Helpful, thread?)

• At the end of Mass today a young couple who'd driven a considerable distance to light a Candle at our Mary Chapel came in. They had a young child with them and the story I got is she had just been diagnosed with breast cancer.

I have mixed feelings over some cases of cancer. However, this time it is just a blighter.
    edited January 2019
    Indeed it is - but, JJ, your church is now in a position to offer the family help, support, and prayer, for which God be praised!

And I know that this will be forthcoming.....

O how important it is to have the church doors open and welcoming! You really never know who is likely to come over that threshold.....
  • Yes, indeed it will/is doing.

Well, something else in my left hip seems to have collapsed, making it even more painful and difficult to walk. At the last minute yesterday, I was scheduled for a ScanFest on Friday morning. First co-pay of the new year!

(On the plus side, I've become pretty good at maneuvering the wheelchair around. Sometimes the cats even hop aboard for a ride.)

• Well done with the wheelchair manoeuvres. Quite an image is painted in the mind with the cats.

All the best for Friday.
    Thanks, Climacus. (One of said felines is named Aida; when she rides along, I whistle the Triumphal March from her opera.)
    edited January 2019
    LOL!

I wheeled myself around the Church at Mass last Sunday in the new Episcopal Chariot, partly because my legs were really painful, and also as an experiment to see how wheelchair-friendly the Church actually is.

Answer - Not Very. The nave is OK - plenty of room, and the main door is on the level, but access to the sanctuary, side chapels, and vestry, requires at least one step (or more) to be negotiated. I knew this beforehand, of course.

So, if anyone has a few thousand £££ to spare for a Poor Parish, we need to do some work in providing ramps. handrails etc. One local church has indeed done that, with the result that anyone needing wheels can easily get to the lectern and/or the altar - and in a mediaeval building, no less!

If I beg, borrow, or steal some Cats, they might add some light relief. I was pleasantly surprised to find that no-one was at all fazed or discombobulated by seeing me whizzing skilfully (yes, really) around the Church, though one or two did show concern that I Had Come To This.....

(BTW - I wonder if we need a separate thread, not necessarily here in the Hot Place, to share/moan about the experience of being physically challenged.....?)
    (BTW - I wonder if we need a separate thread, not necessarily here in the Hot Place, to share/moan about the experience of being physically challenged.....?)

All Saints would probably be your best bet - I can mention it to the Hosts, or you can just go ahead and open a thread.

DT
    HH
    edited January 2019
    I hear and obey, O King, and will open a thread in All Saints.
    :wink:
  • Prayers continue to ascend for those dealing with the gift that never stops giving. I may have a cracked/fractured rib thanks to radiotherapy weakening my ribs...
    Ouch, Dormouse! My physical therapist said that I have, essentially, an 88-year-old neck, between an old whiplash injury, scoliosis, cancer, and chemotherapy. I just hope the rest of me stays at the proper age.

• Rossweisse, your mind and heart are young and sharp even if the body is lacking it's proper age.
  • Very belated condolences to GG and family. What a beautiful tribute to Mrs. GG. Continued prayers for you, Ross, BF, and all the fighters on this thread.